Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 120017 times)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen nods. Though painful, the bolt wouldn't prove life threatening... Probably. He holds his blade at the ready, looking to Cyanwrath.

"If you are."

Let's roll initiative and get this duel started!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Johanna could only watch helplessly from the battlements. She only had pitiful flickers of her magic left, was quite exhausted, and still feeling the aftereffects of her drycast.

Still, she could manage a proper Dwarven shout in his support.

"...Cave in his scaly crown, boy!"

She wasn't quite sure how this was going to turn out, despite her bravado. Arwen was already injured, and had been fighting all day...now facing a seven foot tall Lizardknight(?) who was no doubt fresh on the battlefield...but, if they saved the innocent woman...

Action: Knowledge checks. Can I identify the creatures species?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Initiative: (click to show/hide)
"You want to go next, dwarf?"
Cyanwrath is slightly distracted in responding to the taunting and so is a second too slow on the uptake, and Arwen sees an opening to attack.

(Arcana check: 11+5, Success!)
Johanna figures that this is a Half-Dragon, the child of a dragon and another creature. Shialathrax mentioned them to her once or twice, but never clarified their abilities.

Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen swings his blade light a flash of lightning, aiming for the Dragon's neck! Shouldn't have looked away.

Arwen attempts to behead the dragon while he's not paying attention!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Attack roll with Advantage: 17, 20+6, CRITICAL HIT!!! 2+6+4 damage!)
(I'm going to step in and activate your Action Surge for you, because this might be the only turn you get Advantage, so take full advantage of Advantage.)
(Attack roll with Advantage: 9, 20+6, CRITICAL HIT!!! 8+6+4 damage!)
(I swear, I'm not fudging these rolls!)

Arwen lunges in and swings with all his might, bringing his sword into the creature's neck, once, twice. The first swing opens a large gash in his neck, and the second swing rips it larger, but thick tendons and scaly skin prevent you from cleaving off his head. He's bleeding heavily from the wound, though, which is a good sign.
What's not so good is the rage in his eyes, and the draconic scream of pain and fury roaring from his maw.
"RRRAAAGGGHHH!"
(Attack roll: ... 20, Success! 18 damage!)
He raises his greatsword high above his head, and slams it down, but the human tries to bring his shield up to block it, but it was bisected. The blow catches Arwen on the shoulder, cutting deep, nearly half way through and the force throws him to the ground. Through blurry eyes, he watches as Cyanwrath stands over him, hot dragon blood splashing on the warrior's chainmail. After catching his breath, Cyanwrath squats over the fallen fighter.
"Where'd you learn to fight? Town guard? A few skirmishes with bandits is all? Maybe a few more battles tonight? I could see your inexperience the moment you stepped out of the gate. You're as green as a Bullywug. And I'll make sure you stay that way."
Cyanwrath stands back up, oblivious to the still bleeding wound on his neck.
"This is your best fighter, Greenest?! This boy is your champion?! I felled him with one swing!"
The darkness is quickly blotting out Arwen's vision as he sees his opponent bring his greatsword down, point first. He blacks out.
One death save fail forced!

From the keep, all the party can do is watch as Cyanwrath brings his sword down upon their companion. Nighthill gives a shout, and they see two healers burst out of the gate towards the fallen champion. Outside the keep, the half-dragon gestures to his kobolds, and they let the woman go. Cyanwrath turns to rejoin his kobolds. They surround him and the cultists leave before they can take fire from the keep.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"...Go! Hurry! He needs help! We saved your town, now you don't let him die!" Johanna said to the healers, staggering down to the gate with them. She knew only a bit of medicine, but was certainly able to assist...

Action: Go to mourn/comfort my dying/dead comrade. If I make it in time, use an aid action to help the healing.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:27:54 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Mirella watched, stunned, as Arwen went down under a single blow from the cultist leader's greatsword.  As the gate rose, she rushed out with the two healers, ready to help. 

Go to Arwen, help the healers stabilize him using the Healing Kit

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Johanna saw Mirella's grim look, mirrored by her own-but she tried to comfort her as they ran to help.

"...Don't worry Mirella, that boys heart is strong as granite. He'll make it. I know he will." She said confidently.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Turn 2 Death Save: 19!)
(Turn 3 Death Save: 8!)
With Arwen on the brink of death, Mirella and the healers break out their kits and quickly stabilize Arwen. He'll be out for a few hours, but he'll live.

You all gain 50 XP! That should put you at 945 XP! LEVEL UP!
Except Dwarmin, until they pass the doritos back.

Back in the keep, the Governor insists that you take a rest. You've certainly earned it. It's about three in the morning, and you all are exhausted. Arwen regains consciousness after an hour.

In addition to sleeping, do you have anything you'd like to do during your long rest?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Once Arwen was alright, Johanna nodded to herself.

"I guess we won." She said, leaning against a wall and immediately falling asleep in place.

Action: Johanna really sleeps like a stone and dreams of warm mutton and red wine.

In the morning, however, she's on the lookout for magic to pad her spell book-searching for any magic tomes/scrolls/writings that might have been left among the dead enemies, and asking the mayor if the town has anything to properly reward a Wizard, rare books and such.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:09:55 pm by Dwarmin »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Intermission.
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »

Johanna:
While the party slept, the raiders had slipped out of town, leaving their dead where they fell. Sadly, there weren't too many. In addition to those that the party slew, the town guard was surprised and quickly driven back, but not before downing twelve cultists and twenty-six kobolds. The guard has dragged the bodies outside of town into a mass grave, which they haven't filled in. When you ask if you can search the bodies, they shrug.
(Investigation: 1+5, 6/20 is 30% of appropriate treasure reward. Note to self: 41, 8, 6.)
Looks like the cultists and the guards have picked the bodies almost completely clean of any salable goods, you still are able to find some items of value.
The coinage remaining totals 570 copper pieces, 240 silver pieces, and 12 gold pieces. 41.7 gold pieces. Not a whole lot, but it'll have to do.
A scroll case, with a parchment with arcane runes inscribed on it. It will take some study to identify its contents. (Arcana check: 9+5) A cursory glance suggests that it is a cantrip of the Evocation school.
Two stones, hidden in the depths of pockets. One is a transparent pale blue, while the other is opaque light blue with yellow flecks.
Of course, there are their weapons, armor and clothes. You could easily find any simple weapon, and with some more difficulty, probably a martial weapon.
You could also try to search the corpses again, but it would be difficult. (Johanna would make the check at Disadvantage, and the total of the party's best Investigation result would be subtracted from the new roll. Others would make the check normally their first time. All of their subsequent times are made at Disadvantage.
        For example, if she rolled a 17 and a 6+5, that 11 or 6+5 would receive a -6 penalty, so she would only find another 5/20 or 25% of the treasure. From there, all further checks would receive a -11, until someone gets a result larger than 11.)

Back at the keep, the governor apologizes for not being able to properly reward you for all you have done. "We have no wizards in residence here, and my treasury contains nothing you could use. All I can give you is this, for the entire group. I trust you will fairly distribute it?" He gives you a pouch of gold coins. At first glance, it probably has about... 120? 125? GP in it. "Also, next time you see Arwen, tell him that I have some healing potions for him. When you're fully rested, please gather your company. I must make one more request of you."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 29, 2015, 06:35:29 pm »

"Aye, rewards not about what we're doing. What ye can spare is more than enough...still, if you have books of history or local myth and lore gathering dust somewhere, I'd love to have a look at them...I'll tell my friends once we're properly rested about the other things.

...Also, I have to ask, Mayor-how many did we lose? Is Greenest going to recover from this?"
Johanna said, feeling guilty. They had done so much...but, she had to know how many she had failed...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 29, 2015, 07:51:25 pm »

Mirella awoke, still slightly groggy from the night before.  After some time in the keep's chapel meditating, she returned the borrowed crossbow to the armory, then entered the tower where the healers had set up to help the people who had been injured in the previous day's events.  She hadn't been able to aid them before due to her injuries, followed up so suddenly by the dragon, but this time, she could at least do something to help. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 29, 2015, 11:15:03 pm »

Johanna:
"I have a small library in my study. It's not very impressive, but I have a few first editions, and my predecessor had a fascination with dragons, and collected a number of tomes on the subject. They may prove useful if you wish to pursue this dragon cult." Nighthill leads you up to the second level in the keep's tower, which contains his personal quarters, a dining hall and a study. Inside the study are a few comfortable arm chairs of varying sizes, likely for guests of various sizes. One wall is covered with shelves containing maybe a hundred books, while the others are covered in tapestries and some assorted hunting trophies. An unlit fireplace sits in one wall, but it should be unnecessary, light streams in through slit windows. The governor pauses at the door, pondering how to answer your second question.
"Fourteen townsfolk lost their lives. Dozens more are injured, or are still missing. The town guard lost fifteen of its ranks, including those who fell to dragon fire. I can only imagine what the losses would have been if you had not intervened. Greenest will recover, but it may take years. The stolen goods will be earned back, the wounds will heal, and the dead will be buried. If you'll excuse me, there is much to do."
With that, he closes the door behind you, leaving you to your thoughts and the books.

Mirella:
Mirella had never been inside of a field hospital before last night, and so wasn't sure what to expect. Last night hadn't been too bad when she stopped by for a bit of healing. Clearly, things had gotten worse, and you are in the aftermath. The stench of stale blood clogs your nostrils when you enter. The soft moans of the dozen or so wounded fills the room, the two still working healers working silently. Most 'beds' have been cleared out of the room, and the cloths used to cover them are thrown absentmindedly in the corner, stained a dark red-brown. A table is covered in bloody, used blades, wash clothes and bandages.
You find yourself by the bedside of a young man, maybe mid-twenties. He's out cold, and it seems like he's in nearly perfect health, except for these bright red, feathery burns lacing all over his body. They are strangely beautiful, despite the fact that some have opened up, and are  bleeding, and scabbing over. He's not in danger of dying any more, but he could still use some care.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2015, 09:45:57 am »

Mirella flinched slightly from the smell as she approached the field hospital, but entered regardless.  After a brief discussion with the healers, they directed her to one of the less dire patients.  From his apparent condition, he didn't seem to need direct divine intervention, but more mundane care instead.  "Don't worry," she murmured, as she began to go about her work to salve and bandage the wounds.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 94