Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119962 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

"Yeah, but my illusion spells have limits. I can summon a tiny Dragon, probably not all the right color, with a voice that may not match it's gender, and also, it doesn't know it's own name. or anything the cultists might ask it...Lathander is up to the artists imagination, though. Better to invoke something we know the enemy won't be able to see through or explain away rationally.

I'd also rather risk an illusion being shot with an arrow, anywho, than Sweetpea-she's pushed her luck alot today for us...what good is my magic if I let my friend die doing what I could do the job much easier?

Honestly, we don't have anything to lose. Even if they end up laughing and rolling on the ground, and the Gods turn me into a toad afterwards, it's still a distraction."
Johanna scoffs.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Mirella's train of thought completely and visibly derailed at a particular statement of Johanna's, as she looked slightly quizzical for a moment.  "A...tiny dragon?  My apologies, but precisely how large were you planning on making this image of Lathander?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Oh, about 15ft tall, with eyes blazing like the morning sun...

But, that's small for a Dragon, hey? It's all perspective. Who knows how large the Gods really are!"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Sweatpea offered Johanna a smile at her concern.
"Nah, it's ok. I don't mind a bit of risk for my friends. This plan sounds good. If I could summon a dragon whenever I think thigns woulda been a lot better for me."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

"I would much prefer not to risk anyone here as well.  We'll try the illusion first.  If that fails, we can try more conventional methods to distract the opponents."  Stepping back, Mirella walked along the room, studying the altars carefully.  The temple was small compared to many, but she knew it would be some time before she would be able to return, if ever.  If nothing else, she could write of it in her journal.  Finally, she stopped before the altar to Selūne, and there began to silently pray. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BOOM
19/30 (-7) HP on the door!

Map.
Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Whatever you're gonna do, do it quick!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Action: All right, we go all in!

1. Mirella does the following (two-step with the Thaumaturgy - the action round immediately before the illusion to make the enemy's torches all flare up, which should intensify any shadows, ruin the enemies' night vision, and also be emblematic of the impending arrival of the God of the Sun; then the action round of the illusion to make some tremors centered on where we set the illusion down.)

2. Johanna burns an inspiration point and dry casts Silent Image on the roof, making an image of a 15ft Lathander, angrily descending from the heavens in a blaze of sunlight, hands on his hips. Note, Lathander is your basic God deity-handsome, golden haired, sunlight blazing eyes, wearing all white ensemble with an epic flowing cape. If successful, she uses the God's image as cover to fling a few firebolts of her around from the corner of the roof, causing panic in the enemies ranks!

3. Arwen, meanwhile, is also on the ladder-he uses his best booming Draconic voice to call down his wrath upon the Kobolds and warn them to flee before he incinerates them all with his Godly wrath. Intimidate check!

4. Sweetpea, meanwhile, watches and waits for the distraction to work (or not work). If it does, she leads the civilians out and away, scouting ahead. Of course, all of us leave then too.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen takes a deep breath, and then lets out a roar as he begins his terrifying speech!

<"WHO DARES DISTURB THE SLUMBER OF AR'TORAK, HE WHO FLIES THE FIERY SEAS OF HELL, SWALLOWS STARS AND SUNS, AND MAKES LESSER GODS TREMBLE AT THE MERE MENTION OF HIS NAME?! FOR A THOUSAND YEARS I SLUMBERED IN THIS PITIFUL ABODE, WAITING FOR THE CELESTIAL ALIGNMENT SO THAT I MAY DEVOUR THIS WORLD AND THE SUN THAT SHINES UPON IT, AND NOW I AM AWOKEN?! THREE HUNDRED YEARS EARLY?! THE HUMANS WERE A NICE SNACK, BUT NEXT IS THE FOOLS WHO DARE TO TRY TO ENTER MY DOMAIN! FLEE OR BE DEVOURED, WORMS!"

And all the while all he can think is "Please work please work please work."

Intimidate check with that noise above, and INSPIRATION GOOOOOOOOOOO.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Follow the plan!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

And off we go.  Also, make sure Sweetpea has my length of rope so everyone has a way off the back of the roof.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Three of you creep on to the roof and begin casting spells. You hear a woosh as the torches flare up, which leads to some gasps in astonishment from the assembled raiders, which is soon followed by the roof rattling.
Breathless moments, for the raiders, later, in a bolt of blinding sunlight, a divinely figure appears on the edge of the roof and looks down upon the assembled raiders. Johanna doubles over in pain as she stretches her power to beyond the max (4+5 damage from drycasting! Con save: 4+3 is a failure!).
Arwen takes a deep breath and bellows as imperiously as he can, while Johanna does her best to match the figure's mouth with Arwen's speech. (Arwen: Intimidation with Advantage: 3 and 13+3. Johanna: Deception from Int: 4+3.) Johanna, completely thrown off guard by Arwen's deviation from the plan by not pretending to be Lathander, messes up the lipsync, but none of the cultists seem to notice or care as they drop their battering ram and flee the scene.
Meanwhile, Sweetpea and Eadyan have been getting the townsfolk ready to move, (Charisma check: 4+3) but only the priest has been able to get through to them in their near panicking state. Once given the go ahead from the roof, Sweetpea takes off with the townsfolk in tow.
The circling group of cultists rounds a corner to see a towering figure on the roof, with no sign of their allies, except a discarded battering ram and scorch marks on the ground from Johanna's firebolts. They decide it best to take their raiding elsewhere.

The group, now finally free, begins to lead the rescued townsfolk back to the sewer pipe, but it is not easy to mask dozens of townsfolk, and you are set upon by raiders about half way through your journey. Two packs flank your train of townsfolk as they dash from cover of building to building, one made of a cultist with two giant lizards padding along by her side, and another of two cultists, one of whom is unarmed, and a kobold.
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
It is Sweetpea's turn.
Map.
Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Unarmed? Probably magic...

Attack the unarmed cultist. Then back to the standard drill.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:52:35 am by GiglameshDespair »

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Arwen hurls himself at the female cultist who's surrounded by the lizards! She seems powerful, and these people need to get away.

Arwen swings his blade at the mysterious woman, then calls upon his ACTION SURGE to swing again!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Johanna was on her last legs-leaning on her hammer to keep from falling to the ground, bleeding from her nostrils from the strain of casting such dire magic, caked in grime, sweat, and gore. She couldn't really see anything anymore-it was all a haze of pain and exhaustion. She was sure those shaky blobs on the horizon were enemies, though. She couldn't let them through...if she held off a single stroke of a blade...or took it upon herself...it would be one less to harm those behind her, or her friends-she reasoned this, slowly and painfully.

Johanna had little regrets. She had used her powers to save lives today. A lifetime spent as an idle noble would not have achieved the good work she had done in the space of a single afternoon. It was a worthy trade...one she could understand, having been raised by merchants. There was profit in this.

"Aye, s'about time...I'm going out...I did good...me families name, done proud..." She muttered to herself. At the same time, she began the agonizing process of lifting her hammer...for one last strike. It seemed like an eternity, but she bent all her willpower, and fading strength upon this final task.

"Me name's...Johanna...Stonesthrow...and, ye ain't killed me yet...come on, yer bastards...I'll show ye...the way...I'm going out, but I'll hold the door open for yet...don't ye doubt..."

The hammer continued to rise.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 94