Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: A Much Delayed End.  (Read 119803 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. IC Thread: Chapter 4: On The Road.
« Reply #1365 on: August 03, 2017, 06:09:45 am »

Cora nodded, with a slight grin. "Dwaine, if your suspicions were as I believe, you were correct - dragon eggs. Specifically for Black Dragons. About three hundred more days to hatch naturally if you let them, or much much quicker if you mean to intervene." Cora says, with supreme confidence that her assessment is correct. She turns to Arwen. "I have to ask, where did you find these? Dragons may not be particularly nurturing parents, but I somewhat doubt you just stumbled onto such a rare find."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: August 03, 2017, 08:46:04 am »

"We found them in a cave. Specifically a cave occupied and guarded by a cult of Chromatic Dragon worshipers who had recently raided a town and more worse besides. That was the business I was alluding to before-we were tossing as many spanners as we could into their works, and figured that thing would be better in our hands than theirs.

Didn't see any Black Dragons, though-there was a Blue one, who attacked the town. Lennithon was his name. Or maybe her name, I'm not really sure.

What are we going to do with it anyway?"
Johanna asked.

In the days to come, those words would echo in her head as she found out how very useful Draconic 'by-products' could be...she would wonder that a cult so intent on venerating Dragons as Gods had a suspiciously generous amount of knowledge about what to do with them when they were dead, and consider that perhaps the Dragon Egg has been meant for no more than spell fodder.

She would feel slightly guilty to be considering those thoughts herself.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: August 03, 2017, 12:50:25 pm »

In the days to come, those words would echo in her head as she found out how very useful Draconic 'by-products' could be...she would wonder that a cult so intent on venerating Dragons as Gods had a suspiciously generous amount of knowledge about what to do with them when they were dead, and consider that perhaps the Dragon Egg has been meant for no more than spell fodder.

She would feel slightly guilty to be considering those thoughts herself.
The subject of using Godlings in dark rituals is a matter of great debate. In a previous incarnation of the cult, a sermon on the issue had been recorded in Johanna's black little book.
Quote from: An Excerpt
...While Dragons, in all their glory, seem infinite, even to those races to whom the passage of centuries is but a mere season, They too are ultimately mortal. This is further, undeniable proof that the universe is unjust: that such a wondorous avatar of all that IS, should be plucked by the fickle hands of death, from this world? A tragedy unlike any other. This is why, when we war with the brethren of our Masters, we are not committing heresy, but instead, we are liberators! We free our Masters from the prison that is the flesh, releasing them into true freedom, Dracolichdom! That hesitation you feel when you raise your blade to slay a dragon, crush its eggs, and drink deeply of its blood? BANISH IT! You have been called upon to be the hand that acts out the will of the Masters, and it is the highest honor to answer! Act with swiftness...

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: August 04, 2017, 12:14:20 pm »

"... I saw we keep it." Arwen is now very close to the egg, looking down at it with almost partental affection.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: August 04, 2017, 03:05:46 pm »

Johanna recalled a conversation they had had, seemed so long before...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"I'm not sure we could do that, Arwen...I'll be honest, I think we need some advice before we go hatching rotten eggs. It might turn out to be like a Devil-totally evil, unalterably so. You could say inherently evil. We'd be trying to raise a monster...and it'd outlive us all even if we all lived to a ripe old age. The job might just be too big for us.

Now, my mentor would know what to do about this...you could say she has experience in this matter. I could write to her. Or maybe Ms. Coral or Mr. Dwaine can offer some advice?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: August 05, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »

Arwen shakes his head. "Most behaviors, like those we show in public, are typically learned. If we can train it to behave like a good person... Dragon... Then it shouldn't be a problem, right? Look at Rex. He started out pretty fierce but now he's like a loyal dog.
 Besides. I don't think we should call something evil just because of what it is. That's kind of... Wrong, I think. Everything deserves a chance."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: August 09, 2017, 12:02:23 pm »

Adrik, long silent, nods in agreement as Arwen speaks.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: August 10, 2017, 08:23:22 am »

"You'll have to harden your heart then, Arwen. If this Dog goes mad you'll be the one to put it down. If you're ready to do that, more power to you."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: August 10, 2017, 11:08:37 pm »

"I'm not sure we could do that, Arwen...I'll be honest, I think we need some advice before we go hatching rotten eggs. It might turn out to be like a Devil-totally evil, unalterably so. You could say inherently evil. We'd be trying to raise a monster...and it'd outlive us all even if we all lived to a ripe old age. The job might just be too big for us.

Now, my mentor would know what to do about this...you could say she has experience in this matter. I could write to her. Or maybe Ms. Coral or Mr. Dwaine can offer some advice?"

His eyes sparkling with the greed that only a wizard can possess, Dwaine asserts "Well, if you insist, my advice is that you leave the eggs with me. You can hardly play adoptive parents while traveling across the Sword Coast. I can raise them in peace here, no need for you to smuggle them through Faerūn's many cities. You'll see many who will be interested in taking them from you, especially your foes in the Cult. I can offer you a substantial reward for your trouble."
It's hard to miss the (metaphorical) hunger that Dwaine eyes the eggs with. Leaving them with him might not be a good idea. But then again, there aren't many good ideas.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: August 11, 2017, 01:11:15 pm »

"Well, Arwen's not wrong about learned behaviors. By nature, black dragons will be very cruel. If left alone, they will grow up to be evil. But it's not impossible to teach them, no, just difficult. You're going to have to be strict if you do bring them with us." Cora says, glancing at the eggs, and then at Arwen. "You're sure you can find the time, on the road?" She doesn't acknowledge Dwaine's contribution - not her place to decide where they go.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: August 11, 2017, 01:43:58 pm »

"An' if I may, what're ye planning t'do wi' 'em if we do leave 'em here?"

Adrik affects simple curiosity, but is rather suspicious of that greedy look.

Also, he has a rather similar accent to Johanna.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:47:14 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: August 11, 2017, 03:50:18 pm »

Arwen can only nod in response to Cora. "We took them from their... nest I guess? The Cult was going to raise them I think,
 and I can probably do a much better job. And I agree with you Johanna. If it turns out they can't be taught any other way to be... I'll take care of it."
He nods, but grins at her. "But that decision is probably a year or two away, or at the very least a few months.
 The issue then becomes I'm not very familiar with dragons so... Cora! What do you say about us hiring you on as our Dragon Expert while we raise these dragons? It'll be an experiment, and if you can tell people you assisted in teaching Black Dragons how to be good, well I can't imagine doors wouldn't open for you."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: August 12, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »

"An' if I may, what're ye planning t'do wi' 'em if we do leave 'em here?"

Adrik affects simple curiosity, but is rather suspicious of that greedy look.
"I intend to raise them; there are a few vats of acid that could be used to speed along their developments. Hopefully, they will be hatched and growing nicely by the wedding."

(Adrik's Insight: 11+1)
Dwaine seems to be telling the truth, or at least most of it. Anything he isn't sharing is probably minor, but it's hard to tell: he's got a great poker face.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: August 12, 2017, 03:33:44 pm »

Adrik shoots a look at Arwen, as if asking him to double-check.  Arwen knows his uncle better than Adrik does, after all.
Sigtext

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: August 12, 2017, 09:15:15 pm »

"Uncle... Why did you specifically mention the wedding?" Arwen turns to his uncle, an eyebrow raising. Suddenly the feeling he got whenever he saw an animal near his uncle was making sense, as was the disappearance of that kitten he'd found when he was just a boy. He can't leave these eggs with his Uncle. No matter what.

"And where are these vats of acid?"
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94