Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Shortest Lived Forts - The New Thread!!!  (Read 9381 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Lived Forts - The New Thread!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 05:57:08 am »

I've had a few really short runs.  Mostly due to a range of bugs that made instant-loss possible.

Had a couple way back in the early days where it happened to be raining at the moment of embark and unpausing led all dwarves to melt to death in superheated rain (really tough dwarves would survive with all their fat melted off and become temperature-immune)

Done a couple of times the 'embark in cold area, unpause, river thaws, crumble'.  Its bad enough if you lose a dwarf or two to a snap-thaw, but when the wagon goes in its pretty much done.

Fastest 'legit' loss than wasnt triggered by a mechanic like the above is probably embarking on a volcano/magma-pipe.  About 20 ticks in an imp hits the cart with a string of fireballs and incinerates the embark zone.  Evil biomes tend not to manage a fast wipe like this, tough zombies can easily scatter your dwarves if they are near the wagon at embark, but it generally takes them too long to actually kill you (zombie hydra swarm excepted, man you lucked out with that one!)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 02:32:52 pm »

My fastest legit failure was trying to embark in a terrifying swamp.  I was trying to get sliver barb.  It had sliver barb, it also had harpies by the dozen.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 02:45:32 pm »

My fastest fort failure was in 0.34.11 , i had decided to embark in a very bad "Terrifying" spot for the additional challenge and more fun stuff.

Started well enough, my woodcutter axing several trees , my miner starting to dig underground etc...
Then a "foul smoke" crossed the map and catched my away woodcutter and a couple of my animals that were wandering randomly.

As a result, my poor woodcutter and a few of the animals became nasty husks and they all charged to my other dwarves, annihilating them obviously.

I wanted more challenge, looks like i got just that :D

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2015, 04:35:47 pm »

Back in .34
newb me:

Terrifying biomes can't be that bad, right?

NOPE.

ZOMBIE KEA!

Nothing made it out alive or unstolen.

2 minutes.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2015, 06:19:18 pm »

Documented something since I found a rather... interesting little spot while trying to see if I could get an eldritch castle megasite to load.

A gif of the first try:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A gif of the reclaim attempt:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Space Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • undulates rhythmically
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 02:36:54 am »

Funny, I saw the thread title and my first thought was "alligators."

I have lost several embarks immediately to alligators before, and in a few recent embarks I've lost some dogs and watched my fisherdwarf get rekt by an alligator in the turtle pond he was fishing in.

I've also lost a couple of embarks losing my only pick when my miner dies while plugging an aquifer. Usually on aquifer spawns I only have a single miner and focus more of my early game into above-ground stuff, and I've since started bringing an extra pick. Maybe I should learn how to dual-channel.

As for recent quick deaths, I had a strange first experience with blind cave ogres recently. I was constructing cavern entrances, as I was designing a fortress to be more focused on obtaining plants, wood and meat from the caverns than from the surface world, and in the process of setting up some cage traps around the entrances I noticed three blind cave ogres just, standing there. My dwarves didn't seem to mind them and they didn't seem too hostile, so I just locked the door and decided to deal with it later.

When going back down to the z level they were on, I was alarmed to notice that the door had been broken down, and two were standing inside my fort, while a third had been caught in a cage trap. Once again, dwarves were walking all over right next to them, and I assumed that they simply weren't a problem and I could go about my business and deal with them later.

Then I guess they killed a couple of dogs up by my meeting hall, and instantly half of my dwarves entered combat with one of them and got stuck in over-exertion mode. I attempted to bury the ogre by channeling the floor underneath it, and my dwarves followed it into the 1x1 pit I had designed for it. All the while the other ogre is just standing around doing nothing in the same room. Was quite funny really.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2015, 10:32:50 am »

Yes, it lifts up in the second frame to show that I did indeed mod dragons to fly (they are also supposed to impersonate deities, but they just hang out in shrines and chat with me casually while burning everything) and yes, those are all undead.
Never, ever, ever mod building destroyers, web slingers, or fire breathers into things that talk.  These are not ordinary attacks, they are kind of involuntary.  Especially never make a trading race that breathes fire.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2015, 11:14:14 am »

Oh I know about the fun with traders visiting and setting things on fire, but having them show up in a wider range of places is part of the fun and it's really aimed at adventurer mode anyways.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2015, 12:58:43 pm »

One of my first forts was way back in 2011 (I think? It was way long ago).

Upon embark, the expedition leader was immediately attacked by an alligator. A horrid bloody conflict ensued, traumatizing all other dwarves. The fight ended up with the alligator and leader in the river, upon which the river froze and killed them both. The other dwarves flipped their wigs and started a tantrum spiral.

It was like Samuel L. Jackson getting grabbed by that shark, except it was an alligator and the other characters immediately murdered each other with their bare hands.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2015, 03:38:05 pm »

Well I got to play with the dead all right. A whole flock of unliving ravens. Cue screaming, horrified dwarves being harried across the map until they lose eyes, ears, whatever and collapse. I never even got to strike the earth.

Exact same thing happened to me! I immediately designated a quick tunnel/room to be dug underground -right- next to the wagon to protect my dwarves.  My minor barely got his hands on his first pick when he was attacked.  The other ravens spread out and begin taking out my other dorfs one by one.  Everyone was dead within 2 in-game days, but we were screwed from the time I hit "unpause"

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2015, 06:36:21 am »

used dfhack to embark right on top of a tower.

The towers inhabitants decided to organise a rebellion against their boss; they attacked and struck him down, then one of the dwarf inhabitants of the tower became the new boss.

Then the old boss got resurected and the undead creature went on a rampage; killed the 3 elf 'current residents' outside, then slaughtered some animals, and then finished off the embarking dwarves.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2015, 10:09:32 am »

Forget alligators. My fastest doomed fort lasted all of a minute, possibly less.

An alligator snapping turtle mauled most of my dwarves and lured the remaining ones into the river to drown.

I started slaughtering these guys on sight in all my subsequent forts.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2015, 06:19:45 pm »

Dwarves embarked on top of three rocs.

There were no survivors.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2015, 09:12:07 pm »

Dwarves embarked.

There were no survivors.

Removed all redundant information.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2015, 09:16:14 pm »

Dwarves embarked.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5