Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Shortest Lived Forts - The New Thread!!!  (Read 9379 times)

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
Re: Shortest Lived Forts - The New Thread!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:47 am »

I embarked on a dragon nest, I came back with all military, but he had fled.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 10:48:34 am »

Back in 40d, before burrows were a thing, I embarked on a site with a magma pool.

My hunter decided to take a shot at a fire imp, the fire imp took exception to this and started a forest fire. I hadn't even finished digging out a couple of stockpiles and a dormitory and nearly everything was still stored in the wagon.

Yeah.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 10:49:51 am »

I am certain that this guy has us all beat.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »

I have beaten him. I embarked on a cold biome, and retired it with all my dwarves standing on a frozen river. When I unretired it, it was winter but the river was liquid. One frame later, all my dwarves fell into the river and it froze.

1 frame
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2015, 01:56:12 pm »

I must submit to your superior, alien intellect.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2015, 03:37:06 pm »

Back in 40d, before burrows were a thing, I embarked on a site with a magma pool.

My hunter decided to take a shot at a fire imp, the fire imp took exception to this and started a forest fire. I hadn't even finished digging out a couple of stockpiles and a dormitory and nearly everything was still stored in the wagon.

Yeah.
I remember my first magma pipe...  The imps were always attacking random cats and groundhogs.  This happened repeatedly.

First burn, "Holycrap -- FIRE!!!  Get everything inside!"
Second burn, "...What the -- again?"
Third burn, "...meh"

Mrandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2015, 05:30:44 pm »

reclaiming causes all sorts of FUN, because it is still somewhat buggy.

I remember once I retired a fort and reclaimed it just 1 month later. All the dwarfs were somehow stuck in walls, and they had no picks on them. There was nothing to do, so I retired again...but they magically lived on for many years, even sending me caravans.

I don't have really fun embarking locations besides assaulting a generated fortress with the initial 7 and watch them die. But I am currently thinking of making a ghostly chamber. Say, building a small house then killing all the starting dwarfs, letting their ghost rise, and having all kinds of traps inside. Can't think of a really fun way to do this tho. Maybe I'll let a human adventurer called "Snow White" visit the ghost house.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2015, 09:14:05 pm »

Ok wait, I think I might have a negative lifespan fort but it isn't a player fort...

"Hmmm, wonder what's in this next room, weird that there's no warm-blooded prey talking in there."

"Uh, you guys should probably put a sign on that door which says something like 'CAUTION: WATERY DEATH ROOM' next time."

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2015, 12:35:45 am »

I embarked on a vault and everyone was brutally killed within moments.  I think someone compared it to unleashing HFS immediately upon embark.

I eventually managed to get something of a hermit fort going on in the caverns, but haven't done anything with it since.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2015, 02:39:58 am »

[edit] wrong thread AGAIN.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2015, 05:31:09 am »

Embarked on a river fork. Wagon and dwarfs were placed on the frozen water, which thawed the instant I unpaused it.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2015, 06:28:27 am »

"Uh, you guys should probably put a sign on that door which says something like 'CAUTION: WATERY DEATH ROOM' next time."

That reminds me of my probably shortest adventuring career: I opened a random door in the fort I spawned in and got a faceful of magma with an announcement "You have discovered a great magma sea."
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 12:40:59 am »

I once tried a terrifying tundra biome. The wagon spawned, and 15 urste's away was an undead zombie polar bear. I had almost got my dwarfs underground before it arrived, but it followed them down. 7 dwarfs in a small, dirty hole in the ground, and standing in the staircase was an huge, angry bear. An undead bear. I militarized everyone, but they were just slaughtered.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 01:30:10 pm »

Terrifying Glacier (aquifer off), instead of 1-pick challenge, I decide 6-picks + 1 anvil from a previously saved embark profile, go! 
Turns out I had a pair of cat with it, wtf?!  Oh well, everyone dig fast to caverns.
A cloud turned fluffy into a husk; husk-fluffy went following straight down to the miners.
Miners decides to punch-out vs husk-fluffy. Game over.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2015, 01:58:18 pm »

In an earlier version of the game (v34?) I chanced to embark directly on top of a troll cave. Some of my dwarves didn't even live long enough to get down off the wagon.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5