Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Shadytrails (My Little Fortress)  (Read 41101 times)

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadytrails (My Little Fortress)
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2015, 05:48:44 pm »

Seems to be reasonable. I can write up a resignation scene or something for it.
Personally I think being sick, injured, or otherwise incapactated is better. Gives gunther something to do, too. Then we can just leave Fargo or Shooting Star in charge, with your blessing.

It's not roleplaying if you do it as yourself.
Engineers have an instinctive need to prove their ability to others, regardless of their mutual competence in the field.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2015, 11:02:22 pm »

Give fargo da commander and make me one happy man
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2015, 11:05:48 pm »

Give fargo da commander and make me one happy man

He's probably next in line if it comes to that.

Seems to be reasonable. I can write up a resignation scene or something for it.
Personally I think being sick, injured, or otherwise incapactated is better. Gives gunther something to do, too. Then we can just leave Fargo or Shooting Star in charge, with your blessing.

Yeah... if you're really set on having him resign then I can arrange an injury if you want.  I'm by no means encouraging you to do this, but if it's what you want then I can help.  Do you want Kiume to just give leadership to someone else or is he going to quit the guard altogether?

Speaking off, how are we on the migrants situation?

Hasn't changed since my last update.  I'll probably start playing the game some more once all of the above gets sorted out.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2015, 11:15:23 pm »

He's probably next in line if it comes to that.

Perhaps, but we should get shooting star in and talk it over with her as well.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2015, 10:34:10 am »

I was planning to just resign leadership on account of being more comfortable not giving commands and being responsible for other people's lives and preferring being a regular soldier. If being injured makes for a better story I guess that's fine.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Amorack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2015, 11:19:08 pm »

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 06:03:11 am by Amorack »

exodius1

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALMOST_HOLLOW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2015, 03:47:22 am »

The plot thickens... and if nobody minds, I have a stupid question: what is the population cap? 'Cause if you continue building houses for each and every single citizen we will run out of space fast... Unless it is only important characters, and everyone else sleeps in a big pile^^
It wasn't intended for you to go insane both in character and out of character.

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2015, 03:02:39 pm »

As I'm progressing through the thread conversion, I'm noticing a lot of scenes without a specified time that I'm more or less guesstimating for. For future reference, please do include some sort of reference as the when it occurs so I don't accidentally misplace it (I might rearrange them anyways for the sake of continuity, but I'll try to stick to a chronological order). At least for those tied within a scene web (such as we're seeing with a lot of the Lattice-spawned scenes -- is it proper to call them that?).

The plot thickens... and if nobody minds, I have a stupid question: what is the population cap? 'Cause if you continue building houses for each and every single citizen we will run out of space fast... Unless it is only important characters, and everyone else sleeps in a big pile^^
Telgin said he'd planned to give every family a house, with families getting priority once the starting ponies got their houses. There'll be a temporary dormitory/inn/etc set up for new migrants until they can get housing (I honestly expect a quasi-apartment complex to spring up, it sounded like there was one in dawnpick). Telgin did say he went with a large embark size, and I asked if he could get a map of the region up (I sense a gif conversion in my future to make the z-levels work neatly).

If I recall correctly, dawnpick was capped at 80 for a while to prevent an event from triggering (sieges, I think?), but eventually exceeded it. I don't know if that mechanic has changed since then, though. 80 is more than enough characters to pick from.

...And why am I the primary plot driving element? When did this happen? Quickly, someone pull the lever!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:12:28 pm by Personal Gamer »
Engineers have an instinctive need to prove their ability to others, regardless of their mutual competence in the field.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2015, 08:58:50 am »

I apologise for my lack of posting. My computer has been having issues as of late and I need to get it fixed. Already replaced the graphics card and from the sounds of it the Motherboard might be next.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

Kryptid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2015, 09:42:02 pm »

12th Malachite, 222

It was midway through the morning and ponies were getting up to eat breakfast and then head off to work. Fargo was no different and right now was sitting in at a table eating his breakfast, only he seemed far more tired than the rest of the people around him, and every now and then his head would nod down only for him to catch himself and jolt for a moment. 

As had become customary by now, Silver Rush took his spot at the same table that Fargo ate at. It didn’t take anyone with sharp observational skills to tell that something was wrong. Before even touching his plate, the bat-pony asked the obvious, “Hey Fargo, didn’t get much sleep last night? You’ve come close to wearing your food as make-up a couple of times now.”

Fargo made a small chuckle at the remark, and tried to perk up a little and make it less obvious he wasn’t holding up well. “Yeah, I didn’t get much sleep, but someone needs to watch this place at night.” He was happy that Silver showed up, maybe a conversation would help him stay awake.

“So what’s your schedule look like? Surely you don’t work nights all the time?” The miner inquired before imbibing from his glass of milk.

“Eh... actually...” he frowned for a moment. “This place didn’t have anyone keeping an eye on it at night when I came here, so I’ve been taking it upon myself to watch at night, and I still have do my normal work during the day.”

Just before he took a bite of the speckled pear he lifted from his plate, the pony stopped cold and gave a frown to the griffon, “Are you serious? You can’t do that to yourself! Even a soldier has to have sleep. Surely you can’t expect to be an efficient defender of this place if you can barely keep your head up, right? Besides, it’s bad for your health.”

“I understand, but someone needs to do this, and I usually have shooting star help out so I can sleep a little. It’s just last night I did it all on my own.” Fargo wasn’t touching his food much, “It doesn't matter though, once I’m walking around It’ll be hard for me to fall asleep. I’m pretty good at going without sleep.”

Silver shook his head, “No, no, I don’t think I can just sit here and let things keep going on like that. There’s no reason that Mr. Kiume and Ms. Star can’t take the night shift in equal yoke with you. Or, at the very least, you should never be required to work all night and then all the next day. Nothing that would prevent you from getting a healthy amount of sleep. You understand where I’m coming from, right? I’m sure we could get a more regular schedule arranged if we spoke to the other guards and Ms. Hookbill about this.”

“I find that talking with someone above you about changing the way things are done can either end well or with someone disliking you immensely, especially when you’re the new guy. I’ve been trying to avoid talking with the captain, but I suppose Isolde might work...”

“Well then,” Silver held a hoof over his heart, “I could be the one to ask about it. I’ll take any flak that might come out of this, though I don’t expect there to be any. I’ll just make it clear that you weren’t the one who suggested the idea and that it was me who insisted on improving the shift arrangements. You know, being a concerned friend and all.”

“No, this is my problem. I can talk to Isolde I suppose. From what I can tell about her she seems pretty fair.” He sighed for a moment, “Maybe I can talk to her around lunch or something.” He rested his head on his hand. “Anyways, how have you been?”

“Yep, I’ve got no complaints about her. She’s really understanding.” The stallion chewed a bit of pear before getting to the question, “Been pretty good. The mine’s holding steady and I haven’t gotten hurt in there yet, knock on wood!” He tapped a hoof against the table during his last phrase, “Finally getting a house of my own has been great too. I’m sure everypony here is going to get their own personal residence. Rosewood told me so. Might take some time, though. If you ever wanna come hang out or something, you’re more than welcome.”

By the time Silver had finished talking, the bird cat across the table from him had his eyes closed and his chest feathers were all fluffed up. He’d failed to catch himself nodding off this time, but at least he didn’t manage to plant his face in his food.

“...alright. I think that settles it.” The rib-winged pony nudged the sleeping soldier on the shoulder, “Fargo, go to bed. You’re not in any shape to perform your duties today. I’m going to go talk to Ms. Hookbill about this as soon as I’m done eating.”

Fargo’s eyes opened up instantly when he was nudged back awake. He looked around for a moment, trying to judge how long he’d been out, before standing up from his seat. “Please, let me talk to her myself. I can make a few hours.”

Silver wrinkled his nose and sighed, “I guess I’ll just have to accept that you’re going to be stubborn about this. Oh well, at least I tried. Do stay safe, Fargo.” He continued to work on the juicy, green fruit with those sharp teeth of his.

“I’m sorry, but I try to take care of my problems myself is all.” He said, before making a small sigh. “I don’t like when other’s worry about me.”

“Alright then. Just try not to pass out in an inconvenient location.” Maybe I’ll ask Dr. Gunther to keep an eye on him. Fargo would probably be more willing to listen to him than me when it comes to health issues.

“Eh I’ll try not to... anyways I probably should be heading out about now.” He said, before picking his halberd up off the ground. “I have a job to do.” He’d figured he’d be fine so long as he kept walking and didn’t rest for too long.

Once the griffon had left the building, Silver gave a shrug and finished his fruit. As he took a dried date from his platter, he fell into a light grin as he imagined the dozing soldier face-planting into the ground. I wonder if falling out of the sky in front of his two co-workers would be enough to convince him that he needs to sleep more.

vkiNm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2015, 11:56:47 am »

I was planning to just resign leadership on account of being more comfortable not giving commands and being responsible for other people's lives and preferring being a regular soldier. If being injured makes for a better story I guess that's fine.

I think resigning because he never asked to be a leader would be a great thing. He'll still live and work in the fort as a soldier, just now his life is in another pony's hooves instead of other ponies lives in his.

Perhaps he could talk to Isolde about it, but given how he haven't interacted with the other two guards much, I doubt he could be able to give either of them a commendation.

I'd still like Shooting Star to be the new commander, but as Jaxler said, it'd be nice to talk it out first.

Also, I apologize for my lack of activity, I've been sent to work away from my hometown, it's been 2 weeks and I have yet to see the person who I am here to replace until they return, return. They promised the 20th, but still nothing.

I may have to be out here indefinitely. :/
Jon was the little sherman who could until he got hit by a repurposed tank gun.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2015, 01:52:11 pm »

I think it's still at 200 actually, or whatever the default value is.  I'm very, very likely to reduce it after the next migrant wave though, for precisely that reason.  I'll probably keep it capped at 30ish for a while.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Personal Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fanfiction editor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2015, 03:08:34 pm »

I think resigning because he never asked to be a leader would be a great thing. He'll still live and work in the fort as a soldier, just now his life is in another pony's hooves instead of other ponies lives in his.

Perhaps he could talk to Isolde about it, but given how he haven't interacted with the other two guards much, I doubt he could be able to give either of them a commendation.

I'd still like Shooting Star to be the new commander, but as Jaxler said, it'd be nice to talk it out first.

Also, I apologize for my lack of activity, I've been sent to work away from my hometown, it's been 2 weeks and I have yet to see the person who I am here to replace until they return, return. They promised the 20th, but still nothing.

I may have to be out here indefinitely. :/

I think Fargo could have a racial and/or gender bias advantage working in his favor, even though it's debatable how prevalent they are in the MLF setting.

Also, both injury and resignation could be done. Resignation could be caused by a revelation that he didn't want to have others in the same position due to his orders.

I think it's still at 200 actually, or whatever the default value is.  I'm very, very likely to reduce it after the next migrant wave though, for precisely that reason.  I'll probably keep it capped at 30ish for a while.
I can see expanding the population roof as characters dry up, maybe allowing a new wave on occasion to prevent newcomers from having to take "stale" characters?

It might be worthwhile to stretch the population further by breaking up childless families depending on their frequency. I'm no DFHack wizard who knows the amount of effort it requires to do so, though.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2015, 03:22:43 pm »

Screams cut through the night, nearly hiding the roar of the flames beneath their noise. Kiume galloped towards them. This was not Shadytrails, he knew. This was where he went wherever he doubted himself, whenever someone reminded him of the lives he was responsible for. This was the place of fear. This was home, once. The relic weapon that his family had presented him a week ago to mark his first scouting command lay in the dust behind him, abandoned. His father had taught him that it was the greatest dishonour to drop your weapon, for it had been used by hundreds of ancestors before you. Kiume knew this, but his father's fury was a distant fear, barely remembered in the panic that engulfed his thoughts. In his mind, the screams became accusations. He should have found incoming threats to the tribe and alerted them in time to respond. He had been in charge. He had failed.

Kiume's eyes snapped open, his breathing still heavy after the training he had been forcing himself through since dawn. The sun had started to dip towards the horizon now, yet he was certain of two things. The first was that he hadn't done enough to prevent his history from repeating itself. The second was that he was going to drive himself insane if he followed the path he was on. This was a new thought for the zebra. Ever since he'd met up with a group heading to create a new fortress and decided to join them, he'd trained nearly incessantly. As far as he could recall, he'd barely talked to any of them since then aside from a few brief commands or tips to other soldiers. One of the recruits had smiled at him the other day though, after a particularly gruelling workout. It was so long since Kiume had done that, it was nearly an alien gesture. He sighed, stowed his equipment on a rack, and left the barracks. He could feel some of the tension leaving his body as he walked through the evening glow. Perhaps even deciding to attempt to fix his mess of a life was helpful in its own way, Kiume thought, knocking gently on the door of Isolde's home. The griffon's eyes widened slightly when she saw him, then she gave what Kiume thought was a smile. He wasn't much good at reading avian features yet.
"Kiume!" she said, a slight hint of worry in her voice. "Is anything wrong?"
"Everything's good as far as I can see," Kiume assured her. "I just wanted to talk about the military."
"Ah, of course," she nodded, opening the door and gesturing him inside. "Do you need more recruits? Is your equipment up to standard?"
"Our numbers and equipment are both very fine," the zebra said, shifting uncomfortably. "The problem is... well, I wish to resign."
Isolde looked at him for a moment, then gently asked "Kiume, is everything ok with you?"
"Absolutely," he lied. "I've just never been in charge before, it's turning out to be quite a chore. Since I came here my conversational skills have become very rusted, I'm sure the others would prefer their leader to be someone they trusted."
"Well, I can't force you to stay in charge if you think there are better candidates," Isolde said, shifting her wings. "I'll try to find a replacement. In the meantime, I hope you'll mingle a bit more with the rest of us? Some of us have barely seen you when there's nothing to fight."
Kiume's mouth twitched. It looked like something that might develop into a smile if it didn't have something weighing it down. "I'll speak to anyone that I can find and let them know what's on my mind," he promised, opening the door. Perhaps with someone else giving the orders, he'd be able to move on from the ones in the past.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

KingStrongbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • By Celestia's Beard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2015, 01:58:22 am »

11th Hematite, 222

There have been some wild badgers in the area. Not those dangerous badger-ponies that Star was telling me about to scare me. Just ordinary badgers. They got a bit to close so the militia chased them off and killed a few. Hopefully that will keep the wild animals away for awhile. If not, maybe we should build a wall of somekind... I don't know it it's worth the effort and resources though. I won't suggest it to the Mistress just yet.

15th Hematite, 222

Things are going well. I spoke with Mistress about my plans for the future of the town, and she seemed really impressed! Working with Rosewood and some others, we've laid out the foundations of a few new houses.

21st Hematite, 222

The first house was completed today. Mistress Isolde is giving it to Rosewood. She did do most of the hard work, so that makes sense I guess.

26th Malachie, 222

This is not right... I'm writing this now from the floor of what, I guess, is to be my new home, but... this is not right. I should not have my own private room while Mistress Isolde is still sleeping in that first structure with everyone else. I tried to tell her as much, but she insisted. I should not argue with her, but I feel terrible about having this while she has less.

I wish I knew what I was supposed to do...

Silver and Tunda got new houses too, I wonder if they feel the same.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13