Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood = teleporting ability?  (Read 1154 times)

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange Mood = teleporting ability?
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:48:15 am »

So I had a dwarf go into a strange mood and claim a Mechanic's workshop.  Nothing out of the ordinary here.  He wanted a few materials I didn't have, and wasn't prepared to produce.  I knew he was going to go insane and I wanted to protect my fort accordingly.  So I removed surrounding workshops and stairs and walled him in so that when he inevitably went nuts, the rest of the fort would be OK. 

Sure enough after some time, he went into a melancholy.  When I checked his area, he was...gone?  I found him on the floor below, and then I quickly walled him up again but it was unfortunate because now a whole bunch of dwarves saw him all melancholy and now they're stressed out.

How exactly did this happen?  I'm quite confused.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood = teleporting ability?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:16 am »

odds are he climbed out somehow, especially if you were removing stairs. Since climbing is in the game, isolating an area is harder
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:19:35 am »

Dwarves can climb over walls that are underground?

I had to channel out the stairs and then build walls on top of them, but I don't see how he could have gotten out.  I had removed the upstair connection as well.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:34:17 pm »

I've had a few bugs where dwarves got into locations when everything was sealed off, thought Toady cleared most of those bugs. Most likely there is a gap you left where they can climb up or down, everything had a floor and ceiling?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »

If the strange mood caused teleportation, then the dorf I had who mooded up a ladder (picking fruit) would have been able to get out of his tree and go work. Instead, I had to dig a hole under his stepladder in order for him to go claim a workshop. Different point in the mood, but still...

I think it's likely your dorf climbed out, over the walls. Possibly it was easier to climb the workshop, then the walls. They can go some distance upward or downward if they have nothing better to do with their time.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:00 pm »

So indoor walls don't go to the ceiling?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 04:18:36 pm »

Chances are the stairs left some weird diagonal somewhere that he climbed through.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 04:21:37 pm »

He ended up on the floor below.  The north wall of that little square is where I had to remove some stairs by channeling down, and then I built the wall on top of the down stairs which also had the up stair removed from the level below.