Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33070 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 11
« Reply #615 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:03 pm »

Hiking? Aren't we on a grassy plateau? ???
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 17, 2015, 11:22:08 pm »

...it's still 17 km away from the ship, so that's still a bit of a trip
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 17, 2015, 11:31:50 pm »

So I guess we do the turn now?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 18, 2015, 12:13:51 am »

Manufacturing & Building
[]Exosuit Constructors(one destroyed, one damaged(0/50), offline)

[]Small Cargo Hauler (6 manpower, weapons,  Anna (+10 M&C, +10 morale), +10 Big Crane, -20 prototype, -10 Diggy Diggy Hole = -10)
 Go to the D&DV pod to unload the vehicles and drive them back

>Roll:69

Anna is tasked with test-driving the prototype by taking a work crew and helping them retrieve the Digging and Drilling vehicles. No problems are reported, and the crane operates as designed, allowing the containers to be retrieved from the drop pods, unloaded, and assemble the vehicles with the assistance of the work crew. two of the workmen then hop into the vehicles and drive them back to the ship. [D&D vehicles online, +1 Mining slot. 2 crew required]{69/25, rollover 44}

Engineering
[]VR CAD(1 manpower)
 Continue work on underground complex design (158/200) (1 manpower)
>Roll:87+71=158

Even with some of the engineers pulled off this task, the preliminary work allows the remaining man to make huge strides in the base design. Modular levels and cavern sizes are considered, and the central shaft is completely designed, allowing for a digging vehicle AND several crewman to pass in one direction(with a second spiral allowing for two-way traffic flow), and allowing space for eventual freight elevators. The only thing left is deciding how big of an outer ring for each level should be...

[]Lisa Engneering action (1 manpower, Lisa)
 Small Cargo Hauler Mountable Subsurface survey equipment (Lisa Engineering Autosuccess)

A cargo module that can be mounted on the back of the new cargo hauler is actually pretty easy, once Lisa is allowed access to the stocks of finished parts. Some actuators, sensor packages, magnetometers, and radar, and some scrap for framing, and this package can be easily mounted and operated from the cargo hauler. Assuming a crew of 3 scan techs is available, it can use sides-canning GPR and magnetometers while moving at a 20 km/h clip, and stop and use twin thumpers and seismic scanners to seismically map any likely rock formation and deposit it finds. Not however, that its bulk disallows normal cargo and construction operations while mounted; it can be easily dismounted to resume normal operation though.

[Small Cargo Hauler-Mounted Sub-Surface Scanning Array completed. While mounted to a cargo hauler, +15 to ore and geographical survey and unlocks a Geosurvey Scouting and Exploration slot. Can support Science:Geology actions with accurate geological mapping(allows a S&E slot conversion in support of Geology). Ease of mounting and dismounting allows for rollover of S&E to M&B actions and vice versa)

Repair & Maintenance
[]Damage Control & Machine Shop (3 manpower)
 Repair exosuit
>roll:64

There's enough surplus wiring to replace the burnt control runs without dipping into the basic parts, and the crew eventually manages to get the exosuit back in operation with time to spare.
[exosuit repaired](64/50, rollover 14)

Scouting & Exploration

Other
[]Raw Manpower (18 manpower)-Manufacturing And Building(54/50)
 Retrieve Seed Bank and OCC
>Roll:54

Meanwhile, a workparty armed with floorjacks, dollies, and handtrucks gathers and assembles, then sets out to retrieve the cargo from the other pod. It takes the entire month to make the necessary trips of the 34 km round trip distance, but they manage to unload the second pod and bring all the cargo back to the ship.(54/50)

[]R&R (2 manpower)

While there isn't as much free time this month with work needing to be done, the crew still appreciates being able to take an hour or two and unwind, though there are the beginnings of some grumbling for things to do other than "work out, VR, or sightseeing."

[]Life Support (3 manpower)

[]Medical Bay (1 manpower)

The injured colonist is moved to the medical bay, where a complete checkup reveals he's got 2nd degree burns over 56% of his body, and some 3rd degree burns on his right arm. He'll be out of action at least 3 months, though thankfully he'll make a full recovery with no complications.

Outpost Chiron Statistics:

He-3 fuel:5.15 units(3.75 units enough to run reactor at 100% for 5 Earth Years)
 Basic Parts:0.67 containers(.1 units can be used for +10 to any one Maintenance repair, or manufacturing roll. Once per turn per action only) Warning, basic parts at 33%
 Advanced Parts:1.57 Containers(.1 units can be used for +10 to any one Maintenance repair, or manufacturing roll. Once per turn per action only)
 Scrap(Shortfall)

Systems and Projects online:
Small Cargo Hauler
Exosuit Contructor
Small Cargo Hauler
Sub-Surface Scanning Array
MS & DC
Life Support

Population:35 awake(including heroes)+47 in cryopods
 Population required to run equipment:16(or 18 if using SCH for construction)(3 life support, 1 Exosuit, 1 VR-CAD, 3 Damage Control & Machine Shop, 2(or 6) Small Cargo Hauler, 1+3 SSA, 2 D&D Vehicles)

Life Support Capacity:Ship only
Food Production:Ship Hydroponics only

Power Used/Produced:23.5/37.5(50% power)

Cargo

Cargo Bay:
My First Factory
LCL Database
Basic & Advanced Parts
Vac Suits

Outside:
OCC
Seed Bank

Psych Card: Diggy Diggy Hole

+20 to any mining action
-10 to one M&C action
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:38:56 am by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 12
« Reply #619 on: February 18, 2015, 01:16:35 am »

Well, that went well.  I think we should dig out a hole and put the my first factory kit in it first, then start a real deep spiral once we scout a site and finish our research.  We can hopefully pack the kit back up and move it to our new place once we have a proper area set up.

We need scouting for geological stuff or something now also?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 18, 2015, 01:26:49 am »

It would be a construction action to set up the MFFK, though the same action can be used to run cabling to it(assuming the cavern  gets dug this turn). I'll aslo rule you can reinforce the cavern at the same time

It would also be a construction action to assemble the LSL from all the scavenged parts I mentioned since it's not really designing something new or modifying an existing design(or prototyping without factory assistance).

Not sure I understand you last question...

Edit: Reminder that while in operation the SSA has a +15 to geosurvey, which scouting for a proper site for an underground complex qualifies
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:30:32 am by tryrar »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 18, 2015, 01:30:29 am »

We could also experiment with turning whatever material we dig out into bricks.  Making dirt or mud bricks is... not very high tech, but it could do for building some housing and workshops.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 18, 2015, 01:32:18 am »

Get the right type of rocks and cement is a definite possibility, though you'll need to do soil analysis to see if it is a proper type for bricks.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 18, 2015, 01:39:13 am »

Manufacturing & Building
[]Exosuit Constructors(one destroyed: +5) (1 manpower)
 Assist setting up LSL

[]Small Cargo Hauler(+10 Construction, +20/autosuccess everything else)

[]Damage Control & Machine Shop(+10) (3 manpower)
 Set up LSL (3 manpower, Anna) (+10 DCMS, +14 rollover, Anna(+10 M&C, +10 morale))

Engineering
[]VR CAD(+5) (1 manpower)
 Hydroponics Kit (1 manpower, Anna) (Anna: +20 Engineering)

Repair & Maintenance
[]Damage Control & Machine Shop(+10)

Mining(+20 Diggy Diggy Hole)
[]Digging and Drilling Vehicles(2 manpower, weapons)
 Begin drilling to build base (1 manpower, +20 Diggy Diggy Hole)

Scouting & Exploration(4 manpower)
[]Small Cargo Hauler(+20/autosuccess)

[]SCH-Mounted Subsurface Survey Array(+15 Geology) (4 manpower, weapons)
 Scan for place to build underground (+20 SCH, +15 Geology, +44 rollover)

Other
[]Raw Manpower (15 manpower)
 Continue unloading and covering cargo(23/50) (-5 Raw Manpower, -10 Diggy Diggy Hole)

[]R&R (1 manpower)

[]Life Support (3 manpower)

[]Medical Bay (1 manpower(2 months))

We need 2 more people awake to do everything without getting Understaffed penalties. (This is counting the burned guy as working.) We need to get a farm going ASAP if we're going to support more awake people, and we NEED to support more awake people. Does it rain on this planet? Anyone have any ideas for our guys to do during R&R? People don't suddenly combust on getting a critfail, right?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 18, 2015, 01:42:05 am »

I was thinking something like a CEB soil brick machine.

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/CEB_Press

We are going to have lots of extra soil.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 18, 2015, 01:45:46 am »

There have been steady rainstorms(nothing severe enough to note), so a rain collection device could definitely be a thing. Also, again, there are existing designs for hydroponics kits stored in the ships computers, so engineering not required(no trying to reinvent something just to get a free prototype)

At void: Huh, interesting. So, would you like something portable or something on a more industrial scale? Both can be designed but their requirements and chance for a prototype are different.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 18, 2015, 02:02:02 am »

There have been steady rainstorms(nothing severe enough to note), so a rain collection device could definitely be a thing. Also, again, there are existing designs for hydroponics kits stored in the ships computers, so engineering not required(no trying to reinvent something just to get a free prototype)

At void: Huh, interesting. So, would you like something portable or something on a more industrial scale? Both can be designed but their requirements and chance for a prototype are different.

We only need small scale for now, a couple buildings and such, we could redesign it for large scale industrial later when we have the parts and maybe some constructor bots.

The idea of an advanced army of swarm intelligence robots building with dirt bricks makes me smile for some reason.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 18, 2015, 02:03:54 am »

Engineering
[]VR CAD(+5) (1 manpower)
 Hydroponic Farm/Reactor(1 manpower, Anna) (Anna: +20 Engineering)

The Hydroponic Farm/Reactor grows food and provides power generated by the plants themselves. See here for proof of concept.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 18, 2015, 02:06:31 am »

So just probably something able to be carted around by a few dudes who shovel soil into it and pop out bricks? Doable, but you'll still need a binder of some sort, and roofing material(square bricks make for poor roofs)

@ Andre. The energy density of that appears to be around 0.66Watt/square meter. ....I'm not sure that's actually viable, so I'll have to say no

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 18, 2015, 02:19:29 am »

So just probably something able to be carted around by a few dudes a truck who shovel soil into it and pop out bricks? Doable, but you'll still need a binder of some sort, and roofing material(square bricks make for poor roofs)

The binder and alternative brick sizes and shapes should come once we learn some more in actually digging down.  This is probably not a project for right now but soon.

Heck, with luck we can just start making adobe bricks if we find some kind of loamy soil.

We need to find materials to make basic and advanced parts anyway.

Seems like for organic power production that growing highly efficient GM grass then burning it in some kind of furnace/generator would be another option.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48