Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33207 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 8.5:Orbit!
« Reply #390 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:32 pm »

I didn't think about life support while we're waiting for a new window. Let's just land, then.

EDIT: Cargo distribution:
Cargo M(23):
MFFK(10)
1xAir tanks(1)
2xAdvanced parts(2)
2xBasic parts(2)
LSL database(5)
Exosuits(3)
(23 total)

Cargo A(5):
Digging and drilling(4)

Cargo B(5):
Seed bank(3)
OCC(2)

Alternatively, since we know the pods landed well, we can swap out the LSLD with the Digging and Drilling Vehicles so we don't have to chance losing it and we can start mineral extraction much more quickly.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:50:35 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 12, 2015, 10:14:58 pm »

No the digging vehicles were in a pod A and the seed bank and OCC were in pod B, the exo suits LSLD and MFFK were in the main hold.

Organize two 10 man Emergency respond teams equipped with tools and basic parts, one stationed in the bio-dome, one in the workshop, have 5 people oversee the cargo, have the other 10 concentrate on the landing and running the ship.  I assume we have crash chairs of some kind for the actual landing?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:18 pm »

No the digging vehicles were in a pod A and the seed bank and OCC were in pod B, the exo suits LSLD and MFFK were in the main hold.
Keep in mind that the only cargo plan before that wasn't made with the exo suits in mind so we can theoretically change it to whatever we want right now and it will be valid and canon.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 12, 2015, 11:38:41 pm »

Lets not game the system.

ANd I think there was a post saying where everything is
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 12, 2015, 11:41:12 pm »

And I think there was a post saying where everything is
There was but that was optimised without the exo suits in mind.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 12, 2015, 11:43:08 pm »

Optimization? Whats that?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 13, 2015, 12:01:48 am »

It's when you do something a certain way to get the maximum reward out of it.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 13, 2015, 12:08:38 am »

For reference, Alpha Centauri AB has an orbital period of around 79 earth years. α Cen A would be around 0.3 to 1% as bright as our sun on a planet orbiting around α Cen B.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 13, 2015, 12:44:20 pm »

Well, looks like the opinions are 'just land already", so I guess it's time to set down.

Edit: Umm, what was that about the dice loving you guys again? >:D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:48:42 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 9:Landfall
« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2015, 01:33:19 pm »

Well, there was my interest slipping again...
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2015, 01:33:47 pm »

Orbit of Chiron

(Reentry and landing roll:43)

"All systems in the green, we're going for reentry Captain."

"Very well, halt gravity rotation and align us on the reentry vector. All hands, prepare for reentry, I repeat button up your stations and prepare for reentry."

The crew scramble to their stations and belt themselves in as the ship halts its slow gravity spin along its axis and maneuvers to the reentry vector. A few minutes pass, then the main engines light up in a braking burn as the ship slowly breaks orbit and descends to the surface.

"Vector stable so far captain, we just passed the upper mesosphere. Velocity at 800 m/s and falling. Hitting stratopause in 2 minutes... Alright, we've hit the lower stratosphere, velocity now sub-400 m/s, we'll be hitting the troposphere any minute no-Captain! Unexpected thunderstorm broaching the landing site, we're going to fly right through it!"

The danger has appeared too late for any action to be taken. An unexpected front has formed and is passing though the area, sweeping in from the south. One moment, there is clear skies, then the next the ship is buffeted by winds and rain. And then a blinding flash...

"Captain, we've just been struck by lightning! Power loss to cargo hold, and I'm getting small fires from burnt conduits on decks 3 and 5! The computer is also telling me the turbulence has thrown our course into the yellow, and we're coming down faster than expected!"

"Emergency overcharge on the main engine, we need to bring our velocity down or we're going to auger in!"

The whine of the engines pitches up a few degrees as more power is applied. The ship slows more, but the speed is still fast for a landing...

"We're 60 km out from our landing, but our speed is still 129 m/s! We're coming in hot, and it'll be a hell of a jolt!"

"Nothing to do now but pray!" She hits a button for the intercom. "Brace Brace Brace!"

With the driving rain seeming whipping the ship on, it screams down the last few kilometers, valiantly trying to slow enough for a somewhat safe landing, but it's too late. The ship impacts at 63 m/s, gouging a gash through the grasslands and finally settling to stop just 800 meters from the north rim of the canyon. Minutes go by....

"....urgh, I feel like I've been thrown through a washing machine. Report, you guys still alive?"

"I'm still here captain. Preliminary reports show the engine is well and truly junk not that it matters at this point, we have hull breaches all up and down the lower section, and we've lost power to damage control and life support, though the local backups are keeping the pods powered this time. More seriously, Damage control actually took a bad hit when a bulkhead let go, and frankly it's a mess. We also lost 3 crew who were manning damage control when the bulkhead blew. Crushed completely. We'll need to send the crew to do a proper assessment of everything though."

"Goddammit to hell! Well, I guess we're lucky we didn't lose everyone then, but I can say with heartfelt sincerity I do NOT want to ever do that again."

>>Yerkri Astgheri Landed on Chiron March 18th, 2076. Arrival date of Ark:2081

(mini-update next with whatever post landing stuff you'll want to do, then we move to one month turns)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 13, 2015, 01:43:12 pm »

Wake everyone.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 13, 2015, 01:56:47 pm »

We dont have the life support for that.

We need people to check the damage, and we probably want to start offloading the exosuits in the cargohold.

-Edit-

Since we can have 40 people awake, lets have 35 people awake. The extra life support is mostly for comfort, and incase of accidents.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:01:56 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 13, 2015, 02:12:37 pm »

Close off airlocks to damaged areas, start reconnecting power, send vac suited guys into the breached areas to assess the damage.  Might want to check on cargo also...

Then seal up the breaches we need to, leave the airlocks in place to the areas we do not and check on the damage control and medbay.  Those VR pods might not have survived.

That was technically a good landing though!

After the ship is.. patched up... we can take some air readings and see how far we landed from the pods.

Edit: Yeah having the exo suits help with patching the ship from the outside is probably the best idea.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:15:03 pm by VoidSlayer »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 13, 2015, 04:04:02 pm »

No one ever say the dice love us again. If the RNG's giving us a whole bunch of free stuff it's just coincidence. It will NOT continue to keep on giving us free stuff.

What does "No Atmospheric Conversion" mean?

That was technically a good landing though!
No it wasn't. A good landing would've involved NOT getting struck by LIGHTNING and NOT having three dead guys on our hands when we should be kinda celebrating. Also, we're 60km off-course.

Let's see if we can get some advanced parts to get Damage Control working. We should also see how the reactor's doing considering we lost power.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48