Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33210 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 8:Through the void we have come(Years 2068-2076)
« Reply #375 on: February 12, 2015, 05:25:50 pm »

Ok, recounting the votes, most of you have gone to some sort of variation of scouting the landing site for a bit before landing, with some of you wanting to make a weather sat to observe weather conditions. I'll finalize that as Taking a month to build a satellite and scout the Plateau from orbit before releasing the drop pods as landing beacons. Is this acceptable?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 12, 2015, 05:26:53 pm »

Good for me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 12, 2015, 05:38:42 pm »

Can we at least take a couple of months after the satellite is built so it can get some data on the landing sites?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 12, 2015, 05:40:40 pm »

We would have been collecting thedata already... And we will be staying up for a few extra orbits after we throw down the cargo to find where they are. The weather sat is to give us advanced warning of storms and shit when we are landed...
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 12, 2015, 05:42:01 pm »

EDIT: Since we have an LSLD, that means we can build the LSL which'll let us develop immunities to the various toxins on the planet, perhaps using it with the seedbank to create foods that'll provide said immunities. Eventually, our colonists' bodies will develop permanent immunity to Chiron's toxins.
Unlikely. Chiron's ecosystem should be so far away from us that integration between us and them should not be possible.

Also, immunities don't work that way. Well, not all of them do. And since the problem we'll be experiencing most is allergic reactions due to foreign particles being attacked by the immune system, frequent exposure would make it worse, not better.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:47:45 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 12, 2015, 05:46:25 pm »

Lets just hope that the amino acids are the right handedness, so we can farm without hydroponics if necessary...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2015, 07:01:40 pm »

Well considering we live in 2057 I think we may have discovered some way to suppress allergies or remove them altogether. We'll just see how it goes once we land.

We would have been collecting thedata already...
(I will mention surveying the site carefully will give a bonus on the landing roll)
I think this is incentive enough to stay in orbit for a little while longer.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2015, 07:08:10 pm »

Alright alright, looks like we have agreement. ill have turn up soonish
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 8.5:Orbit!
« Reply #383 on: February 12, 2015, 07:45:39 pm »

Orbit of Alpha Centauri B 1(Planet Chiron)

The discovery of a life-bearing world is cause for jubilation among the scientists, as until now extraterrestrial lifeforms had just been a theory(though one that was very probable). There are those who want to land immediately and begin studies on how life has evolved differently here in the Alpha Centauri System, but cooler heads eventually prevail, and calm, reasoned study of the landing site from orbit is decided on. To that end, the machine shop is spooled up for production of a small weather satellite(Manufacturing roll:107), which with the investment of some of the advanced parts and a bit of the basic parts, goes smoothly(-0.25 advanced and basic parts). It is eventually deployed out the airlock and begins gathering data on weather patterns at the Plateau and around the planet.(1 Weather Satellite online: 3 Chiron Day weather forecast available) Eventually, after a few orbits, the crew decides ona name for their new home; Chiron.

Over the course of a 20-day Chiron month, the local topography and weather for the proposed landing site is carefully mapped out. Some good news is that the plateau appears to be on the lee side of the mountain range from the prevailing wind currents, shielding it from the worst of the weather patterns; this appears to be one of the reasons it tends toward grasslands and scattered ground cover rather than the omnipresent jungle(the higher altitudes being another) as the mountains prevent a lot of the rainfall from falling over the plains. However, it appears to be early fall, and a shift in the wind patterns is bringing rains and the occasional storm around the southern edge of the range.

One more interesting fact gathered is that AC A is currently approaching stellar opposition from AC B, turning night into more of a deep dusk than true night. Combined with the fact of the shifting wind patterns and the changing seasons, and a very rough calendar can be mapped out using these reference points(given the roughly 5 month year, stellar convergence and opposition should process through different seasons).

At the end of the month, the decision is made. The weather looks like it'll cooperate, and forecasts show the next three days is clear. With that in mind, in a carefully programmed maneuver, the ship drops into low orbit, the drop pods are released on a reentry vector, and the ship pulls back into a stable orbit.

"Telemetry looking in the green, captain! Tracking says they are on target to the landing site and are approaching retrorocket burn point Alpha....there we go, retrorocket activation confirmed! velocity slowing down to 600 km/s at a deceleration of 20 km/s. Approaching chute deployment point... Telemetry confirms shoot deployment! Pods now slowing to 20 km/s! Captain, we're about to broach the horizon, so we're going to loose telemetry in a sec, but all systems appear functioning correctly and the pods are on projected course. I guess we just wait for the next orbit now..."(pod roll:110)

After the next few orbits, it's confirmed that the pods are on the ground with tracking beacons funtioning perfectly, and it doesn't appear that anything has been broken. Final preparations are made to dscend to the surface with the ship; Ready or not, landing awaits!

>>Final orders/preparations before Landfall

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 12, 2015, 08:03:16 pm »

We need a UV water cleaning system.

UV doesn't stay in water so it's great for sanitizing it.

It kills viruses and bacteria easily. Same with fungi and spores.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 12, 2015, 08:06:59 pm »

We need a UV water cleaning system.

UV doesn't stay in water so it's great for sanitizing it.

It kills viruses and bacteria easily. Same with fungi and spores.

Might wanna wait for landing for that, since it takes up non-existant space and might get broken on landing :P

(Water isn't an issue for now since the Gaia CBLS uses closed lop systems)

Edit: Also, a quick reminder: What cargo was supposed to be in the pods?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 12, 2015, 08:09:03 pm »

We almost certainly have plans for one in the database, and we will still be self-sufficent for awhile when we land, atleast until we wake everyone.

So, any last moment things we want to do in orbit?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2015, 08:09:59 pm »

Wake everyone up before we drop into the planet. If something goes wrong in landing and the stasis pods stuff up again we're looking at about 40 dead colonists.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2015, 08:12:19 pm »

Wake everyone up before we drop into the planet. If something goes wrong in landing and the stasis pods stuff up again we're looking at about 40 dead colonists.

Reminder: it takes at least 1 month to safely wake someone from stasis, so unless you wanna orbit for another month and loose your landing window(the tracking beacons don't last forever) this is not recommended

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 12, 2015, 08:19:08 pm »

Never happened in any of the outpost games, the dice love us, takes too long and we do not have the life support for them. Lets not even think about that idea.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 48