Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33238 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: turn 7: Turnover!(2066-2068)
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2015, 10:25:10 pm »

We could just do VR game development one turn and city design the other.

Having people actively design VR tailored to the needs of crew members is a better idea then making one thing.  Remember we have other recreation activities for people who do not like VR.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2015, 10:31:14 pm »

Particularly as Tryrar wants to have a single eight year turn instead of two four years.
It takes a long time for someone to get a doctorate.

Design a reactor that can run on air. The ultimate challenge. Well, the ultimate challenge would be a reactor that runs on human emotion so I guess this is the penultimate challenge. It's still a pretty big challenge.

EDIT: I really think that getting our crew to study is a good idea. Remember that the only difference between this and actual school is the lack of family members. That's it. The rest of our lives were spent studying, sleeping, eating, and watching movies, reading books, playing video games, and going out (VR). Even if there was more, you may recall that the only things we did during prehistoric times were kill food, eat food, and maybe do some story-telling at night. I doubt anyone killed themselves over boredom back then.

EDIT2: The real ultimate reactor challenge is to create a reactor that supplies its own energy and produces a surplus.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:39:07 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 10, 2015, 10:34:52 pm »

Particularly as Tryrar wants to have a single eight year turn instead of two four years.
It takes a long time for someone to get a doctorate.

Design a reactor that can run on air. The ultimate challenge. Well, the ultimate challenge would be a reactor that runs on human emotion so I guess this is the penultimate challenge. It's still a pretty big challenge.

Outpost 4 had a methane-oxygen atmosphere, they actually did this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 10, 2015, 11:04:33 pm »

Design a reactor that can run on air.
What composition of air? Its like designing a spaceship without knowing what space is like.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 10, 2015, 11:40:39 pm »

Design a reactor that can run on air.
What composition of air? Its like designing a spaceship without knowing what space is like.
That's why it's the triultimate challenge when it comes to reactor designs.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2015, 01:26:29 am »

It also would probably be totally useless. Lets not waste our time on designs we probably can never use.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2015, 06:31:37 am »

I've actually been looking through the rolls and I've come up with a couple of questions. Have the meditative effects of the garden been considered and if so what do they do if they're not used to give us a roll bonus to morale?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 11, 2015, 11:18:15 am »

Well, it's part of the well stocked entertainment bonus(which I appear to have forgotten on the last morale roll)

Edit: I see we have some agreement on the modular city idea. I'll run the turn soonish unless anyone has anything else they'd like to do
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:30:17 am by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 8:Through the void we have come(Years 2068-2076)
« Reply #308 on: February 11, 2015, 12:00:53 pm »

Year:2068->2076
Fuel:8.25 units->6.75 units
Crew:35 awake 50 podded
Travel Time:9 years->ARRIVAL

After turnover, the trip just seems to speed up. Maybe its the fact the ship has crossed the halfway point, or maybe it's just the knowledge the trip will be over soon. As the ship hits the outer limit of the Alpha Centauri system, final projects are done:

->Design a modular city. An underground closed environment planned for efficiency and comfort:11(nope!)

The crew spends the final 8 years on the proposal, and while they've come up with some fascinating ideas, none of them can be implemented or even practically designed until the exact planetary composition is known. As such, the idea is deemed a failure for now

->Maintenance event:82

By some miracle it appears that this ship has held together all the way to the end, despite some components running continuously for over 18 years without a full shutdown. The crew tighens the bolts and polished the decks, and fixes what they can in preparation for planetfall(wherever that may be)

->Morale Event:

The fact that the journey is almost over seems to have broken the funk holding the crew. They are smiling a lot more, and optimism seems rampant. as the ship hits the heliopause for the system, there is new hope for a new life in this new world...

No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 11, 2015, 12:17:25 pm »

Planetary Details:

Alpha Centauri A 1: A small, rocky world orbiting the outer system beyond the B component, it lacks an atmosphere and is blisteringly cold. It does present some possibilities for mining though, as sensors can detect unusual radiation emanating from the crust, indicating high concentrations of heavy metals.

Alpha Centauri B 1:
This world has the astrophysicists excited, as this earth-sized world is confirmed for the presence of free oxygen in the atmosphere, as well as carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Further magnification indicates the presence of oceans of some description, and verdant swathes of greenish blue. Closer investigation will be needed though to confirm these readings...

Proxima Centauri 1:
The final planet in the system is a large, rocky ice world(about 10% larger by volume than Earth) close enough to the red dwarf circling the outer system to be on the outer band of the habitable zone. Conditions are arctic at best, but there appears to be water ice of some descritpion, and a methane-CO2 atmosphere indicates vigorous tectonic activity. However, Proxima Centauri's position of 0.21ly away from the main binary pair means several more months of travelling to arrive at this planet.

>>Planet choice and name(if any)?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:39:03 pm by tryrar »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 11, 2015, 12:46:24 pm »

As expected of a binary system, the stars gobble up each other's satellites, no deep space belts or Jupiter to explore.

Also less things to crash into the surface.

Well, getting to Proxima Centauri is already gonna take at least another year, so no reason not to pass by the water bearing oxygen-nitrogen world first just to peak.  I mean none of us can breath oxygen or need water but it is interesting.

Wait, I think I was in the VR pod too long.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 11, 2015, 03:19:09 pm »

Alpha Centauri B 1. ACA1 is going to give us malformed children from all the radiation and PC1 is going to attack us with earthquakes, lava, and farts. As for closer investigation, let's see if we can't get the ship into a close orbit. How are we expected to land, by the way?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 11, 2015, 03:21:22 pm »

Well, looks like that its ACB1 or PC1 for us. Personally, I would go with PC1 for now, since ACB1 would probally have something !!FUN!! to deal with, and I would rather let the Arc people deal with that, with us giving support from PC1 with materials and the like.

Less interesting, but probably safer. Plus, we may be able to design a combustion engine that uses the atmosphere to power itself. And with tectonic activity comes surface minerals.

-Dang ninja-

Hey, what do we have in cargo anyways? We pack a satellite somewhere?
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 11, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »

Landing is simple; The ship deorbits and uses its thrusters and engine to stay on course until crashtouchdown. Of course, it has all the aerodynamics of a brick, so this isn't easy >:D

Edit: Nope, you guys never ordered a satellite or enhanced sensors, so you'll have to close orbit in order to get details

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 11, 2015, 03:25:52 pm »

And with tectonic activity comes surface minerals.
With tectonic activity comes earthquakes that'll break our puny shelter and flood our breathing stuff (air) with unbreathable farts. Unbreathable flammable farts.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48