Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33239 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: turn 6 Crisis Resolution: RNG is Appeased!
« Reply #285 on: February 10, 2015, 04:36:56 pm »

Nothing else is broken, so yeah.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:22 pm »

One fun thing about D-T fusion is if we can find Lithium we can apparently produce more tritium out of the waste energy.

The other !FUN! thing is it is inefficient and that inefficiency produces radioactive waste!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 10, 2015, 04:44:18 pm »

No noticeable amounts, really. The reactor itself might be mildly radioactive after 60 years, but that's about it.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: turn 7: Turnover!(2066-2068)
« Reply #288 on: February 10, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

Year:2066->2068
Fuel:9 units->7.5 units
Crew:35 awake 50 podded
Travel time:10 years->8 years

>Repair computer
:GM Autosuccess!

Turns out, there was a backup made before the file corruption, so a simple restore from backup gets the computer up and running in no time.

>Make sure all systems are good during turnover:84

The ship has reached the midpoint of its journey, and for the first time in a long while the engine goes silent as the ship slowly turns 180 degrees. This affords the crew some time to do a full inspection on the engines, and other systems while not under the stress of acceleration. This goes pretty well, though there are still some systems that cannot be effectively maintained without a full shutdown, like the reactor; still the crew does what they can...

>Design deuterium-tritium fusion reactor in VR-CAD:138

A D-T fusion reactor? Shit, you should ask for something hard, I was building these for my science projects when I was 14!"

Suffice to say, with an experienced reactor tech, and the services of a full virtual reality suite for designing the thing, it's a trivial task to create a design for a D-T reactor capable of 500 MW output while being very safe and relatively compact. The crew spends the rest of turnover having fun building virtual cities powered by this second gen reactor.

>Morale:52 Morale is picking up after the nadir it hit during the last four years, though there are still those who fervently wish for the journey to end already and for solid ground beneath their feet...

>>Orders for next Turn?

Edit:Also, would you guys prefer the next travel turn be the last, with it being double-length than the last ones?(i.e.e an 8 year turn rather than a 4)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:26:32 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 10, 2015, 05:27:41 pm »

Assuming we turn off the reactor to work on it, how many parts would we need to make a battery to supply electricity to the computer while we work on the reactor? It doesn't need to hold much - just a few days rather than 50 years.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 10, 2015, 05:33:36 pm »

Not feasible at this time, as you're looking at a 2-week job minimum to strip the reactor, fix the wearing parts, and put it back together-that is, if you want to do it right. You could do a quick and dirty job in 3 days(which is about the limit of having the life support off), but that has a good chance of !FUN! happening
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 10, 2015, 05:37:04 pm »

The reactor should be fine.

Design a modular city. An underground closed environment planned for efficiency and comfort.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 10, 2015, 06:07:39 pm »

We can make more batteries to supply the life support, can't we? What would it take to upgrade some of the normal stasis pods into VR pods? Have we been cycling colonists in and out of the stasis pods as planned?

Load up Civilization: 2057 Edition for one of the VR pods. It includes a massive world, custom-made cultures and civilisations, advanced "diplomacy", and pilotable Giant Death Robots." Each crewmember gets to spend an entire day on their turn. While they're waiting, they can use the companion app on their tablet to design and flesh out their civ's culture or arm their armies so they have something to do. Best of all, due to Civilization's patented "just one more turn..." mechanic, those who plan to kill themselves will want to have "just one more turn" before they do the deed, then just one more turn, then just one more turn, then just one more turn... until they end up never killing themselves.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:12:57 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 10, 2015, 06:10:44 pm »

The reactor should be fine.

Design a modular city. An underground closed environment planned for efficiency and comfort.

+1

Though we do not necessarily need to live underground.  This is an older more stable star system.

Maybe do one turn, and if it is uneventful, you can run the last turn and add in the planets.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 10, 2015, 06:12:40 pm »

Statis pods are cryo capsules in which a person is frozen. A VR pod is fancy Game console.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 10, 2015, 07:46:15 pm »

Though we do not necessarily need to live underground.  This is an older more stable star system.
We might aswell, I mean, we are going to be mining for minerals anyways. Its a good way to start at the least.

+1 to Ebbor's suggestion.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 10, 2015, 08:10:42 pm »

I think you guys are underestimating the effects of poor morale. 5 of our guys suicided because of boredom, we nearly got rekt because our other guys were upset over that incident, and we merely got a 52 on our last morale roll. Even if we don't set up Civilization in the VR pod, we need to do SOMETHING about our morale.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 10, 2015, 08:13:25 pm »

Andres.

The VR pod is like a computer. It already has the frickin game loaded on. When someone uses something they choose what to play. Forcing them to play one thing would make it worse.

There isint really much we can do to help morale.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:50 pm »

I wasn't talking about the VR pod that time around, but my Civilization plan relied more on hooking something they'll feel compelled to keep playing, rather than simply giving them what they want.

Perhaps we can set up some kind of school or college to make our crew members more omni-disciplinarian than they already are? It would keep them busy and they'll learn new skills.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 10, 2015, 08:18:56 pm »

I support that idea, but I think that should be in addition to the base design plan.

Particularly as Tryrar wants to have a single eight year turn instead of two four years.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48