Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33127 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: Pre-launch Turn 3, July to September
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2015, 03:29:44 am »

Well, the explosive bolts for detaching the pod can't be unexploded, and making spares for them is time consuming(plus there's no guarantee you can corral the pod in the first place, they are kinda heavy) . But yeah, I know the point you are trying to make, and it's a risk either way.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2015, 03:40:10 am »

Comp and engine this turn, plus four cargo pods for building then.

Someone, quick, figure out howmuch extra mass we can carry without death, along with keeping some fuel for use at our destination.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2015, 04:03:32 am »

I haven't played or read any other Outpost games so can someone tell me how important the optronic computer is?

Personally, I think we should get an ion drive and a Multipurpose Care and Habitation Bay Mk II. (Mk I will suffice, though.) Going into space without repair tools or a med bay is an AWFUL idea.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2015, 04:08:26 am »

Gives a very nice bonus to any system connected to it, especially engineering, due to the massive database of existing plans and systems to draw upon. Some actions might not need an engineering step for a prototype due to there being something similar enough you want to go to building.

You might be able to duplicate some of this with the ship's comp, but it doesn't nearly have the dedicated storage as a Central Computer does(especially since the ship is an electronic comp).
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2015, 04:11:54 am »

Doesn't really seem worth giving up a medbay and repair tools for.

With the ion drive and an MCHB Mk I we'd have 11 free space leftover. We could try to squeeze in a Recreational Commons room into the Mk II in exchange for more space requirement or we could possibly add another ion drive. (Can two ion drives be implemented with the same build order?)

EDIT: Remember that cargo isn't an issue any more with the creation of the drop pods.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2015, 04:15:33 am »

OPTRONIC CENTRAL COMPUTER FOR CARGO

EDIT: Damn! I thought you guys were asking for the ship computer to be optronic! That was close.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2015, 04:23:27 am »

If we extend the journey we can take smaller fuel tanks and have more mass.  I added 150 extra mass (which we cant possibly take) and on a size 12 fuel tank with 15 year burn and 15 year coast we can make it with a very small fuel reserve.

Also we clearly do not need a focus detection array, there is one planet in the EVEN REMOTELY habitable zone, not like we need to scan 6 planets and an asteroid belt.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2015, 04:27:59 am »

I was kinda hoping not to have another ion drive ship, but it is so efficient!

@tryrar How long is the Ark ship estimated to take?  How long we spend in space will determine how long we have to build.

It is 20 years travel time minimum with Ion.

Edit:  If we add 25 years to our journey time we can save 2 RU!  Don't ask for the math.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:30:33 am by VoidSlayer »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2015, 04:34:37 am »

The ark ship gets to Alpha Centauri in 25 years. We need to get there before them. 5 years should be enough time to set up some decent infrastructure once we get there.

EDIT: You know, considering that Mining Bot Teams are used all around the Sol system, isn't it possible that we could requisition one that's been brought down for repairs or hasn't been sent up yet or something? Could save us some decent RU. Also, we could probably break down the factories that have been building all our stuff for some free materials and parts.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:39:33 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2015, 04:40:06 am »

Yeah, I've abstracted the journey for the Arkship to be about 5 years longer than whatever your travel time is, give or take a year. Saves having to actually design the damn thing and calculate mass and engine output

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2015, 04:43:35 am »

Also, I think I need to make another clarification on the drop pods. It seems a wire was crossed somewhere and you guys are assuming unlimited cargo(barring prohibitive mass penalties). You can only order 2 per turn, and they only hold 5 points of cargo. Sorry if that wasn't clear

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2015, 05:03:07 am »

Provisional build order:

[]Construction:
           []Ion Engine (Estimated 19.26 years travel time)
           []Size 6 fuel tank (4.77 remaining at end of journey, 6.36 YEARS running current generator at max)

[]Cargo:
           []Optronic central computer

[]Research:
           []Combined Medical bay, Workshop and small cargo container size 17 max

After the Ion Engine and Size 6 Fuel tank we have exactly 17 space, if we could just build those three by themselves we would be gold.

Assuming extra mass 80 cargo we would be at 21 years and 3.7 fuel remaining.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2015, 05:11:58 am »

Crap. I'd forgotten that the generator needs fuel. I guess we'll have to do without medical emergencies and repairs for the 20 years we'll be in space.

Let's go with the VSI Magnetoplasma Rocket. It's less likely to break than the ion watchamacallit, it's cheaper, and it'll get us there faster.

[]Research:
           []Combined Medical bay, Workshop and small cargo container size 17 max
NO. We won't have enough build orders to build the rocket, the fuel tanks, AND the combo med bay/workshop by the time January comes around. Instead, let's research attaching fuel tanks directly to the VSI Magnetoplasma Rocket so we can build the VSI Rocket and its fuel with one build order and then get the Mk I of the combo med bay/workshop. Also, cargo isn't an issue. We can get all the cargo space we need with drop pods. In three months, we can get 20 cargo space without taking up a single build order. That's more than enough.

Also, I think I need to make another clarification on the drop pods. It seems a wire was crossed somewhere and you guys are assuming unlimited cargo(barring prohibitive mass penalties). You can only order 2 per turn, and they only hold 5 points of cargo. Sorry if that wasn't clear
It was clear, but considering the cargo space we need it's functionally unlimited.

[]Cargo:
           []Optronic central computer
+1
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 05:14:59 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2015, 05:18:32 am »

...you have one more build turn by my calculation before January. You get the rocket and fuel now, you can get the medbay combo next turn with no issue if I'm not massively misreading something

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2015, 05:20:32 am »

I don't understand, we have 4 more build orders.  Rocket, tanks, M/W/C, cargo pods.

A rocket and size 12 tank will leave 4 space leftover.

Btw I am using 4*Sqrt(Mass/Thrust)*Distance as the travel time... what formula were we actually using...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 48