Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33139 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta: Pre-launch Turn 3, July to September
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2015, 02:44:12 am »

A couple of days? Crap. The air tanks only last for 24 hours. Still, at least they'll be useful for repairs.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2015, 02:44:33 am »

Nix the design for the bots that cant work, instead switch to a package for the VR pods to help the crew with shipboard issues.

Not that it isint a good idea in theory, but we are seriously pressed for time here, and again, software takes no time to build separately from other things. Any high tech thing WE have to build, and we donot have the time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:30 am »

The Heavy Bot Mech is for drilling. Aside from the mining vehicles and the mining bot team, it's the only thing capable of drilling and it's a smaller size than the other two things. The factory needs to be supplied with materials to build more bots. If we don't have initial materials to build bots then all the software in the world won't matter.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2015, 02:50:58 am »

With our luck we will land on an planet of solid metal.

Also, each one of those teams can probably mine enough materials for the factory by its self.

Plus, we can always recycle the outerskin of the ship, the cargopods, that sorta thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2015, 02:52:38 am »

Also, each one of those teams can probably mine enough materials for the factory by its self.
Which of what teams? The mining teams that I mentioned earlier? You just argued against bringing some because we can build some when we get there. If we're bringing a mining team we might as well bring the HBM because it can mine and it takes up less cargo space.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:54:46 am by Andres »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2015, 02:53:31 am »

I would like to point out you only have sheer manpower to build and move things as well, excepting for the heavy bot mech. You might wanna think about options there
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2015, 02:57:09 am »

We can order alot of stuff and shove it in the cargo pods now, so we can very well bring along stuff.
Also, where did I say we shouldent bring any mining things?
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2015, 02:58:33 am »

You were nixing his idea for the small mining bots, that's what he was getting at. I think, anways
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2015, 02:59:26 am »

We'll take the HBM. Also:
Composite Biomedical Support Facility (CBSF).  50 RU.  Size 16.  Mass 22.  Electricity 17 MW.  A basic medbay, a closed-loop Life-support system, and 40 compact crypods packed into one module.  Provides life support to 24 awake or 120 cryosleepers, stores 40 cryopods, and provides basic medical facilities. Note: High maintenance; more likely to fail in-flight and to
And to what?

We can order alot of stuff and shove it in the cargo pods now, so we can very well bring along stuff.
The problem with the drop pods is that whatever's inside is likely to break. We can't afford to have the HBM break so we can't put it in the drop pod.

You were nixing his idea for the small mining bots, that's what he was getting at. I think, anways
Yup.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2015, 03:01:32 am »

If we get mining bot teams, the ones that are allready all over the sol system, and distribute them among the pods than statistically most will survive. Those that dont might be able to be cobbled into other ones, or recycled for things.
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2015, 03:06:35 am »

I guess I need to clarify about the drop pods. The safety systems do mean that the only thing that might break on a good landing is delicate glass items(since there is still a hefty jolt), and since it was a critical success designing them, they tend to work as advertised. You'd have to really have the dice gods hate you for a malfunction to happen(the worst that's LIKELY to happen is landing a fair distance off course, requiring a trek to recover the supplies).

Now, As for the mining bots, I'll say with a good research roll you might be able to get half-sized bots that work almost as well, but as for bots that produce atmosphere, I'll be an either or proposition:you get smaller bots or bots that make CO2 as a byproduct.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2015, 03:23:14 am »

Neat cargo pods.  Glad to have so much interest!

Okay this turn one build slot MUST have an engine, we can save the fuel for next turn but we need to decide what engine type we are taking this turn.

The following assumes a size 12 fuel tank.

Fusion Torch is cheap but takes up a lot of space, and needs even more fuel.  But if we go for a long coast period, like half the time, it uses less fuel with our super good reactor.  We also do not need the extra power. 14-18 years with 4-7 fuel leftover.

VSI Magnetoplasma is a little more expensive, and slower, but will allow less fuel used and we can basically fire the damn engine for the entire trip at the fuel savings.  Half coasting will be the longest trip but allow for the least fuel. 16.5-21.5 years with 5.6-7.6 fuel left over.

Ion drives are basically free fuel wise with our super reactor, but expensive and slow.  20 years with 16 fuel leftover.  We can save some (6-8) RUs on a smaller fuel tank obviously, also smallest engine.

Researching a combined Medical bay and maintenance without cryo pods would be a good idea, it will save us a build space later. 

Or we can go without a medical bay or a workshop, put in a  larger cargo thingy and pray.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2015, 03:24:26 am »

Also even regular cargo space isn't safe from threat of damage during transit and landing.  Those cargo pods sound safer then inside the ship!

Also if we want an Optronic Central Computer it is now or never.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2015, 03:26:10 am »

Minus some malfunction happening and the whole pod detaching in transit of course >:D

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2015, 03:27:56 am »

Minus some malfunction happening and the whole pod detaching in transit of course >:D

Did you miss the part in outpost 3 where the cargo crane started attacking the cargo?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 48