Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33039 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 13
« Reply #690 on: February 20, 2015, 03:03:05 pm »

Meat-vat kit takes one person to run.  I presume a cobbled together version takes at least that.
I missed that.

[]Life Sciences Laboratory(Mass cloning) (1 manpower)
 Make meat (1 manpower) (Presumably auto-successful because we never get rolls for Life Support)

[]VR CAD(+5) (2 manpower)
 Cybernetics Lab(design only) (30/250) (1 manpower, Lisa) (+5 VR CAD, Lisa:+20 Engineering)
 Less accident-prone factory(design only) (1 manpower) (+5 VR CAD)

We should design or build an ore separator and smelter then a 8 man workshop next to the ship, we can use that to run cable to the final site then set up the factory kit once we have power connected.
No we shouldn't. A factory is an ore separator, a smelter, and a workshop rolled into one. It's actually cheaper to build a factory than it is to build those three things individually. As for cabling, it's unnecessary. We'll just take the reactor (and by extension the ship) and push it to the site.

GM, I was wondering if you could dedicate a paragraph or even just a sentence or two describing Chiron itself. It doesn't feel like we're in an alien world and it would really help with immersion.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 20, 2015, 03:16:40 pm »

Sorry, I meant a larger sized ore separator and smelter as one building to provide metal to the MMFK, workshops and construction projects then a separate manpower intensive workshop (which should be dirt cheap to build, its literally a room with modern tools)

I would rather not spend the last of our advanced parts on expanding our industrial base, those two things should not require any advanced parts.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 20, 2015, 03:19:01 pm »

No we shouldn't. A factory is an ore separator,
A shit one.
a smelter,
A shit one
and a workshop rolled into one.
It is rather good at that. Although it can only work on one thing at a time, unlike the workshop (I think the workshop can have several groups working on different things in it)

We'll just take the reactor (and by extension the ship) and push it to the site.
How?

-Ninja-caused edit

Spending advanced parts right now is a really bad idea in any case, we dont have the resources to make more even if we had facilities that could.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:46 pm »

No we shouldn't. A factory is an ore separator,
A shit one.
a smelter,
A shit one
Where does it say they're crap at ore-separating and smelting?

We'll just take the reactor (and by extension the ship) and push it to the site.
How?
Raw Manpower. Actually possible with enough manpower, but it'll take a while.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 20, 2015, 04:13:18 pm »

The factory kit is good at batch type work, we need to produce a lot of materials for various projects.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:50 pm »

We are talking about the my first factory kit, right? If so, than on the first page, with
though availability of pre-processed materials speeds up the function of this unit
, and in Every other outpost game, where it gives something like a -10 or -20 hit to making things when using raw ore. At the same time, an ore possessor requires one person, does not break down as often, uses a tenth the power, and is abouthalf the size.

We are talking about a spaceship. A interstellar space ship. We would need everyone on the ark for that.

Why dont we just dig a tunnel between the ship and the planned complex?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:14:47 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 20, 2015, 04:54:13 pm »

We are talking about the my first factory kit, right? If so, than on the first page, with
though availability of pre-processed materials speeds up the function of this unit
, and in Every other outpost game, where it gives something like a -10 or -20 hit to making things when using raw ore. At the same time, an ore possessor requires one person, does not break down as often, uses a tenth the power, and is abouthalf the size.

[/quote]

We are talking about a spaceship. A interstellar space ship. We would need everyone on the ark for that.

Why dont we just dig a tunnel between the ship and the planned complex?
[/quote]

That would work well, with a small amount of insulating materials we could make hooks or pillars to hold the copper cables in a controlled environment.  It would be much more labor intensive the just coating the wires in rubber but a knob and tube system uses technology from basically the 1880s, with earth having a low chance of starting fires, air cooling, and hopefully a more advanced material or ceramics to hold the wires.  We would still need a lot of copper wire and to find some strong, insulating material from the craft.  Or maybe the native plants?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 20, 2015, 05:04:28 pm »

Or we could save a bunch of resources and use my idea which would involve sending electricity without physical contact. The only downside there is the engineering difficulty and maybe some inefficiency if technology hasn't advanced that far yet. We should also do tests on that mystery mineral before we do anything involving electricity transfer. We can build a laboratory to study it next turn. We're building a factory and the OCC this turn so that's unfortunately not an option for now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 20, 2015, 05:16:07 pm »

Microwaves are affected by atmospheric conditions, and have a rather large drop-off in efficiency over a distance.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:13 pm »

Except we're in the future and we have a mystery mineral on our hands. It might become viable in the near future.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 20, 2015, 05:58:51 pm »

I seriously doubt that any material would reduce the effects of an atmosphere on transmitting of energy via microwave radiation through it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 20, 2015, 06:02:17 pm »

"I seriously doubt we can blow up a city just by slamming these two green rocks together" - Julius Caesar
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:25:43 pm by Andres »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 20, 2015, 06:10:11 pm »

Concentrating arrays can help, but that's all really high tech.

I would be good either way if we had the parts, but low tech will not use up the remaining advanced parts which we need for repairs of critical systems.

This is really just temporary until we can find a way to make solar panels/fusion/something else at the site.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 20, 2015, 06:27:49 pm »

Fusion is out of the question unless we can find some He-3 and Chiron doesn't have any moons, I think. Solar's our best bet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2015, 06:56:09 pm »

Andres. We are talking about transmission of energy through air. No material is going to affect much what will happen in that situation, and if you are transmitting energy via another medium, such as that new material, thats a cable.

-And ninjas. While I went to eat food. Meaning this is really old now...-

Fusion DOES NOT require He-3. There other reactions that work, we have a design for a reactor for just that.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48