Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48

Author Topic: Outpost Delta Turn 13  (Read 33099 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost Delta Turn 11
« Reply #570 on: February 17, 2015, 04:46:12 pm »

So can we do it or not?

Because it's, as far as I see it currently directly contradictory to basic physics. (AFAIK, atmosphere doesn't contain any combustible elements, which is good, because if it did it would burn.)

Correction : Tryrar's interpretation is a design that consumes power tp produce oxygen and water from the atmosphere, right? Don't think we want that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:47:56 pm by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 17, 2015, 04:48:13 pm »

I think he just wants to separate oxygen and water from the atmosphere for the price of a good chunk of power, which I think can be done by compressing and chemically separating it in an atmospheric exploitation facility
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 17, 2015, 04:59:26 pm »

All the original lists included it producing power though.

Anyway, considering this planet has native plantlife, that means it has atmospheric water. Getting that out is simply as what, just cool the air and wait for condensation. (No filtration needed, as, iirc, the outside is safe to walk around naked). Extracting oxygen is something for which we already have blueprints.

So, waste of an engineering slot.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 17, 2015, 05:47:37 pm »

Oxygen is extremely flammable.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 17, 2015, 05:52:01 pm »

....Oxygen in of itself is not flammable. What it is though is the perfect oxidizer(duh) that allows energy to be used to fuel chemical reactions(of what heat is an expression of). a 100% pure oxygen room won't in itself light on fire if you light a match(though the match will burn VERY brightly), but if you have something that can react with oxygen in the room in the correct proportions, then FWOOM. That means we'll need some actual fuel for that reactor if you want actual power production
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 17, 2015, 06:10:49 pm »

What about a small, flying vehicle? A flying car, for instance.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:38 pm »

Not doable with current resources. Your best bet is the scanning equipment(though that WILL take some basic and advanced parts. It will allow for ore deposit discovery though)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 17, 2015, 06:16:18 pm »

This is just engineering. Even if we don't have the resources it's useful to have the plans. What's the difficulty on designing/making the scanning equipment?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:12 pm »

I dont think anti-grav has been invented yet in that universe...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 17, 2015, 06:31:22 pm »

First of all, how did gravity work while we were in space? (Not assuming they invented artificial gravity. There are multiple ways it could've been done and art-grav might've been one of them.) Secondly, we could just add thrusters or propellers to the vehicle.

What's the difficulty of making some kind of communications system that'll let us contact the ark?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 17, 2015, 06:37:25 pm »

The subsurface scanning equipment? Autosuccess. Plans for a flying vehicle of some sort? Might have those already in the OCC. A comm installation able to communicate with the ark? Not possible since it doesn't have the comm laser upgrade. (Plus, you're not sure of it's exact flight path and there is interference concerns with AC A and Proxima.)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 17, 2015, 06:39:10 pm »

The subsurface scanning equipment? Autosuccess.
We can autosuccess it without using the autosuccess we won from the last turn?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 17, 2015, 06:40:16 pm »

Nope :P. It falls under the 100 or less heading

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 17, 2015, 06:59:30 pm »

....Oxygen in of itself is not flammable. What it is though is the perfect oxidizer(duh) that allows energy to be used to fuel chemical reactions(of what heat is an expression of). a 100% pure oxygen room won't in itself light on fire if you light a match(though the match will burn VERY brightly), but if you have something that can react with oxygen in the room in the correct proportions, then FWOOM. That means we'll need some actual fuel for that reactor if you want actual power production
Preeeeetty sure oxygen is flammable on its own, and a 100% oxygen room will infact explode.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 17, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »

A quick google search tells me that oxygen is NOT flammable on its own.

What about a combined LSL and general laboratory? Is that under 100? Is the difficulty higher or lower than the SSE? Does anyone have any suggestions for this autosuccessful engineering project besides the SSE? Any ideas at all?

EDIT: What about an alchemy engine? Something that can turn one type of atom into another using energy? In the case where we're making a heavy element into a lighter element, we can use the energy released to get a surplus, or at least decrease the energy costs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:12:33 pm by Andres »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 48