Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Nobody Poops  (Read 43157 times)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody Poops
« Reply #240 on: April 30, 2015, 01:29:43 pm »

Here we have evidence A that we would weaponize it.

And the problem with that is...?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 30, 2015, 01:31:35 pm »

Here we have evidence A that we would weaponize it.

And the problem with that is...?
Think of the clean up.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 30, 2015, 05:34:19 pm »

Think of the clean up.

No need. This would be in a special drowning chamber deep underground where enemies would be cast and left to die in the filth.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 30, 2015, 08:07:23 pm »

Think of the clean up.

No need. This would be in a special drowning chamber deep underground where enemies would be cast and left to die in the filth.
How is that different from what we already do to legendary animal dissectors?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:49 am »

Why would you kill an ordinary, harmless dwarf? They can learn new skills, join the militia, or just haul.

It is different because of the additional cruelty of reading that a dwarf has "drowned in filth".

For old times' sake.
« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2015, 10:55:20 am »

Why would you kill an ordinary, harmless dwarf? They can learn new skills, join the militia, or just haul.

It is different because of the additional cruelty of reading that a dwarf has "drowned in filth".
we wouldn't do it to normal dwarves, we'd do it to nobles and elves.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2015, 03:40:47 pm »

we wouldn't do it to normal dwarves, we'd do it to nobles and elves.
I tend to leave my nobles alone. Except for the occasion where they have insane preferences.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2015, 03:58:29 pm »

This was one of the original topics back at the dawn of DF, and the answer was "no".  People seem to reinvent it every few months, but the answer is always no.  The game is better off without gritty realistic pee and poop simulation.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2015, 04:07:44 pm »

The game is better off without gritty realistic pee and poop simulation.
I don’t think it’s fair to say that, as if Toady tried it and the game suffered. It should be possible to add waste to the game tastefully.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2015, 04:21:43 pm »

I don’t think it’s fair to say that, as if Toady tried it and the game suffered.
  It is, however, fair to say the question has been asked, the answer is no, and these threads are pointless.
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2015, 06:06:05 pm »

I don’t think it’s fair to say that, as if Toady tried it and the game suffered.
  It is, however, fair to say the question has been asked, the answer is no, and these threads are pointless.
Toady said no because he didn't like it in the way he or the people who suggested it before envisioned it, but he isn't omniscient and maybe their are ways that it could be implemented that would be approved, but that no one has thought of yet, although I agree that just screaming ADD SHIT GODDAMMIT is useless.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »

Toady said no because he didn't like it in the way he or the people who suggested it before envisioned it, but he isn't omniscient and maybe their are ways that it could be implemented that would be approved, but that no one has thought of yet, although I agree that just screaming ADD SHIT GODDAMMIT is useless.
The game already has two hardcoded FILTH materials, and MATERIAL_EMMISION interactions.  If anyone was hellbent on making a pissing contest mod it would have already happened.  The suggestion just needs to be framed in how it helps the game be more fun and/or more interesting.  The farming overhaul seems like an ideal place to do that.

It would probably be best for the filth to be abstract fertilizing unless too much of it gets in one place (as could easily happen if the fort is turtling).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2015, 06:25:19 pm »

The idea has been resisted on all fronts for nearly a decade.

Maybe, just maybe, an idea almost universally disliked by players and the developer shouldn't go into the game.  Just maybe?
« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2015, 06:33:27 pm »

What's turtling?
The idea has been resisted on all fronts for nearly a decade.

Maybe, just maybe, an idea almost universally disliked by players and the developer shouldn't go into the game.  Just maybe?
As I said, maybe if a clever new way of implementing it is invented, then maybe it wouldn't be resisted.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2015, 06:36:41 pm »

What's turtling?
Closing your dwarves inside the fort until the siege, beast, etc. goes away.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21