Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Nobody Poops  (Read 43086 times)

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobody Poops
« Reply #225 on: March 17, 2015, 04:49:14 am »

A blow can be lethal without caving in the skull. Given that the roc dung would completely entomb the victim, with only some of it hitting his head,  it seems more likely that he would be knocked out and suffocated inside the heap.
I suspect that rocs cough up pellets like hawks and owls. Bird poop tends to be less solid than that of other animals. I'm not sure it could entomb somebody out in the open.

My (short) research into bird pellets suggests that the pellet size is more a function of the size of the prey than the size of the bird. Obviously smaller bird means smaller prey overall.

This would suggest Roc pellets would be much smaller than I was projecting. The other thing is since pellets would be made of the indegestibles like hair and bone (research said owl pellets often have intact skulls in them) they ironically may be much more likely to pulp a skull or at least fracture it since it could be being hit with another skull.  :)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 17, 2015, 06:29:44 am »

I hadn't thought of that part. I'd hate it if the surface was constantly covered in poop because of gigantic creatures.

Poop will have to decompose rather quickly on soil, either on the surface or in the caves. Maybe it can work like water does now where a small amount of it will disappear after a while but as the amount grows it becomes more permanent and unwieldy.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 17, 2015, 12:50:52 pm »

I hadn't thought of that part. I'd hate it if the surface was constantly covered in poop because of gigantic creatures.

Poop will have to decompose rather quickly on soil, either on the surface or in the caves. Maybe it can work like water does now where a small amount of it will disappear after a while but as the amount grows it becomes more permanent and unwieldy.

He had made it, he was sure of it now. The last echo of the slavers horn was almost a whisper, and that had been 2 days ago. His mother had taught him all he knew of herb lore and he would not go hungry for fruits and berries, yet he knew without some fat he would perish.

At least the horns were gone, he didn't miss the horns of course or the people who blew them but Daylen was a deeply social man and greatly missed the bustle and the noise of his old life. It wasn't enough to go back of course, but the calm stillness of the savanna gnawed at him as he plodded over each shallow crest of the rolling hills.

There has to be something here, something to catch, something to cook in a low flame till it crackled and crisped in the steady heat, he thought to himself. He looked up to the skies and on the horizon a large ominous cloud was coming in, it would be here by nightfall. He would need shelter.

At the crest of the next hill, at least his newest need seemed answered, off in the distance was a larger crest and atop it was a massive gnarled old tree. There were never really any trees of consequence back in the camps. He could make it there by nightfall surely, at least he would be dry.

He trudged onward chuckling to himself as he walked through an array of spices perfect for the meat he could nowhere seem to find in this oddly empty land. He plucked what he wanted thinking that he would find some game eventually and that it would make that meal only the more enjoyable when he did, smiling to himself.

The sky was growing dimmer as he arrived at the base of the hillock. Up ahead at the crest a massive tree loomed. He grinned as he heard the approaching rumble of thunder, at least he would be dry, at least he would be dry and the slavers would never come this far, not for just him. As he walked he ran into a lump of fur, matted and pressed, still and silent.

Curious he poked it with his staff, then his knife. It was dry and compact, unlike any corpse he had ever seen. He peeled back mats of the dried hair and then he saw it. It was a large skull, from the shape of it it must've been a horse. What could have done this? He found a few more bones inside the pile but it was nothing but bones and hair, nothing for him, at least not now.

He shook the clumped hair from his hands and brushed himself off shaking his head in frustration as he continued his ascent. There were more of those mounds as he went. The whole hill seemed to be covered in them. Most were mounds about up to his waist but some had cracked and opened in the sun the white bones jutting out. Oddly none had been broken.

He smiled to himself as he finally approached the tree, but his throat caught as he noticed it. There were so many of them. So many mounds here all around the tree, more than he had seen on the whole hill combined. He ran.

He ran down the hill away from this place, he had no idea what was happening here but it disturbed him greatly. The thunder boomed overhead and the sky darkened suddenly. He turned up and back at the great whooshing sound. It was as big as the sky. A giant shadow in the shape of a bird, growing as it swooped down. A massive beak larger than even himself opened as it flew down to greet him, and then he knew he was only going to end up another little mound on a hill.

As the darkness closed around him a grim smile drew across his lips, at least he was well seasoned :).

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 17, 2015, 03:29:29 pm »

How about apes throwing poop at your woodcutters? Like spitting, but much, much more [CDI:USAGE_HINT:NEGATIVE_SOCIAL_RESPONSE].

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:53 pm »

YAHG, that was AWESOME.

Also... gets me thinking about bat guano in caves and how thick of a layer it can form on the ground.  Definitely needs to be a thing...

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 17, 2015, 06:03:04 pm »

YAHG, that was AWESOME.

Also... gets me thinking about bat guano in caves and how thick of a layer it can form on the ground.  Definitely needs to be a thing...

Thank you.

As soon as I saw his quote I was thinking about how cool it would be to journey into the monsters den just the whole setting of it, ominous and dark. It just builds up to epic confrontations were all our adventurers will be pwned like the newbs we all know they are  :-\.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2015, 05:34:11 pm »

Until Dwarf AI gets way the fuck better, and the game is optimized again so it doesn't use up so much resources, I'd really -really- hate to see this.

Even if it was added, it should be called 'waste' probably.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2015, 10:45:53 am »

Until Dwarf AI gets way the fuck better, and the game is optimized again so it doesn't use up so much resources, I'd really -really- hate to see this.

Even if it was added, it should be called 'waste' probably.

Who says these things should not happen first? I ask for a Masterwork style grouping of, for example, "x animal leather" items into just "leather" items, which can make the game run a quarter faster than it does now.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2015, 09:42:42 am »

Going back to the crap-a-pults, a nice addition would be catapults throwing corpses to spread disease, like in the middle ages, although then it was mostly used by the besiegers.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2015, 05:42:11 pm »

Going back to the crap-a-pults, a nice addition would be catapults throwing corpses to spread disease, like in the middle ages, although then it was mostly used by the besiegers.
Fetchez la vache!

Run away! Run away!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:43:44 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2015, 04:34:39 pm »

Fetchez la vache!

Run away! Run away!

Allez chercher la vache! Enfuyons-nous! Enfuyons-nous!

Unless you really want the Monty Python references so much you add franglais to DF.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54:12 pm »

I don't know if anyone said this already, but if poop was in this game in any form, we would invent a poop drowning chamber among other things. I'm sure that's not a road we all want to go down right now.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2015, 11:59:03 am »

I posted in a thread like this years ago.  I still support this idea, since its pretty much the main challenge you face if you want a totally underground community sealed off from the surface.

Its good to see that resistance isn't so vehement this time around.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2015, 10:16:00 am »

I don't know if anyone said this already, but if poop was in this game in any form, we would invent a poop drowning chamber among other things. I'm sure that's not a road we all want to go down right now.

I would LOVE to drown a noble in his own shite after he has imprisoned my star armoursmith.

For old times' sake.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2015, 12:26:46 pm »

I would LOVE to drown a noble in his own shite after he has imprisoned my star armoursmith.

Here we have evidence A that we would weaponize it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21