Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: You are an Oracle  (Read 9292 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
You are an Oracle
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:59:00 am »

Taking the idea from the simant series and dwarf fortress, of course, I wanted to make a colony game of my most feared of nemesis. . . . The Antmen. So here is my rendition of such a logical feat.
(Will be edited for the opening post soon, do to sudden need to switch to my phone.)

It was time. Even though the colony itself was new, recently split from its mother colony because of differences in ideals and distrust of their Oracle, the Oracle herself was quite aged. As her time on this earth grew short, she grabbed an egg from one of the queens, and taught the young that emerged as much as she could about the past, of gods and other beings looking carefully on the lowly creatures that often find themselves in the same habitats. How they, though powerless, worked so hard that each one was bestowed great intelligent. How such intellect turned them to worship those beings, who quickly grew bored with their creation, and left them to grow on their own, while they went on to newer projects, may of which were still going, though imperceptible. She also taught the youngling, while on her deathbed, of the spirits, guides of quite unknowable nature, who sometimes speak in her mind. But those stories ended too soon. As her last breath was taken, she was taken away, quickly, her staff given to you. It was twice her hight. Nearly three times yours.
But, we get getting ahead of ourselves, arnt we? What is your name, young ex-Seer?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:59:23 am by zomara0292 »
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
Re: You are an Oracle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:51 am »

PTW.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:25:25 am »

Peter the Wondrous

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:49:53 pm »

Peter the Wondrous
Your head fills with the faintest of whispers, almost as though the old rulers were trying to summon you.
Old rulers . . . . You try to remember what the old Oracle had said about the old Colony. It was. . . .it was different than the system we have now. How would you describe the cast system we have now?

Individualistic: Not so much of a caste system as a mindset. Because of the greater than ant nature of your race, you all tend to look for your own advantages.
+ random inventions, both good and bad, may crop up in your colony, from time to time.
- As long as you are young. You have no heeding. And, if you get to old, your ramblings are that of the senile. -1 to suggestions made to the Colony

Long Live the (Queens/Workers/Soldiers ): The head of the hive is chosen by the caste that wins the uprising.
+The caste in power gets a +3 to the actions they make involving their caste
- the castes not in power tend to not take their loss lightly. 50% chance that they will subtly work against their 'superiors' giving actions involving those not of the head cast a -1.

Swarming Hive: you live for the colony as a whole, and the few who act for their own benefit will find themselves shunned.
+As the queens advisers, and ones who are known to put the group before all, you get a +3 to all commands towards the Colony, when outside the presence of the queens.
- if you are found by the colony to be working against them, in their eyes, your head shall be removed, and body left to rot, as a new seer becomes an Oracle in your place.

Other: please explain, what it is. I will tell you the positives and negatives for it,
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 04:55:07 pm »

Individualistic

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 04:55:16 pm »

Swarming Hive: We're Antmen for Armok's sake.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 05:26:37 pm »

I guess I'll try to break the tie: Individualistic caste system
Max avatar size is 80x80

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »

> Long Live the Workers
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 07:42:35 pm »

I am going to give this a bit more time for the sake of wanting to see what might come out of it.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 08:09:18 pm »

Worker Guilds

The tasks of the colony are divided into separate organizations, the heads of which form a counsel.  Elders pass on often secret information to apprentices and journeymen and rising through the ranks means pleasing those above you.  New guilds can be established from old ones splitting or new fields being discovered.  Existing guilds include Maternal (raising new ants and feeding the queen; headed by the queen), Diggers, Crafters (really only simple crafts right now anyway, likely to split), Fooders and Kill Enemies!.  The oracle does not have an official place but anyone can speak if invited by a head.
+ Bonus to one area each turn depending on guild supported
- Guild system makes it slow to adopt new ways, hurting invention

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 08:32:56 pm »

Worker Guilds

The tasks of the colony are divided into separate organizations, the heads of which form a counsel.  Elders pass on often secret information to apprentices and journeymen and rising through the ranks means pleasing those above you.  New guilds can be established from old ones splitting or new fields being discovered.  Existing guilds include Maternal (raising new ants and feeding the queen; headed by the queen), Diggers, Crafters (really only simple crafts right now anyway, likely to split), Fooders and Kill Enemies!.  The oracle does not have an official place but anyone can speak if invited by a head.
+ Bonus of +1 to one area each action, depending on guild supported
- Guild system makes it slow to adopt new ways, hurting invention by giving a -1 to the spread of new inventions
Fixed it to fit in the ruleset I have now.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 08:34:32 pm »

Swarming Hive: We're Antmen for Armok's sake.
+1

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 08:47:39 pm »

Worker Guilds

+ Bonus of +1 to one area each action, depending on guild supported
- Guild system makes it slow to adopt new ways, hurting invention by giving a -1 to the spread of new inventions
Fixed it to fit in the ruleset I have now.

Yeah I went vague on specific rules.  The idea is that a lesser bonus can be applied to wherever we want.

Looks like it is a swarm hive though.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 08:57:26 pm »

All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 09:06:17 pm »

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6