Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 230082 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #360 on: June 23, 2016, 06:25:08 pm »

That one hasn't been said before, that's great. If anybody's lurking and avoiding making a suggestion go ahead and make it, anything that adds to the knowledge base is good.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 23, 2016, 07:11:29 pm »

Öndin Abod (Fade Strike)

Okay, I'll admit. I can see this being interesting. Does the attack suffer the multi-attack damage penalty that it would if you made multiple actual attacks, though?
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 23, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »

That one hasn't been said before, that's great. If anybody's lurking and avoiding making a suggestion go ahead and make it, anything that adds to the knowledge base is good.

If equipment usage is okay, I'd have added the xploity Zágod Rifot (Grip Block), thoigh these days you won't have to finish with a weapon, creature material dependent.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #363 on: June 23, 2016, 08:14:58 pm »

Öndin Abod (Fade Strike)

Okay, I'll admit. I can see this being interesting. Does the attack suffer the multi-attack damage penalty that it would if you made multiple actual attacks, though?
Honestly, I don't know. I don't have enough thorough knowledge of the DF combat system to tell the difference, and when I first discovered the technique, it was while fighting hordes of zombies, who aren't exactly good at dodging.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 23, 2016, 08:56:28 pm »

Arena testing suggests that move is really awesome. You can score a quick shot to the foot or shin while dodging and put the enemy on the ground with a nasty sprain. I'm not sure if it takes a damage reduction as a multi attack but I just took it to the arena and beat a dragon unconscious with it so if it doesn't pack the punch you're looking for I suggest you use a nuke.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #365 on: June 23, 2016, 10:45:11 pm »

Arena testing suggests that move is really awesome. You can score a quick shot to the foot or shin while dodging and put the enemy on the ground with a nasty sprain. I'm not sure if it takes a damage reduction as a multi attack but I just took it to the arena and beat a dragon unconscious with it so if it doesn't pack the punch you're looking for I suggest you use a nuke.

Wow. So I legitimately discovered a thing. :D
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:49 pm »

I thought that was a standard thing?

You don't get the multi-attack accuracy penalty if you don't aim a second attack and instead dodge, dodging away from the enemy entirely is ideal when it is a really dangerous foe, or to get room from a crowd, but moving around them is handy in a more even fight.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 23, 2016, 11:18:03 pm »

Wonder if that will help keep you out of the way of bogeymen just as well.

How does the player's and opponents' skills factor into it?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:52 pm »

Even for an unskilled fighter it's a solid technique. I'll also note that if you dodge AWAY from the enemy they have to come to you to continue the fight. That little bit of breathing room means there's no downside to using a wild attack.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:34 pm »

Wow. So I legitimately discovered a thing. :D

Yes as an unarmed Kisat Dur technique it is definitely a new thing. Prudent Viper was the first to write about the general idea of multi-attack + dodge away in the "zombies now insanely hard?" thread in Sept 2014. But Prudent Viper was talking about attacking with a weapon. Context for some, semantics for others. Everyone's MMV.

EDIT: -_- Gah, okay so no, this is not a new thing, due to my misreading again. Prudent Viper was talking about unarmed there. But he didn't give it a name.

Even for an unskilled fighter it's a solid technique. I'll also note that if you dodge AWAY from the enemy they have to come to you to continue the fight. That little bit of breathing room means there's no downside to using a wild attack.

One issue is Wild Attack subtracts 1 tick from the PREPARE, but adds *2* ticks to RECOVER making this a 2:5. I guess the question is if you attack in 2 ticks and then your opponent gets his/her attack in as you dodge away, does their attack occur in that 5 tick recovery period?

EDIT: Just to add in, I mention the above because while specifically choosing to dodge away will amplify the dodge roll at the expense of the parry or block roll, recovery dampens things a bit. Does it even out or does the high roll overcome the negative? Might just be needless hairsplitting on my part. Toady mentioned manually choosing a defensive posture causing amplification in DF Talk 21.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:21:42 am by peasant cretin »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 24, 2016, 04:06:54 pm »

Just now trying out Fade Strike on a brush titan. This is fucking beautiful. owo
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 26, 2016, 12:24:36 am »

I also started using fade strike, it works like a charm against groups.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 26, 2016, 01:01:27 am »

I really thought that was a standard technique all this time.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 26, 2016, 01:48:10 am »

I oughta eat you for trying to yoink this from the gardevoir. o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 26, 2016, 01:56:28 am »

I oughta eat you for trying to yoink this from the gardevoir. o3o

Max was just surprised. I remembered that multi-attack + dodge came from outside this thread, so that would be more directed to me. I'm fearful of specific dragons, but I feel good odds if you're randomly generated.

That all said, the tactic never had a name and leafbarrett gave it one. (Sorry Prudent Viper).
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37