Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37

Author Topic: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art  (Read 230062 times)

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2015, 10:26:06 pm »

I can't wait for combat stances; that should spice Martial Arts Techniques to a whole new level. Actually is there currently any way to mod the combat system?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2015, 02:25:10 am »

Tested many of the moves in adventure mode; Kisat Dur is actually very effective. It's like Fist of the Dwarf Star up in here. ATATATATATATATATATATATATATA

Needs to be added to the wiki IMO. You are already dead. It was inevitable.
Fist of the Dwarf Star... perfect, why didn't I think of that instead of just using Omae wa mou shindeiru for my thread on killing goblins so fast that the game doesn't properly respond until they hit the ground.

killy667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2015, 10:51:41 pm »

I found this thread recently and decided to make a dwarf monk-hermit guy. I went to the wilds, slaughtering tons of animals and increasing my skills of Kisat Dur. Well, a pack of dingos jumped me at night, around 6-8 and I killed all of them like a badass and even ripped ones eye out for the fun. It's safe to say i'm set on food, but these frozen rivers are a bitch.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:27 am »

This is uncredibly awesome!
are there any adventurer more stories told by practitioners of this valiant art now?

killy667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2015, 01:56:22 pm »

I understand this is martial arts, but using a spear I found, I found it really useful to hold someone in place after I impale them. That and it helps with disabling toes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2015, 05:07:15 pm »

So I just performed a pretty nice insurrection. A year prior I'd already placed a claim on the site and after settling decided to try and take over proper, killing the lord in front of everyone where they could see rather than stealthily in the night (which in hindsight is a terrible way to take over a place, when nobody knows you've done it).
So I approach the lord and initiate an attempt at the Cave-in Strike which failed because I cannot into understanding what order to do things in. Anyway he still ran way like a little bitch despite being trained in combat, so I chased him. I got a solid shot in on a leg and in the confusion grabbed my companion's spear (*wink*). I figured "why not" and stuck it straight through the lord's head, killing him.

PREPOSTEDIT: Huh, looks like the game crashed so I'll have to do it again.
This time the Cave-in Strike went smoothly and knocked him out against the far wall. So I went up and choked him out while my companion twisted a spear into his side. It's beautiful ;_;

EDIT 2: Holy shit the effectiveness of the cave-in strike is INSANE. Even if you don't actually make the grab you still force them to use their dodge before you jump, and the skid damage... I just killed (accidentally, I only wanted to beat a lesson into him) an ex-companion who took issue with my methods of killing people. One jump into him and when he hit the wall... SPLAT goes the upper body.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:18:16 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2015, 05:33:25 pm »

Yes the cave in strike is the defining move in this art.
And as I also didnt understand how to do it straight away, but it easy.
Grapple any body part with any limb, then before the grapple is confirmed 'J'ump. Either two thing will happen, you will get a confirmed hit message you hit bizznitch or a miss try again chumpster.
If you hit follow through with the jump and as long as the path of the jump meets the target they will go flying. While the tech says a sprinting start. A standing start is as debilitating... after all, we just need a slight upperhand to win a fight.
Wait no..
All we need is love.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2015, 05:44:02 pm »

Yes the cave in strike is the defining move in this art.
And as I also didnt understand how to do it straight away, but it easy.
Grapple any body part with any limb, then before the grapple is confirmed 'J'ump. Either two thing will happen, you will get a confirmed hit message you hit bizznitch or a miss try again chumpster.
If you hit follow through with the jump and as long as the path of the jump meets the target they will go flying. While the tech says a sprinting start. A standing start is as debilitating... after all, we just need a slight upperhand to win a fight.
Wait no..
All we need is love.

That particular strategy works for grappling limbs, I didn't know that was possible when I thought up the Cave-In strike. The technique I was using was to grab an item. This doesn't prevent jumping like actual wrestling does. 

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2015, 06:01:41 pm »

Dragonfall requires a full runup and high enough speeds prevent dodges from being very effective, Cave-in strike can be used while right next to someone. With a cave-in you're probably going to get the weapon away and possibly do some damage, with dragonfall you're not guaranteed to get the weapon, but you will send them flyyyyyiiiiiinnnnnngggggg across the ground unless they're super fast and manage to dodge.

Oddly, I was messing with the avatar of armok from the modding thread and set the punch attack/recover to 1/1 and while trying to dragonfall something I actually managed to punch the head off before slamming into them.

Normally I put close combat as the default attack type for dragonfall so the latch attempts help the impact stick better, but it's hilarious that I tackled someone and knocked their head off mid-jump.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2015, 10:52:48 pm »

This thread is cool.

You must defeat Måmgoz Nônub to stand a chance.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ShutUpWesley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2015, 01:31:12 am »

Definitely need to compile all techniques into a single post. It'd also help to consolidate into one writing style, but that's less necessary.

This thread made my day, btw. I want to go design my own martial arts style.

Shellcore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2015, 12:04:08 am »

Is the translation correct and how to post pictures?

Ar ëtul - Flesh fling

Basically just go start a fight with whatever can't kill you instantly or does not have a significant speed advantage by using an unarmed attack. Then do not use any wrestling or attacks, instead just repeatedly "j"ump the enemy until dead. This differs in hawkwrath in that it is NOT a finishing or engagement move and that you just hop around at walking speed and not get fatigued, so enemies fall unconscious first. All jump attacks  also have the bonus of not escalating combats when not jumping at high speed and this is a simple way of applying a jump.

Edit: Okay Max I revised it and I'll try some more escalation tests in the arena with other moves.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:58:11 am by Shellcore »
From what I remember, falling damage is modelled by the floor hitting YOU.  It is possible that if this is also done for wall collisions, that a dog bumping into the wall is modelled as being smacked in the face by a giant boulder.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2015, 07:06:08 am »

Interesting, I've noticed that anything which can survive a dragonfall and get up will generally be in no quarter mode, lots of stuff ends up knocked out, and unarmored elfs/dorfs/gobs die now and then as the slide across the ground.

For some reason I never thought to try going slower so they wouldn't try to brainstab me, you should edit that though: all jump attacks below maximum speed/4 tile jumps don't escalate combat levels.

Glatux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2015, 09:24:51 am »

It would be nice to have links to each technique on the first post to avoid having to go trough all the page to find an individual technique.

Shellcore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2015, 11:11:41 am »

Maybe Broseph can update the OP or someone can start compiling these onto a wiki page?
Haven't tested escalation yet, in case someone asks.
From what I remember, falling damage is modelled by the floor hitting YOU.  It is possible that if this is also done for wall collisions, that a dog bumping into the wall is modelled as being smacked in the face by a giant boulder.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37