Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?  (Read 29100 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?
« Reply #210 on: February 20, 2015, 05:34:18 pm »

...which goes back to the part about getting padded out to match the power inflation of high level PCs.

Or how about Frodo?  He's like 20 Dexterity tops (He actually is heroically agile so merits the full 18 + racial modifier which mandatory for PCs).  That means Frodo and the Balor have equal touch AC; it would be equally hard to hit the hulking giant as to hit the especially agile hobbit...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:46:35 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2015, 06:57:51 pm »

Basically, you're telling me that the Balrog must be a Balor because it's aesthetically similar, and backing that up by saying that it must be very high-CR because characters need to be high-level to fight it because it's very high-CR. There's no reason you can't run a high-level Tolkien game, provided you ban the right spells, but you there's equally no reason to assume anybody's level is higher than it needs to be in order to accomplish the things they do and have the qualities ascribed to them in the original narrative.

So, basically, I'm being a little facetious when I say "Gandalf was probably between level 5 and level 7". To be strictly accurate, I ought to have said, "Gandalf could have been between level 5 and level 7, and I think that power level suits the story better." But then we couldn't argue.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2015, 12:06:59 pm »

There's no reason you can't run a high-level Tolkien game, provided you ban the right spells

What spells would you leave in? :P
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2015, 12:45:17 pm »

Above level 2 spells, blasting spells and Dispel Magic. They're the only ones that scale in a way that permits high level to completely negate their increased power, and they're so terrible that all the wizards are going to fill their slots with low-level battlefield control, illusions, etc.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2015, 01:57:45 pm »

There's no reason you can't run a high-level Tolkien game, provided you ban the right spells

What spells would you leave in? :P

Well obviously Pyrotechnics, the Knock spell, Arcane Lock and nerfed Weather Control.
._.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2015, 12:41:09 pm »

Wow this topic got a little off track....... But intellectual discussion is better then anything. As i said before I like 5e, and It is fun when  i have a friend who knows so much about 3.5e, i love comparing what they changed. He is sad about some rules getting taken out but is get such enjoyment from others. Like learning you can kite people in 5e, so got 30ft attack, walk away 30 feet.

And i like how some of the prestige classes and other classes from 4e and 3.5e got turned in to archetypes and the such, so even if 3 people are monks they could all get different abilities based on what path they went down. The roleplaying ability in 5E is nice since it lets the dm play with stuff, and I like customizable-ness, oh and multiclassing is EASY.

Now all that is needed to have a broken build contest and see what shenanigans can be done
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 26, 2015, 12:45:00 pm »

Couldn't you kite people in 3.5 the same way? Or not, since in both they can just run to catch up to you?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:04 pm »

Couldn't you kite people in 3.5 the same way? Or not, since in both they can just run to catch up to you?

....Or use a charge attack

EDIT:
Also, you provoke an attack of opportunity when you move out of melee range
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:16:23 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 03, 2015, 01:47:34 pm »

Acutally no, in 3.5 you acutally need a feat to kite. From what i have been told, you can't spilt up your movments the same way. Like you can move to attak but you can't move attack then move again unless you get a feat. But in 5e you can Move, make action, and move if you haven't used up all your movement, and you can even move inbetween attack but that might be limited to a 5ft step.

I see this as an interesting difference from 3.5 to 5 and I am personally interested in learning more about the differences or the edits
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 03, 2015, 02:10:23 pm »

It's not limited to 5ft step, since 5 ft step isn't even a thing in 5e. You can break up your movement as much as you want, even between actions and individual attacks.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:15 pm »

That is true, but that won't let you kite in 5E. You'll still be taking opportunity attacks and you still won't be fast enough unless you're much faster then them (against a stupid opponent you gotta be at least ten feet faster, against a smart opponent you would need to be like, over three times faster then them.) You could use a reach weapon to avoid the attack of opportunity if you want, but they will still be attacking you again next round unless you're unrealistically faster then them.

Of course, you could use a ranged weapon. But you can do that in 3.5 as well.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 03, 2015, 02:42:18 pm »

Well, you can also use Disengage as a bonus action as a Rogue (thereby ignoring opportunity attacks). Monks can also spend a Ki point to do that, too.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 03, 2015, 03:26:50 pm »

You know what I personally think would improve D&D tactical combat? If Attacks of Opportunity were actually threatening at high levels. I've noticed that while there are feats to increase the amount of AoO you can do, there appears to be no way to actually make them deal level-appropriate damage, or have any interesting effects (which is a general problem with all D&D core fighting classes in general, though). Making AoO actually threatening would give fighters an ability to sort-of-tank people without explicitly forcing them to attack only him with quasi-magical taunts.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 03, 2015, 03:30:18 pm »

You know what I personally think would improve D&D tactical combat? If Attacks of Opportunity were actually threatening at high levels. I've noticed that while there are feats to increase the amount of AoO you can do, there appears to be no way to actually make them deal level-appropriate damage, or have any interesting effects (which is a general problem with all D&D core fighting classes in general, though). Making AoO actually threatening would give fighters an ability to sort-of-tank people without explicitly forcing them to attack only him with quasi-magical taunts.
Helpful for 3.5.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20