Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?  (Read 29097 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2015, 12:39:20 am »

snip

Or as someone put it along ago, Gandalf was a level 6 wizard.

Level 6 maybe, but also some kind of a celestial (IIRC he's either explicitly stated or strongly implied to be one of the maiar)

EDIT:
Which would make him proficient with non-exotic swords, as outsiders gain proficiency with all simple and martial weapons
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 12:45:14 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2015, 12:40:52 am »

He uses sword in cavalry charges in the books?  It's been like 10 years so excuse my poor memory.
The fact that he cavalry changes, with or without a sword, is a fact against him being a wizard. Wizards do not cavalry charge.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2015, 12:42:36 am »

Why not?  Considering the number of dudes who lead cavalry charges with nothing but a flag I think a wizard would be pretty damn useful.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2015, 12:49:55 am »

How about a Cleric? Combat training, powerful casting, generally divine/do-gooder temperament.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2015, 12:51:27 am »

How about a Cleric? Combat training, powerful casting, generally divine/do-gooder temperament.
But which god would he... oh wait, nevermind.

Though for a Cleric he's a pretty lousy healer. Aragorn is better than him, and he's a freaking Fighter!
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2015, 12:58:07 am »

Wouldn't Strider be a ranger?  He's the head kid of the rangers treefort after all.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2015, 12:58:25 am »

No, but seriously, Paladin 3/Bard 1. I'm completely serious. Look at those class features, tell me they're not dead-on. How many spells does he cast that aren't 0th level Bard spells? Pretty much just that time he sets fire to pine cones in the Hobbit, near as I can recall.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2015, 12:59:18 am »

No, but seriously, Paladin 3/Bard 1. I'm completely serious. Look at those class features, tell me they're not dead-on. How many spells does he cast that aren't 0th level Bard spells? Pretty much just that time he sets fire to pine cones in the Hobbit, near as I can recall.
There's also a semi-offscreen fight with all the Nazgul at once that was visible from a long distance...
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2015, 01:05:34 am »

He uses offensive magics to hit orcs/the balrog/nazgul.  Bards and Paladins dont have that (I'm thinking of 3.5 right now).
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2015, 01:10:56 am »

I'd wager the Nazgul are each 2nd or 3rd level warriors (of various actual base classes, with maybe 2 Sorcerer added on top for the Witch-King) that happened to get the Lich template imposed on them by their rings, despite not ordinarily qualifying. Many Bard spells are quite flashy, and if you're referring to what I think you are, he would've had Turn Undead by then by my estimate (jump to Paladin 5 after Balrog) - if he has one or more of the many items that boosts turn attempts, this could actually be fairly effective (and gel quite nicely with the flavor).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2015, 01:18:02 am »

He doesn't really seem to clearly fit any D&D paradigm. I guess Gary Gygax didn't really plagiarize that much after all.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2015, 01:28:10 am »

I think it's more about once you define things optimization starts shoving them into narrow roles.  Gandalf as a 6th level wizard or Bard1/Paly3 or whatever is capable of using a sword but he isn't optimized for it.  So after a while people think "oh he used a sword he can't be a wizard".
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2015, 02:08:24 am »

Since this seems to have become some sort of impromptu general D&D thread:
I don't know how many people keep up with this thread or are likely to watch it, but here is a video in which two DMs (one of whom is the creator of Dungeon World) talk about dungeon mastering.

This is the first part of the first installment of the series, in which they talk all about randomness, such as random rolls, random encounters, games that don't use randomness, critical hit tables, and embracing randomness. It's a very good discussion, and if you don't have time to watch it now, I encourage you to bookmark it for later.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2015, 03:10:15 am »

To me, as a player and as a GM, if you don't accept the dice as they roll you're letting your players down.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2015, 03:18:04 am »

Some days, the dice are cruel, and you want to give your players a break. Mostly because they'll complain about it afterwards if you don't.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20