Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20

Author Topic: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?  (Read 29069 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 05:18:28 am »

5e is the best edition without question

they've actually made feat, you know, FEATS, and not simple "+1 to hit with a specific weapon" bullshit that 3e has turned them into.
That's because you're not looking at splatbook feats. You can turn into a dragon and grow distended long arms with splatbook feats.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 10:44:17 am »

5e is the best edition without question

they've actually made feat, you know, FEATS, and not simple "+1 to hit with a specific weapon" bullshit that 3e has turned them into.
That's because you're not looking at splatbook feats. You can turn into a dragon and grow distended long arms with splatbook feats.

95% of feats are still quite boring. When you consider you have so few and have to spend them on normally useless shit to get into prestige classes, that can be a pretty big issue, especially if you just want to play a relatively simple game where you are not dumpster driving though 40 books to find the interesting stuff (or if you don't have the 40 books to drive though). I don't know much about 5E (As much I would love to test it out, none of the people I play with have any interest in it.) But if they made ALL feats as interesting as the small minority of good feats are in 3.5, I'd consider that a big step forward.

I'll take Tawarochirs response in a few parts.

I like 3.5 better partly because there's none of that "powers" nonsense (Heck, Tome of Battle was better. Powers sucked because everybody got them. Wizards didn't have spells, oh no, they had powers. Fighters got to hit people extra hard once a day for no real reason. It goes on and on

I actually like this, although the system itself is obviously inflexible, a flaw, and doesn't allow interesting out of battle actions, another flaw, at least it's interesting and fun to actually play. Like, I disagree that tome of battle was only good because they were the only ones with that system, the system was good, far better then what other melee classes use, and yes, it's limiting that that is the only option now, but it's a limit that I accept for all classes to actually be fun. Wizards having powers instead of spells just seems pedantic, and also untrue considering that wizard powers are spells.

4th acts like everybody's playing a dungeon-crawling sword & sorcery game where all the players are Stupid Good. They removed all the most interesting alignments. They didn't have rules for anything that broke from the norm--You have to be a murderhobo, because there's no house prices. You shouldn't be evil, because monsters are evil. You can't minmax at all beyond taking a race that boosts your primary stats. There's also the fact that the books act like you're using a published setting with premade adventure modules.

Except the minmax thing and the alignment thing, these all seem like fluff concerns that are not only pretty much very easily fixed just... By playing the game in some other way, but also issues that it shares with 3.5. Actually, I'd say the crossover between fluff and mechanics in 3.5 is far worse, at least in 4E it's ridiculous enough and omnipresent enough but ultimately generic enough that it's pretty much the default option to ignore it, unlike in 3.5 where so many interesting options are also intrinsically tied to some setting specific fluff element (or more rarely a setting specific mechanical aspect) that doesn't even exist in your game world, so you have to consider every time if you add it, disallow the option, or change the option.

You're right on the alignment that. That's stupid. (although pretty minor.)

The minmax thing you are right on as well, although that's the point, you are giving up customization in exchange for smoother and more interesting gameplay.

There's also terrible crap that makes it feel like an MMO or a fantasy movie or something--you add your level to your AC (and, if you're unarmored and smart enough, your Intelligence, of all things) for some absurd reason. Gandalf here never gets hit, not because he's dextrous or anything, but because he's killed a lot of monsters and he's smart. The check penalty for wearing full plate armor is a whopping -2, compared with your friggin' +7 AC. Everybody knows that just swimming training is enough to not only entirely offset the weight of fifty pounds of metal strapped to you, but to still come out with a bonus while you, say, swim up a waterfall or something. Wizards get like 20-some odd hit points at first freaking level, while longswords still deal 1d8 damage, which isn't even a third of their HP. All the races in the handbook have +2 to two stats, no minuses. It's not a tactics simulator, because you need to try if you're going to die.

Level is a direct measure of power and experience, it seems to make sense to me to add it to your ability to avoid damage, it also smooths out the issue in 3.5 where at low levels you can't be hit and at high levels (unless you stack of huge number of ways to get more AC) you can't avoid being hit. Clearly you've not watched those Sherlock Holmes movies to see how int can help you dodge things. Being able to swim in fullplate is silly, but you could do that in 3.5, and a bit of sillyness seems okay considering you are playing as medieval superheroes. Having a lot of health to start is actually a good thing, since it avoids the lower levels just being a game of rocket tag. How you fluff hits is up to you anyway. I don't see what your point is with races only getting bonuses, perhaps it's a bit less interesting, which is sorta fair, but it's not like it's a big deal ether way.

As for the game being too easy. It's funny, last time I argued with someone about 4E, his big issue seemed to be that 4E was too hard. And I'll tell you what I told him: Monster vs Party balance is solely within the realm of the GM. No matter what system you are using if the fights are impossibly hard or stupidly easy, that's because your GM is bad*. Both in the published adventures I've played and in homebrewed content I've made and played for fourth edition, the balance was fine, and frankly I've found it easier to balance then 3.5

*Well, that's not the only choice, if the players are doing stupid things that they shouldn't (such as that story someone just mentioned of them attacking a big tentacle god monster thing), or if the GM is doing the "living world" thing where the world is mostly made already and the players are going to the 'wrong' areas, the balance can suffer there as well. But if it's consistent it's almost certainly the GMs fault. Another option is that the system is just totally broken, and it's impossible to deal with.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 11:11:47 am »

Firstly this probably better off in the Tabletop games thread, yeah.
... BUT THE MAN CAN'T KEEP US DOWN.

So I wanna hear all this "Rah Rah" about people RP'ing as kids.
'Cos I have previously played a 30yo Aasimar (14~) as a Stupid Good Cleric and it was an absolute blast.
Meanwhile I don't understand people that play as people of opposite gender. It breaks all immersion to hear the neighbourhood dude trying to go all falsetto- or worse, not.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 11:13:28 am »

Seriously, try Dungeon World. Dungeon World is what I would've been happy with 5e to be. It's fast, it's semi-narrative, it's FUN to play.

It's just everything 5e should've been.
I've taken a look at the Dungeon World SRD, and, ignoring the fact that it set off my antivirus, I don't think it's for me. It feels too simple, like 13th Age. I like 5e. I think it's FUN to play. I like it because it's still D&D. The baggage you hate, I like. Which is wierd, since you love Pathfinder, and 95% of the baggage of D&D is in Pathfinder.

95% of feats are still quite boring. When you consider you have so few and have to spend them on normally useless shit to get into prestige classes, that can be a pretty big issue, especially if you just want to play a relatively simple game where you are not dumpster driving though 40 books to find the interesting stuff (or if you don't have the 40 books to drive though). I don't know much about 5E (As much I would love to test it out, none of the people I play with have any interest in it.) But if they made ALL feats as interesting as the small minority of good feats are in 3.5, I'd consider that a big step forward.
90% of 5e's feats are cool. Some are rather boring and are only worth skipping out on the ability score increase because they give half the increase anyway. The cool ones are not the REALLY cool ones from 3.5, they're just solid improvements to your abilities. Nothing super flashy, just stuff that makes you better at doing the important stuff.

Meanwhile I don't understand people that play as people of opposite gender. It breaks all immersion to hear the neighbourhood dude trying to go all falsetto- or worse, not.
Whenever I do voices, people laugh at/with me if I'm the GM or look at me wierd if I'm just a player.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 11:39:56 am »

Want to play a character from the Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra universe? There's a sub-class for that (Monk, Way of the Four Elements).
Hello, 5th! I'd like to get to know you better.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 12:47:57 pm »

Firstly this probably better off in the Tabletop games thread, yeah.
... BUT THE MAN CAN'T KEEP US DOWN.

So I wanna hear all this "Rah Rah" about people RP'ing as kids.
'Cos I have previously played a 30yo Aasimar (14~) as a Stupid Good Cleric and it was an absolute blast.

I generally tend to make characters in their late teens to late twenties... pretty much solely because if you're starting at first level you'd sort of wonder what the hell that guy has been doing with his life that he's a) a player class and b) still only 1st level when he's middle aged. It's fridge logic that'll drive me crazy if I don't work around it. Playing children tends to get bad rep, if we're going to be honest, because a lot of people are either fucking creepy about it or can't RP it to save their lives -- either they come off as being too mature for their age and are basically yet-another-faceless-murderhobo, or they're played too accurately and are fucking obnoxious little shits, or... The closest I've made to a child-like character was my Petal Warlock for Tawa's Epic campaign that never got off the ground, and I don't even know if that counts because their fluff pegs adulthood at 2yo and she was 14.

IDK about anyone else, but I tend to rotate most things about my characters; I generally will alternate between male and female and around different sorts of playstyles as I make new characters, just to spice things up. Though obviously doing voices is sorta weird unless you're the DM or have a talent for it. Part of it is honestly a desire to avoid the lazy trend of making every character in such a way that they can easily become too similar to my own personality and mindset (it also helps to mostly play online, of course, so that pitch doesn't play into voice). Yeah, a dude playing a female character can be sort of disconcerting even if he isn't a heavy breather from some Bad Group From Hell story, but it's honestly still better than that guy whose characters are just straight self-inserts every time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 12:57:56 pm »

Most of my characters have been dudes, but mostly because there's something about many of my characters that makes them more suited to being guys. Probably something to do with the fact that I've played a lot of sorcerers and wizards and that really old guys have this kind of feel to them that really old women don't.

And maybe just to spite the fact that the PHB insistently refers to half the character classes I prefer with female pronouns.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2015, 01:11:07 pm »

I like to play the female bisexual rogue so I can use that against nobles etc, especialy if its a political quest.
Then I steal all the goods they usualy have.
Another character I had. Infact my second ever character I made when I was 14 and he was 10, a rogue. My first ever being a paladin who died by mounted lance crit on a day I wasnt at school (thanks mr burrows) the rogue was so fun to play. I was really good at hiding, and after being impatient of everyone staying in the dungeon rooms too long I would run through the dungeons, much to my suprise I got knocked unconsious away from the team.
He was great as a rp character. I retired him and think about his adventures and what he would be doing now every now and then.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 01:38:05 pm »

So to answer the original question.
Paladins suck. You cant do anything fun.
All your gold is spent on armor, items, weapons and charity, the team openly hates you because you think your god loves you. You arnt as good a fighter as a barbarian or fighter, not as good at divine spell casting as a cleric or druid. Wow you get a magical holy mount... and the bard usually gets better mounts.
You live by a silly credo and arnt alowed to stab the fucking annoying quest giver in the throat after he gives you less than the original amount of gold.
The only paladin worthy feature is blackguard. And they are best after lvl 11 paladin.
So you are forced to roleplay a holy warrior loser until then.

Actually My team doesn't hate me and i overly enjoy stabing my enimies, so does my guy.

And acutally in my current party we have a halfing rouge, a human monk, a elf wizard, and human warmage(which is my queen sister), an elf ranger and few other character time to time. I am the tankiest of hte group and they kind of need me haha.

I get great roleplaying since i don't go super religions, ecept when i need divine intervention

in other stuff, I love 5e only because it is the one i have read the most about and due to how new it is, i don't feel as much as a noob going in to it not having expansive knowledge on the other editions and the amount of roleplying you get from 5E is nice since you have flaws and ideas and bounds and backgrounds which can help the roleplaying. I play 3.5 since it is avalible, and i just reread the 5e hand book from time to time to enjoy it
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2015, 02:02:47 pm »

My 3.5 group just ended, do you guys have any suggestions on a d20 fantasy game system to play,

Call of Cthulhu d20
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2015, 02:15:05 pm »

My 3.5 group just ended, do you guys have any suggestions on a d20 fantasy game system to play,

Call of Cthulhu d20
With Suggsverse as an optional supplement.
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »

Ulp that spelling.
Where'd this guy wash up from, polandball?

Following the topic of RP'ing crossgender and kids, I haven't actually played a female in any game, in my life. Which is more a personal choice which somehow along the way became an awesome streak which I'm loathe to break.
But I'll admit the only time I've ever played a kid is, again, a joke character. (For those who don't, "Stupid Good" is interpreted in my area as "unaware/blind to the idea that evil can exist in the world".

I love playing my Stupids.

In other, other news:
Call of Cthulhu is beast.
Play by candlelight.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 02:44:55 pm »

I mostly play men because I feel more comfortable writing a man; I don't want to write a woman wrong/badly. I'm starting to play more though.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 04:12:46 pm »

Spoiler: Ranty (click to show/hide)
I'm not going to argue anymore, because there's no way either of us is giving up our stances, from what it seems.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2015, 04:42:32 pm »

I really want to be a player in an ACKS campaign. :(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20