Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?  (Read 29058 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas for some shenanigans a Paladin in 3.5?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 11:48:41 pm »

We are derailing, you know.

I like 3.5 better partly because there's none of that "powers" nonsense (Heck, Tome of Battle was better. Powers sucked because everybody got them. Wizards didn't have spells, oh no, they had powers. Fighters got to hit people extra hard once a day for no real reason. It goes on and on,) but also because it has more room for variety. 4th acts like everybody's playing a dungeon-crawling sword & sorcery game where all the players are Stupid Good. They removed all the most interesting alignments. They didn't have rules for anything that broke from the norm--You have to be a murderhobo, because there's no house prices. You shouldn't be evil, because monsters are evil. You can't minmax at all beyond taking a race that boosts your primary stats. There's also the fact that the books act like you're using a published setting with premade adventure modules. There's also terrible crap that makes it feel like an MMO or a fantasy movie or something--you add your level to your AC (and, if you're unarmored and smart enough, your Intelligence, of all things) for some absurd reason. Gandalf here never gets hit, not because he's dextrous or anything, but because he's killed a lot of monsters and he's smart. The check penalty for wearing full plate armor is a whopping -2, compared with your friggin' +7 AC. Everybody knows that just swimming training is enough to not only entirely offset the weight of fifty pounds of metal strapped to you, but to still come out with a bonus while you, say, swim up a waterfall or something. Wizards get like 20-some odd hit points at first freaking level, while longswords still deal 1d8 damage, which isn't even a third of their HP. All the races in the handbook have +2 to two stats, no minuses. It's not a tactics simulator, because you need to try if you're going to die.

There's also crap like "DURR... CLANG!".
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 11:54:52 pm »

I like 5e. It's a nice balance between the two. There's plenty of customization, but not so much that it is overwhelming. For example, I could make a Wizard specializing in Abjuration, and fluff them as Iron Man. It's hard to abuse, because you're not rolling at stupidly high modifiers, you're rolling dice twice. The spell selection gives the 3.5ers more than enough options to Magic Jar, Demiplane or Reverse Gravity. Those who want some big and flashy spells have more than enough options; Inflict Wounds, a first level spell, does 3d10, which feels amazing to roll. Feats are optional, so that's 75% of the abuse taken out. Synergy is still a problem, but not as much of one. With higher HP counts, it hurts less when the healer misses a session, and everyone can regain HP from a ten minute rest. Roleplaying is encouraged by the background system, so it's harder to ignore.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 11:56:34 pm »

I like most of 5e as well, but I'm going to stick with 3.5 until there are sufficient splatbooks for the former.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2015, 12:03:56 am »

5E is pretty nice from what I've seen. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play it properly yet. Hopefully their splatbooks add loads of overwhelming customisation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2015, 12:11:01 am »

So to answer the original question.
Paladins suck. You cant do anything fun.
All your gold is spent on armor, items, weapons and charity, the team openly hates you because you think your god loves you. You arnt as good a fighter as a barbarian or fighter, not as good at divine spell casting as a cleric or druid. Wow you get a magical holy mount... and the bard usually gets better mounts.
You live by a silly credo and arnt alowed to stab the fucking annoying quest giver in the throat after he gives you less than the original amount of gold.
The only paladin worthy feature is blackguard. And they are best after lvl 11 paladin.
So you are forced to roleplay a holy warrior loser until then.
You want to play a fighter that casts divine spells go cleric with a netural god of war that uses a greatsword.
Yes ive done it, yes its op, yes I play the evil/chaotic gtfomw character.

Thank you for your time
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2015, 12:18:09 am »

...everyone can regain HP from a ten minute rest.
G'bye, 5e. I hardly didn't know ye. :P

5e doesn't seem too bad, from what I've heard. 1d4chan seems positive enough on the matter for me, so I might try it sometime if I can be bothered to pick up some of the books, but otherwise I think I'll stick to 3.5.

Also, to comment on my prior post:
Quote from: 12-Year-Old Dick Greyson, Age 12
Holy rants, Batman!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2015, 12:21:13 am »

We are derailing, you know.

It's called a conversation
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2015, 12:28:08 am »

I'm not sure what other splatbooks are left for 5e. They've the MM, the DMG and the PHB, which 12 classes, with 40 unique subclasses between them, along with 9 races and 7 subraces. Sadly, the MM did not include rules for playing more races, but that's because that's in the DMG.
I suppose we could be getting a Psionics Handbook, but I doubt it. I suspect the next books will be a mix of setting specific stuff, like Greyhawk, Eberron and Forgotten Realms, with some Underdark, Feywild and Planar content mixed, instead of what we saw with 3.5.
Hopefully their splatbooks add loads of overwhelming customisation.
This sounds horrible, actually. I feel that 5e doesn't need that and would be worse off with the option, because it would create a divide between the players who do and those who don't.
...everyone can regain HP from a ten minute rest.
G'bye, 5e. I hardly didn't know ye. :P
I can't tell if you're seriously dismissing 5e because of the short/long rest system, which I thought was the best part of 5e. It split up the combat, and provided a nice gamble with the action point system.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2015, 12:36:31 am »

So to answer the original question.
Paladins suck. You cant do anything fun.

They can carry a sidearm.

(Check out Dragon Magazine #306 page 98.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:40:40 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2015, 12:43:10 am »

As someone who played 4E for about 3 years before 5th came out, I have to say, it's not a bad game. It is, however, a very combat-focused game. You can roleplay in it just as well as any other game, but, when your character sheet accumulates several pages-worth of different ways you can do damage to things as you level, you'll feel some obligation to spend most of your time in combat. And, since 4e was so good at giving DMs tools to make level-appropriate challenges, 4E characters pretty much never back down from a fight (I recall a particular example of a Penny Arcade D&D podcast where they were playing Dark Sun and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I actually wouldn't mind a game like 4E that had a lot more non-combat powers mixed in with all the combat (and, personally, I'd like not to have to deal with combat positioning). It was kinda fun being able to pick out a new power pretty much every time we leveled-up, though the fact that almost all the powers had to do with killing dudes and there where only a few powers that worked for any specific build kind of killed a lot of the enjoyment for me.

And I will agree with Cryptfiend that the roles really helped with synergy, though we never found much use for Controllers; since attendance could be sporadic and we didn't always know who would be there, we preferred to double up on Strikers and have a Leader and Defender and Off-Leader (Ranger, Rogue, Cleric, Paladin, and Bard) for our longest-running game, with a few extras added in or replacing them on occasion.

EDIT: And it seems there's now talk of 5e. To kind of bring things sort of back on topic, I will say that I've heard 5e paladins are pretty beastly. The only reason I'm not playing one now is because, roleplaying-wise, they kind of have to be devoted to some kind of higher purpose, if not by explicit rules then at least by tradition (I could probably think of a way to make this work for me eventually, but for now I'm having a lot of fun playing my merchant barbarian).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2015, 12:52:07 am »

I'm not sure what other splatbooks are left for 5e. They've the MM, the DMG and the PHB, which 12 classes, with 40 unique subclasses between them, along with 9 races and 7 subraces. Sadly, the MM did not include rules for playing more races, but that's because that's in the DMG.
I suppose we could be getting a Psionics Handbook, but I doubt it. I suspect the next books will be a mix of setting specific stuff, like Greyhawk, Eberron and Forgotten Realms, with some Underdark, Feywild and Planar content mixed, instead of what we saw with 3.5.
Hopefully their splatbooks add loads of overwhelming customisation.
This sounds horrible, actually. I feel that 5e doesn't need that and would be worse off with the option, because it would create a divide between the players who do and those who don't.
WotC look to be doing a better job of consolidating a lot of the important stuff in a handful of core books, which means that splatbooks will probably be mostly for setting-specific things and additional spells/ACFs/whatever, the sort of thing that almost nobody will feel bad about copying out of someone else's book for a campaign. Granted, what they should do is wait a bit, then cram every last extra little feature they can think of into a single book, not least (from the perspective of Wizards) because that discourages the casual piracy that comes of "Lol, you expect me to buy a $40 book for five lines of text?"

What you're citing as an issue is bad, but a nice part of 3.5e was the sheer level of customization you could get into. It makes it easy to make more diverse builds from a given number of potential classes, which is the philosophy I'd rather they pursue (as opposed to 4e's 'every class will do the same thing in the same ways with different fluff').

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2015, 12:59:10 am »

I should clarify that I want mechanical customisation - as in, a character that is played differently because the class features are mechanically different. Fluff and such is for the player/DM to decide on.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 01:03:29 am »

... so homebrew?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 01:09:19 am »

Usually. It's nice to have it already done for you, though :P.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 01:11:47 am »

My favourite character in 3.5 i made was a wizard. I decided to let a player DM for a while.
I never play as wizard but i had been reading the book of vile darkness and a build came into my mind. It was an obsese wizard called pavo, he ritualisticly cut and scarred himself, would eat anything and had a constitution of 19 about 29 hp at lvl3 had the spell spider climb just to move over simple obstacles.
I roleplayed him hardcore. Doing a grunting voice and I would sound puffed all the time. he had a cute little rat called scab and that little guy was really clean looking and cute, to balance the obese jaundice poxridden pus filled guy. We drew pictures of our chars and he was balding but still had long strands of hair and the hair above the side burns was down to his shoulders. He was really fun to play, I taunted a troll by saying Id eat him and his **** i let it rot in my pocket and one day around the camp fire I bring it out and decribe the rotting troll junk, the whole table cringed and I cracked up laughing. Chopped it up and stewed it.
Ahhh good times, and yes I made the fortitude save.

On that note im hungry
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20