Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Alchemech Reloaded! Alchemypunk RPG Interest Check and Test Fight  (Read 12929 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemech Reloaded! Alchemypunk RPG Interest Check and Test Fight
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2015, 02:45:34 pm »

A Range skill would be good. More points in that, further they can spread effects.

Also maybe an Area skill for AoE rather then targeted.

A boost to starting points and points gained during leveling prolly would offset the fragility also.

Currently alchemists can only be deadly at super short range and towards specific targets. Due to their lack of armorment and weaponry, they're technically worse then a standard grunt soldier since those guys get range and armor and an increase in deadliness from guns.

I like the range and AoE stats, and will have to think about how to implement them properly to see if they even work. Right now, some attacks are kinda-sorta assumed to have an AoE such as explosions and the Gas-based attacks Deegan uses, but I don't really have any stats for those and should probably get the mechanics down for them. Things like group healing would also be interesting and useful, Ill think on it.

The fragility is both semi-intentional and not meant to be a big problem. The "Alchemical Armor" stat was meant to help them with their fragility issues, though it has to be cast it will protect you pretty well if it is high enough.

Same as the small distance-semi-intentional. They aren't meant to act as artillery, there designed to act at medium to short range. The armor is supposed to help you get a bit closer, while classes like Officer are designed to fight at longer ranges. I don't think it is necessary to give them any more points then the other classes.

I also never thought Alchemists would be this popular when designing them  :-\. I forgot to even add a "Special" stat that pretty much every other group has, and really should add it for next version. While I am fine with making the Alchemists a bit more powerful, I don't want them to be the most powerful class either. I still haven't done a full test fight yet, so it is hard to say who is definitively stronger. I really do need to rewrite the Alchemist though, I have some time today and will be able to work on it a bit. I will still need more information about how everything works right now before I try to fix anything.

If I missed anyone who wants to fight, please bring it up!
*Throws gauntlet*

*DOH* I am an idiot for missing something so obviose. So....Anyone want to fight Remuthra? Kevak maybe?

Transmute air above them into giant block of metal. That's a thing I can do, right?

If the air was particularly high in metal for some reason, and he stood still for a few hours. Sorry! Can't have gravity win all fights ever.

...You can make a small metal block, though. Since it is your weapon.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:47:20 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:19 pm »

Drop a small metal block on Kyle Johnson's head, then. Hopefully it'll knock him out.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2015, 02:48:36 pm »

Well. It wouldn't be much metal. Equivalent exchange. You'd get almost no metal for the air.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2015, 02:49:42 pm »

Regarding the Alchemist, perhaps the solution is to assign a guard to accompany the character (possibly junior alchemists, or just grunts) and shield them a bit? Sort of makes sense that you wouldn't leave your important agents unprotected.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »

Drop a small metal block on Kyle Johnson's head, then. Hopefully it'll knock him out.

This is kind of relevant, because I really need to stop accepting stuff late at night, but which one was your anti-mech weapon and which was your anti-infantry? Or where they both one or the other?

Well. It wouldn't be much metal. Equivalent exchange. You'd get almost no metal for the air.

It will not be much metal. There isn't a lot of metal in the air, unless you count all the bullets flying at you. And you really can't transmute those fast enough.

Regarding the Alchemist, perhaps the solution is to assign a guard to accompany the character (possibly junior alchemists, or just grunts) and shield them a bit? Sort of makes sense that you wouldn't leave your important agents unprotected.

I don't know, it kind of makes them feel too much like the Officer. Having subordinates is kinda his shtick. I still firmly believe that Alchemical Armor removes enough of their squishyness!

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2015, 02:57:44 pm »

Metal is anti-infantry, liquids is anti-mech.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:05 pm »

Alchemical armor doesn't really help though.

Takes points, doesn't last too long when used, and provides minimal defense compared to body armor and fire everywhere.

Simply don't let them attack first.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2015, 03:12:47 pm »

Metal is anti-infantry, liquids is anti-mech.

Also, The Froggy Ninja, want to fight Remuthra?

Alright. Time to continue with the fight then!

Kyle in his men swiftly and expertly rush to cover, hiding behind trees, in ditches, or behind a large boulder. The two men with machine guns fire off suppressing fire as the others rush to cover in an impressive display of team work. Everything goes impressively, everyone manages to get behind good cover quickly and easily. Meanwhile, Ciel stands in the middle of the road, unfortunately being pinned down and distracted by all those machine gun bullets coming at him. Even with this, he manages to cast a spell, aiming directly at the enemy officer! A half-a-fist sized ball of metal appears a few feet of Kyle's head. Kyle sees the shiny white metal above him and makes steps to move, but is almost too late to escape. Fortunately, his faithful Alreona pushes him out of the way right in the nick of time, avoiding damage for either of them. Kyle returns some potshots at the end of the turn, though none get anywhere close to the enemy alchemist.

Alchemical armor doesn't really help though.

Takes points, doesn't last too long when used, and provides minimal defense compared to body armor and fire everywhere.

Simply don't let them attack first.

Alchemical armor is more effective than body armor, in fact it is about 1/2 as effective as mech armor of the same rating, but doesn't have the same bonus against AM weapons. It is on par with tank armor if it has enough points in it, and it will last at least a decent amount of time if you have good Duration.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2015, 03:14:43 pm »

Get behind cover, hopefully somewhere a soldier can't shoot me from. Proceed to make a sword out of the ground I'm standing on. Of steel, pls.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2015, 03:21:12 pm »

"Everyone not keeping him down push forward and surround him!"
Kyle starts pushing forward as well, using cover to... cover himself.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2015, 03:29:09 pm »

Yeah sure.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2015, 03:33:57 pm »

Ciel finally realizes attracting fire from 27 people is a bad idea, and proceeds to rush for some cover. He successfully hides behind a big rock, where he proceeds to transmute a sword. While he manages to pull enough iron and carbon out of the ground and combine them together, he messed up on the shaping portion, making a roughly sword shaped lump of blunt metal. He should be able to fix this problem relatively easily given more time.

Meanwhile, the soldiers swiftly spread out, moving from tree to tree keeping cover between them and the enemy. They do much better, and actually successfully manage to surround him in a large circle. The Machine gunners continue to put fire toward where they think Ciel's cover is, though he mostly stays down for his sword and seems rather unaffected by it all. The circle is currently too large to effectively hit Ciel from any angle, as the thick trees block any good shot they might have.

(Things are lookin' bad for Ciel, if you ask me.)

Jack Cornelius gets angry after Gilbert Greyheart steals his beer for use in a fire-based experiment! They proceed to find themselves in an old battlefield, filled with craters and trenches, where they are now facing off against each other.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2015, 03:40:42 pm »

"Try to burn my beer, will you? You know how hard that is to find?"

Reroute all power from fusion cutters and scrambler system to engines. Skitter quickly into the trenches and craters, keeping a safe distance while breaking line of sight. Advance to good flanking position if possible.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2015, 03:41:35 pm »

A question. If I were to try to change the ground into metal and do things with it, what is my approx. range if looking to do it quickly?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2015, 03:45:48 pm »

A question. If I were to try to change the ground into metal and do things with it, what is my approx. range if looking to do it quickly?

Depends on what, and how thick. I prefer to keep things like that more abstract. What do you plan on doing?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9