Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Alchemech Reloaded! Alchemypunk RPG Interest Check and Test Fight  (Read 12878 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

I shall you tell with plain declaration
Where, how, and what is my generation

*See bottom of post for updates*

Alchemist, some of the worlds first scientists. It is said that in our world, they invented many useful things, from gunpowder and hermetic sealing to Calculus. In this world, they did much, much more.

After discovering Aristotle's folly of the four elements, Alchemy was truly able to shine. Once true hermetic principles and every element on the periodic table was discovered, a kind of Alchemical renaissance formed. Even by the middle ages, fields where fed with Green Revelation technology, as well as being planted into symbols, causing a massive burst in the amount of food in the world. The New World was discovered by Alchemy-powered ships, increasing the amount of available land as well. Many of the wonders we have in the modern world where invented in the span of years, alchemy computers with powerful symbols as keys, cars, helicopters, medicine... the list goes on and on.

Of course, none of this stopped humanity from fighting. While cities popped up and the industrial power increased enough that sky scrappers became common, roads between cities where not. Especially to enemy cities. Without any better wheel or tread technology, the alchemists decided to go with a more obvious route: basing war machines of of humans and other animals. Humans, horses, dogs, the list is limitless. Powered and protected by modern alchemy, the Alchemecs often dominate the battle field, with only other Alchemecs or highly skilled and specialized infantry standing in their way.

Advancement went on for years, with no sign of stagnation. The nations that exist now are much different than the ones in our world, simply by how things turned out. You where born well after the "Alchemical Renaissance", living in a strange world almost mirror to our own, where alchemy is the real king. The nation you live in, Hermes Trismegistus, has been at war with neighboring Ostanes for years, in a fight that may very well shape the earth.

--------------------------

In Alchemech, you have four choices for a class:

Alchamech Pilot: Of course, the guys who drive the titular "Alchemechs". Normal humans, often with good reflexes and aim if they want to live long, who drive magical war machines. These machines can range from just larger than a man to the size of real-life battle ships. This usually requires some training on what symbol does what, which only takes a few months. They often bond with a single machine their entire carrier, upgrading it as necessary, due to the habit of machine forming "Homunculus" AI-like intelligence from poorly understood integrations between man and machine.

Alchemist: A combination of chemist and magician, the lifeblood of the world. After studying for years in a collage, you have learned how the world works and are able to change it with simple drawings and orders. As a military alchemist, you serve a role somewhere between combat engineer and ground-infantry, using your knowlage to help build defense, repair things, and destroy the enemy. Some alchemist choose one focus, such as destroying things, and generally choose to focus even more on that, such as "Destroying things with fire".

Officer: A normal human, who doesn't pile a mech or use magic. Instead, you used your time to advance through the ranks, either through an ROTC like program, through field experience, or by paying your way. This gives you something just as powerful: Authority. Officers command a small group of loyal infantry troops from the start, and have sway over overall military strategy, capable of directing the fire of Alchemecs and alchemists. It is typical for someone, on obtaining the rank of officer, be given a Alreona type Homunculus using their own DNA as a base. Alreona Homunculus are flask-born "sons" or "daughters" of the officer, bonded like a machine. They are the most loyal soldier, fanatically so, who act almost as humans do and very from appearance from a young child to grey-haired in age, giving the officer at least a chance in one-on-one fights.

Purified: It is often said the goal of Alchemy was to purify the body and soul. You got the body part down. The Purified are alchemically augment super soldiers. This can take many forms. Some have special tattoos or symbols that glow when activated, filling them with strength or energy. Others where horribly injured, having to replace their own flesh with specially made flask-flesh or Alchamechanical parts. Others where simply born this way, like Alreona type homunculus or even a achemicanicle butler with a particularly impressive hurmonculus of its own. They are often sent to combat alone with their weapon of choice and plenty of ammunition, they are often able to take an Alchmech in single combat. Some particularly strong ones can bisect an Alchemech with a single blow of a sword or axe, others simply pump high-caliber lead into the cockpit at point-blank range.

All right. Two suggestions so far for d100, I guess I will just go with that. Each class has their own character sheet, showing their own skills.

Alchemech Pilot:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alchemist:

Officer:

Purified

Sooooo tired. One more thing, I forgot but was reminded. Pleas put your Back story! Below your name and above your inventory. Doesn't have to be long, but it is nice to know who and what your character is.

I kind of got tired during the last bit, I didn't think it would take this long to write up the rules and character sheets. I think I got a little lazy with Purified especially, and might require a total conversion tomorrow if it doesn't please me. Don't let that stop you from making a character! My edits won't change anything too major, your general ideas should still fit just fine. Ill start posting tomorrow, thank you everyone for being patient with me. I didn't even reread the last one as I finished, so it is probably filled with typos as well.

*****Bottom of Post******

Some of you may remember Alchemech from September. It was a game that I thought had a good idea, and others seem interested in, but I had unfortunately been overtaken by school work in that time. I still have plenty of ideas I would like to use in this game, and still like the concept, though I thought I would try bringing it back in Version II: RELOADED! The above is a more-or-less quote that I started rewriting but stopped after very few cosmetic changes.

So, if interested in playing either again or for the first time, please post! If you are interested, I am having test-fights between players and NPCs on this thread to help me iron out the mechanics. Last time, I wrote the mechanics in a single sitting without testing or giving too much thought to how it might work out. If you feel like playing, feel free to make a character sheet now. You probably won't play in parties, but it might be interesting to see everyone else's concepts. If you are interested in testing, either against other Players or NPCs, please just say so and we can start the bare-bones without too much fluffy description fights!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 03:53:25 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemech Reloaded! Alchemypunk RPG Interest Check and Test Fight
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 04:10:04 pm »

I'm interested.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »

Is this multiplayer? If so, I'm interested.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 04:25:47 pm »

Is this multiplayer? If so, I'm interested.

"Multiplayer" as in there are multiple people playing. Generally, I like everyone to follow their own story. It lets me be more flexible with a lot of things, such as when to post. If anyone wants to form a party, it is allowed if both players consent to it. Here is a link to the first game to see what I mean.

I am re-writing a lot of the rules now, so if anyone has any comments on how they believe this game should go/be played, now would be a good time to give them.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:33 pm »

How does: Players technically can party up, but not required and probably won't sound?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »

Sounds like what I was trying to say, but in better words. And more clear. With less commas.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »

Going to see if I can make a character sheet soon-ish.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:03:53 pm by Pencil_Art »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:58:36 pm »

Size: How many men are in your squad. Size 0 means they where wiped out, with just you left, while size 25 is the standard with twenty five men under your command. I hope I am not too tired and didn't completely make this broken.

You could have 200 noob squaddies that can't do anything at all.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

I may be interested. We'll see.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 05:33:26 pm »

I haven't had a chance to look over the rules yet and am terrible at spotting differences so I would like to know if I can just reuse my old character sheet?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 06:52:27 pm »

What kinds of weapons will we be using? Realistic or magical or both?

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 07:10:50 pm »

Back and IN
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:29:24 pm by MrVoid »
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36:23 pm »

That is fine, though 1. What do you mean by spider model mech parasites? And 2. I don't feel that Railguns, Gausguns, or other electric based weaponry really fits the setting. While they do know what electricity is on a subatomic level, they don't really see much use for it and most guns are propellent based. You can keep it, I just can complain about it.

Do you want to volunteer for Test Fights?

Size: How many men are in your squad. Size 0 means they where wiped out, with just you left, while size 25 is the standard with twenty five men under your command. I hope I am not too tired and didn't completely make this broken.

You could have 200 noob squaddies that can't do anything at all.

Yep! One of the goals in creating the Commander class was to have something to pad both sides of the army. If you are mowing down mooks, chances are that they are part of an NPC Commander's squad/platoon/company. I thought about changing it to be more abstract, but thought it would be useful to keep track of how many combatants there are.

I haven't had a chance to look over the rules yet and am terrible at spotting differences so I would like to know if I can just reuse my old character sheet?

You can just use your old character sheet, no rules have changed yet.

What kinds of weapons will we be using? Realistic or magical or both?

Most weapons are realistic, with guns, explosives, and other weapons you would expect to find on the battle field. Some people (usually Purified) use boosted swords, and the Caster pistol allows Alchemists to fire "magic" bullets, some Mech weaponry can be considered magical as well. If I can remember my own setting right  :P.

Back and IN

Welcome back! Do you want to volunteer for test-fights?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 07:40:31 pm »

I volunteer. The idea I had for the parasite was that it would attach itself to an opposing mech and deal some damage every turn.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 07:44:58 pm »

I volunteer. The idea I had for the parasite was that it would attach itself to an opposing mech and deal some damage every turn.

Alright, that is fine. Ill calculate it as a anti-mech only weapon, how are they deployed?

Ill probably have you fight another player if someone volunteers, because that is more fun. If nobody does for a while, Ill set you up against an NPC or make a character for you to fight.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9