Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71

Author Topic: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots  (Read 86202 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots
« Reply #885 on: February 11, 2015, 08:33:05 pm »

NUmbah 1!
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 11, 2015, 08:35:00 pm »

1!

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 11, 2015, 08:57:16 pm »

1 seems pretty good
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: February 11, 2015, 09:13:45 pm »

"Palm trees," you tell Caliban.

"Palm trees!" he says. He speaks in…

1) …a monotone, like a classic robot.
2) …a sequence of autotuned notes, like human speech but more musical.
3) …a nasal, excitable voice, like a hyperactive munchkin with a cold.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:14 pm »

I think 2 was good for us last time.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 11, 2015, 09:26:13 pm »

I can go with 2
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #891 on: February 11, 2015, 09:27:36 pm »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 11, 2015, 09:34:20 pm »

2. ^_^

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 11, 2015, 09:47:09 pm »

Caliban speaks with each syllable on a different note of a major scale, rising or falling in thirds and fifths when asking a question, expressing doubt, or providing a contrast. The lilting result sounds pleasant and a little otherworldly. (+Grace)

Caliban turns his attention to the sky.

"White palm trees?" he asks.

"Clouds," you say.

"Clouds!" Caliban says.

You think your word-learning code is working. Caliban is learning to associate words with things. Of course, Caliban might currently believe that most things are either clouds or palm trees but that's better than thinking everything is a palm tree.

Eiji smiles encouragingly but you get the feeling he would have liked to talk to you on this walk, and Caliban is sort of dominating the conversation. You briefly wonder if this is what it's like between parents of a newborn.

Caliban turns his attention to the sun. Blinded, he panics and flails his Inspector Gadget arms.

"Hey, look away," you say, guiding his head. "Don't look right at the sun."

He relents to your touch. (+Empathy)

"I never thought of you as…parental before," Eiji says.

You shrug. "Learning mechanisms need feedback," you say, and Eiji gives you a funny look in response.

The science mentoring program is a little rowdy when you get to the library's activity room, and the young librarian who had been stuck with babysitting until you and Eiji got there is grateful for the relief.

Eiji manages to calm the kids down long enough for a brief lesson on botany, showing the kids the plant project he'd been working on. But the kids keep looking at and asking about Caliban.

Are you going to let Caliban play with the kids?

1) Hell, no! They are going to tear him apart. I'll just have Caliban do a demo at the front of the class.
2) Sure, I'll let him play with them. He's strong enough.
3) I'll try to turn it around and have the kids teach Caliban about science.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #894 on: February 11, 2015, 09:57:35 pm »

3!

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:35 pm »

3 3 3 3!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:41 pm »

3, of course.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 11, 2015, 11:07:21 pm »

"I have an idea," you say. "Why don't all of you try teaching Caliban something about science? Caliban is trying to learn everything he can about the world right now."

You find that you have enough charisma in you to convince the students that this is a good idea, and Eiji runs with your brilliant idea. Soon, the students are explaining to Caliban all kinds of scientific facts, and the robot's questions make them think about things they take for granted.

"What is a cloud?" asks Caliban, apparently inspired by the walk.

Many of the students look at each other in puzzlement but one girl says, "It's water."

"Why is it the case that the water does not fall?"

The students look to each other in puzzlement again, and Eiji explains water vapor. He missteps and tries to talk about seeing the vapor they breathe out on a cold day, only to discover that many of these young Californians have never had that experience.

By the time the students leave, they and Caliban have learned a fair amount from each other. (+Empathy)

As you leave the library, Eiji thanks you again for volunteering. You think back to your seven-year-old self, the excitement of opening up a robot kit for the first time, and you feel good about it. Maybe you've sparked some robot dreams among those kids.

Feeling good about your accomplishments, you ask Eiji out to dinner at a nice tapas bar in downtown Palo Alto. He agrees, and the two of you drop Caliban off at your apartment before heading over.

The restaurant has no tables, so they seat you both at the bar. The two of you end up chatting so long that you stay for several drinks, and by the time you get to his apartment, you are both very giggly. The two of you have a very good time that night, and you can tell that Eiji is very much in love with you.

The next morning, you return to your apartment to find Caliban has thoroughly trashed it: shredded linens, a smashed monitor, and clothes scattered everywhere. Oops. That will cost a fair amount to repair. You find Caliban in your closet, having gotten tangled in your laundry hamper. Perhaps this was a learning experience for him but you're starting to realize you aren't paying as much attention to his development as perhaps you should.

Then again, maybe Eiji makes it all worthwhile.

The next day, the new semester begins. Though you're past the point of taking classes, you're a teaching assistant, and that means instead of doing one homework assignment, you grade fifty. You're also busy writing a grant proposal for the National Science Foundation, trying to get an alternate source of funding that doesn't involve the military. Grant proposals are very long, it seems, and require you to make a lot of claims about things you don't actually know yet.

Thankfully, you still have time to see Eiji every so often, though that takes up much of your remaining time. You always enjoy your dates, and you often hear people say you're a cute couple. Between your other time commitments, you're in danger of hardly seeing Eiji at all. You had thought of yourself as developing a romance with Eiji but it doesn't seem to be happening in practice.

1) We'll just have to see each other a little less frequently—I'm really busy.
2) I shouldn't be putting so much time into my advisor's grants.
3) I shouldn't be spending so much time on Caliban—Eiji is a real person, after all.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 11, 2015, 11:13:03 pm »

We still hate Zeigler, yeah? 2

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: February 11, 2015, 11:14:04 pm »

Aw shit.

I have no idea what to go for here.

Number 2, maybe? Or 3? I dunno. 1 might be okay, with how high our relationship is. Let's try that, maybe.

Also, we should probably work on Caliban's autonomy.

And no, this time Ziegler is our friend. Different game, we have good standing with him. Let's see if we can get a PhD.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 71