Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71

Author Topic: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots  (Read 86293 times)

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots Chapter 5: The War Machine
« Reply #495 on: February 03, 2015, 07:59:20 pm »

If we are to conquer Alaska then I suppose we would become politicians. That was a terrible joke
Along with the fact that we wouldn't want Rogers to think we could be playing a dupe on him 2
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »

Numbah 2, I think.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:16 pm »

You look online for plans to a homemade polygraph. You try experimentally lying into it at first, and you think it must be broken, because its precision and recall seem terrible. But apparently, polygraph tests are notoriously inaccurate. You find that your detector tends to go off whenever you have an emotional response to anything at all.

So you set about deadening your emotional response, by carefully watching the feedback from your makeshift polygraph and using it to seek that feeling of disconnectedness that results in the suppression of the signal. You find that your feeling of detachment is useful in everyday life, too, for not getting upset about things. You leave a little attachment in there just so they won't be alarmed at the absence of signal.

You pass the polygraph test with flying colors.

In a few weeks' time, an email tells you that you are awarded a Top Secret clearance. You scan the restrictions. Apparently, you can no longer publish anything about your area of expertise, nor leave the country, without first asking for the government's permission. That is sort of the opposite of the James Bond lifestyle you'd imagined, but in practice, you've never been one to get out much, so perhaps this is all right.

You attend a classified briefing at the same laboratory where you met with Major Rogers before, where some Air Force intelligence officers share with you, and a room full of other invited engineers, what they know about the Chinese robots. To be honest, you expected something a little sexier than these highly detailed technical specs, but they should help your own robots exploit the other robots' weaknesses. (++++Military)

Many attendees leave, and a further session details the current weaknesses in the drones currently employed by the government. Unfortunately, this information is practically worthless to you, since you plan on supplying better robots anyway; but you suppose it will be marginally useful to know what existing technology you can build on. (+Military) Meanwhile, the speakers caution that now that you know these facts, you will be a target for enemy intelligence efforts. On the whole, government secrets appear to be like the secrets of family members: more a burden than a privilege.

"All right, enough of the boring stuff," says the speaker, a man in an airman's uniform whom you think was introduced as a colonel. "I have a surprise for you."

The speaker starts a video that appears to be a drone's view of a scrubby countryside. You estimate from the latitude and longitude readout in the corner that this is probably the southeastern part of China. There is a targeting reticule in the center of the drone's field of vision.

"This is a live video feed from a drone on a 'capture or kill' mission," the colonel narrates. "We still call it that, even though it's never 'capture,' because hey—when was it ever 'capture'?"

You make a mental note that the military's 'capture or kill' directives appear to be really just lip service even for their human soldiers, and your robots will not be expected to really 'capture.' This should let your robots focus more on pure firepower—which you suppose is very logical. (+++Military)

The video comes upon a small house near a river. Five men run out as the drone approaches, and the targeting reticule begins to swerve and track the men. They scatter, and the reticule follows one in particular.

"Xi Chao, high-ranking party member and military hawk, out taking some R and R," the colonel narrates. "But little does he know he's about to RIP." There's a polite chuckle from the audience.

What do you do as you watch the targeting reticule close in upon this man?

1) I can't look. I shut my eyes.
2) I watch with interest—it should help me develop better robots.
3) I walk out. I'm not going to be a part of this.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 03, 2015, 09:36:49 pm »

And we lost 26% Humanity.

Figured as much. Oh well. Number 1.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 03, 2015, 09:38:02 pm »

All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 03, 2015, 09:38:29 pm »

I'm for 1 on this, we can't be TOTAL dicks.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 03, 2015, 09:45:12 pm »

I'm for 1 on this, we can't be TOTAL dicks.

It would be interesting to see if it's possible to reach 0% Humanity, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 03, 2015, 09:47:18 pm »

The video has no sound, so you are not quite sure when to open your eyes. But eventually the speaker starts up again.

"Well, I can see I'm putting some of you to sleep, so let me conclude here," he says.

The speaker concludes with a bullet-pointed slide labeled "Conclusions," and the audience claps, and it is once again like any number of talks you saw in graduate school.

With your new clearance, you find that you are able to get your company involved in much more lucrative contracts. (+++++Wealth) You're also able to design robots that fit much better with the military's needs and culture. (+++++Military) When your salespeople start saying "better situational awareness" instead of "better world models" and "Red Team" instead of "enemy," suddenly they find that they're much more on the same page as their clients.

What will your new war robots be like?

1) They will be extremely intelligent missiles.
2) They will be giant mecha, anime-style. But without the fourteen-year-old pilots.
3) They will look identical to humans, able to replace them entirely on the battlefield.
4) They will be large humanoids, able to transform into vehicles.

(By the way, should I mention if and when we get achievements in the future?)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 03, 2015, 09:54:06 pm »

2 Because giant robots.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 03, 2015, 10:37:59 pm »

Why are we even voting on this one?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 03, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »

My sentiments exactly.

Except I wanted us to make Transformers...

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 03, 2015, 11:30:46 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:16 pm »

The actual mechanics of giant robots are somewhat frustrating; anime never had to deal with the laws of physics. The mechanics of human motion turn out not to scale up. You need a huge acceleration to get a swinging arm or leg within tens of meters of the normal amount of time for a human stride, followed by an equally strong deceleration. Weight, moreover, increases as the cube of the size of a thing when you scale up, so each limb literally weighs a ton despite your best efforts to streamline their design. You find you simply don't have the mechanical prowess to make the idea work. But you persist, and your sponsors love the idea enough to keep funding you despite your lack of tangible results. You learn a lot by tackling the tough mechanics problems involved, but the giant robots are not noticeably more effective on the battlefield than your smaller robots. (+++Grace)

A year into the war, China attacks Taiwan. Your robots are key to beating back the assault. Drones with your AI technology shoot down the missiles from the mainland before they can reach the American carriers, allowing reinforcements to come protect the island. Submersible versions of your robots sink the Chinese transports before they can reach land, sending the robots they carry to the bottom of the ocean. You wonder how long they will last down there. If they have nuclear power, possibly a very long time indeed.

Taiwan is safe, for now.

Some days after that, you have a visitor at your apartment: a man in a suit who shows you an FBI badge.

"Sorry to bother you. We were checking out some of your answers on your SF-86, and ran into some discrepancies. I'd like to ask you some questions about your friend, Elly."

Joyeuse rolls up beside you. "What's going on, Master?"

"Are you aware that Elly is a Chinese citizen?" asks the man in the suit.

1) "You're mistaken. Elly is American."
2) "I know."
3) "No, I was not aware of that."

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 03, 2015, 11:44:12 pm »

Should we tell the truth?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 04, 2015, 12:24:12 am »

4) Sic Joyeuse on him. Clean up the gibs later.

3?

Seems like its the better of the three options, but they're all bad.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71