Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71

Author Topic: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots  (Read 86317 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots Chapter 4: Captains of Industry
« Reply #435 on: February 02, 2015, 11:42:41 pm »

*Cue tumbleweeds*

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 02, 2015, 11:44:42 pm »

I'm for 2 or 3. But I already don't like her.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #437 on: February 02, 2015, 11:47:30 pm »

I think it's because you didn't make a new post, so it wasn't in the updated topics list...

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2015, 11:49:39 pm »

Doesn't editing the last post of a thread count?

I guess not.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:03 pm »

It doesn't alert anyone.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2015, 11:54:42 pm »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2015, 11:55:48 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:54 pm »

Representative Irons seems surprised. "Excuse me?"

You describe in detail how the Chinese stole your robot designs. She seems genuinely angry by the end.

"They'll pay for this," she says. "But the person who has the most power to set international policy is the President. Will you support me?"

1) "Sure. Here's a hundred bucks."
2) "I'm afraid I don't have a significant amount of wealth to spare. Sorry."

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2015, 11:57:34 pm »

We might as well TRY to help.
Spooky Signature

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2015, 11:59:09 pm »

1? I don't think it will work, but we can try!

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 03, 2015, 12:00:03 am »

Might as well 1 with it.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 03, 2015, 12:07:21 am »

Senator Irons scowls. "Don't spit in my face." She whirls on one boot and marches out the door.

Perhaps it's a coincidence, but a little while later, a law is passed in Alaska that strongly incentivizes companies that switch from robot labor to human labor—leaving your company out of the gravy train, since you already use human workers. The overall market for robots is hurt as a result.

Representative Irons does run for president, running on a platform of preventing robots and foreign companies from stealing American jobs. It's a message that hits the American public at just the right time, since unemployment is soaring. Though economists tell the public that the unemployment is a natural and temporary result of new technology displacing old, skilled jobs, that turns out to be a much less effective election year message than raging against "the privileged, the elites, and the technocracy," as Representative Irons puts it in her speeches. "What are they doing with their money? Who are they giving it to? To robots. To foreigners. To each other. To anybody but the American people."

You think she is probably talking about you.

All of which makes it somewhat alarming when Representative Irons wins the presidency.

True to her word, President Irons begins a policy of heavy embargoes against Chinese goods.

In retaliation, China cuts off all exports of rare earths and the batteries derived from them. Suddenly, the cost of all the little, miniaturized electronics people have grown accustomed to—cell phones, laptops, wearable computing—becomes prohibitively expensive.

President Irons makes demands that China reverse its embargoes on rare earths, or the United States will be forced to "contemplate all policy options at its disposal, including military force if necessary."

It is in this delicate situation that on April 10, 2026, the Chinese Prime Minister is assassinated by an unemployed American during a parade in San Francisco. The Prime Minister is replaced by a younger party official who is eager to show that China is unafraid of the United States. China attacks several islands in the South China Sea that it has long disputed with its neighbors, and President Irons, unwilling to show weakness, responds with a drone attack on bases on the Chinese mainland.

The Robot War has begun.

Chapter 5: The War Machine

Three months into the war, the Chinese have captured many islands in the South China Sea that they had long contested with their neighbors. The press speculate that besides the islands' military importance, the move sends a signal to the neighboring countries that the United States is weak. (The United Nations also doesn't do anything, but that surprises nobody.) Autonomous drones equipped with cruise missiles sink two American carriers in the exchange.

Your business is doing well—as businesses directly supplying the war effort ramp up, they need labor, and that puts more of the country to work, improving the economy. (+Wealth)

You receive an email invitation from Major Juliet Rogers, an acquisitions officer in the Air Force, to come to a federally funded research lab to discuss business.

Josh is apparently bringing you to this meeting as his "+1."

the Berkeley Federal Research Center. A small plaque at its base explains that it was developed at the lab for ballistic missile defense, meaning it would be used only to shoot down other missiles. ("Hey, cool," Josh says. "It's a missile missile!")

An African-American woman in an airman's uniform catches your eye from beyond the turnstiles labeled CLEARED PERSONNEL ONLY. She allows a man in a pinstriped suit to swipe his badge and pass the turnstyle himself; you sense that this is out of a sense of politeness and not deference. There is a steady purposefulness to her step as she crosses the lobby.

"Pleased to meet you," she says, offering her hand. "I'm Major Juliet Rogers of Air Force Acquisitions. I know your advisor, Professor Ziegler."

"Professor Ziegler is here?" you ask, surprised.

"You're just in time for the demonstration," Major Rogers says. "Right this way."

Major Rogers guides you and Josh to an auditorium where the audience is a mix of the button-down shirt crowd—the engineers, you think—and men and women wearing camo uniforms. It is indeed Professor Ziegler giving the keynote, standing at a podium flanked by American flags. His PowerPoint presentation currently shows a soldier's hand shaking a robot hand.

"For a long time, robot autonomy on the battlefield was extremely limited, even as the use of drones increased," Professor Ziegler says. "Larger and larger teams of warfighters were pulled away from their duties to fully control these drones. Only now is a fully autonomous robotic warfighter possible. I present to you… Joyeuse V!"

You're somewhat horrified to see a copy of Joyeuse roll onto the stage, to the applause of the crowd. It's not even a recent copy; Joyeuse V is exactly as Joyeuse was when you got kicked out of grad school.

Josh gives you an uneasy look, clearly afraid you're going to make a scene.

Major Rogers also appears to be studying your expression.

1) Stand up and declare Professor Ziegler a fraud.
2) Ask a pointed question about the current state-of-the-art that implies Professor Ziegler does not know what the hell he is doing.
3) Stay silent.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots Chapter 5: The War Machine
« Reply #447 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:56 am »

2. But only for Josh's sake.

(4. KICK HIM IN THE JUNK FOR THIS.)

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #448 on: February 03, 2015, 12:15:36 am »

2. But only for Josh's sake.

(4. KICK HIM IN THE JUNK FOR THIS.)
+1

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 03, 2015, 12:20:59 am »

Operation Fuck Ziegler is in full effect. Well, it never really STOPPED being in full effect.
Spooky Signature
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 71