Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 71

Author Topic: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots  (Read 86336 times)

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots Chapter 2: Machine, Learning
« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2015, 06:23:24 pm »

"But why can't you simply tell me?" Joyeuse asks.

"I have given you the ability to decide for yourself," you say. "You should use it."

You also think to yourself: and if you figure it out, perhaps you can tell me.

"Very well, Master." (+Autonomy)

You establish a habit of bringing Joyeuse with you to your office during the day, so that it can make use of Stanford's high-speed Internet connection while you write and grade papers. You then usually go to some public space after work so that Joyeuse can play around in the real world. Where do you take Joyeuse?

1) The park playground. Joyeuse will enjoy the playground equipment, and should learn to play well with others.
2) The shooting range. Joyeuse should learn to fire a gun.
3) The dump. Joyeuse could help me look for spare parts.

Spoiler: Current Stats (click to show/hide)

Gradiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2015, 07:04:19 pm »

2. At this rate we'll never take over Alaska.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:26 pm »

1. To hell with Alaska, let's have him be indistinguishable from regular people.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »

I want to turn this thing into a proper "Iron Giant", how will he learn to be a murder machine if he doesn't know how to play with small children?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2015, 07:37:17 pm »

I like how we've suddenly assigned him a gender that the game won't recognize.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2015, 07:39:31 pm »

I want to turn this thing into a proper "Iron Giant", how will he learn to be a murder machine if he doesn't know how to play with small children?
+1

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2015, 07:48:40 pm »

The other parents at the playground are somewhat divided about what to think about Joyeuse. On the one hand, you have the parents who are in the tech industry, and who are often very excited to have their children interact with robots. They're surprised to see a robot like Joyeuse, but maybe not as surprised as they should be; maybe they're just jaded by Wired articles and the popular press making it seem like Joyeuse was possible ten years ago. On the other hand, some parents simply accept Joyeuse's presence as just one of many things they don't quite understand.

The kids themselves don't really seem to care what their parents think; you've got the kids who cry when their parents shove them toward Joyeuse, and the kids who want to stay when their parents pull them away. You can't really predict who's going to like Joyeuse and who won't, but Joyeuse seems to be learning, picking up on subtle cues, so that sometimes it says "goodbye" before the kid has even turned to run. (+Empathy)

You finish your grant proposal for the National Science Foundation, promising fundamental advances in autonomous machine learning.

A few weeks later, you find a form letter email in your inbox: We're sorry to inform you…many excellent applications this year…encourage you to apply again…

Discouragingly, you find that many of the reviewers talk about your advisor instead of you. Some of them barely seem literate, while others seem erudite but just didn't pay attention to what you wrote. The one thing that strikes you as directly aimed at you, though, is that a few of the reviewers essentially say that your work could be more focused. You're interested in too many things, one says. Science is about studying a very specific problem to death. It sounds like your robot wants to do everything.

You close your email client and sigh. You're in your office, and Joyeuse is seated in your ever-absent officemate's chair with its eyes closed, listening to the information flowing through its Ethernet cable.

"Do you want to do and try everything, Joyeuse?"

It peeks through one open eye. "Yes, Master."

You nod. "Me too."

You're in your office contemplating what to do about this when Professor Ziegler opens the door without knocking. You smell the whiff of smoke on his Hawaiian shirt.

"Good news," Professor Ziegler says. "Our DARPA BAA grant came through. You're funded for the rest of your studies."

"Great," you say.

Joyeuse reacts to the enthusiasm in your voice with a robotic cheer. "Yaaay!"

"In fact, I've met an Air Force acquisitions officer who seems very interested in your work," Ziegler says. "First Lieutenant Juliet Rogers. You two should talk. There could be a good career for you in government science post-graduation."

Professor Ziegler looks at Joyeuse, as if noticing it for the first time.

"Still could look a little more fierce," he says. "Looks like a little goddamned robot baby." He shakes his head.

"Anyway. Keep up the good work."

With that, Professor Ziegler leaves you alone with Joyeuse.

Near the end of the semester, you notice a message on your office phone. You're not really sure how long the light has been blinking—you don't really think about landlines anymore. You find the department webpage that describes how to check your voicemail, reset the PIN that you apparently chose when you first started graduate school, and listen.

"Hey, Isaac, this is Mark over at sfchronicle.com. I've heard you have an interesting robot that you've been taking to the park and I'd love to do a story about it. Give me a call back." He lists a number and the message ends.

You glance over at Joyeuse, who is seated at the desk of your hypothetical, all-but-dissertation officemate whom you have never seen. Joyeuse is looking at the landline phone with interest.

"Whois service says sfchronicle.com is registered to the San Francisco Chronicle," says Joyeuse. "The San Francisco Chronicle is a newspaper that started its website in 1994. Twenty-fourth in national circulation." It looks at you with interest. "Mark is a reporter."

"Shouldn't you be studying?" you ask, pointing to the Ethernet cable running out of its back.

"Bayesian reasoning over publication rates suggests reporter's full name is Mark Ali," Joyeuse says with its eyes closed. "Mark's article with most social media likes is 'How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love DARPA.' Article explains that DARPA stands for Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency." It hesitates for a moment. "Aforementioned article appears to contradict title. Reporter does not seem to have stopped worrying. Adjectives that bind to nouns describing DARPA and its projects: 'Crazy.' 'Orwellian.' 'Imperialistic.' Overall sentiment analysis is negative."

"Thank you, Joyeuse," you say. You look the guy up on your phone. The picture you find of the stubbly, young, Egyptian man with tousled, black hair, hipster glasses, and a cigarette between his lips is probably outdated, but the disrespect for authority the man radiates is probably timeless.

You admit, a part of you has always wanted to be famous. But you suspect this reporter also has done his homework about your advisor, and he may already have an intended angle for this story.

Still, nobody on the planet has a robot as amazing as yours. Isn't it time you told the world about it?

You play the message back again a few times, mulling it over.

1) I call Mark back and set up an interview.
2) Media attention is just a distraction. I'd rather continue to take Joyeuse to the park and pretend this never happened.
3) I must protect Joyeuse from the media. Joyeuse must stay in my apartment from now on.
4) I will let Joyeuse decide.

(I did not expect us to get that grant. I don't think I've ever had Zeigler not complain that a high Empathy robot sends the military mixed signals.)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:54:10 pm by Vgray »

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2015, 07:55:06 pm »

4!

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2015, 08:05:12 pm »

ABSOLUTELY 4!

Plus, our Military is also high, so why not?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2015, 09:10:03 pm »

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »

Joyeuse mulls this over. (+Autonomy)

"Will it help me make new friends?"

"I think so," you say.

Joyeuse nods. "Let's do it, Master. I want to meet the world."

You call Mark back and tell him Joyeuse has agreed to an interview.

There's a pause on the other end of the line. "Thanks, but I'd rather interview you first." You detect a note of irony in his voice. "I can bring a photographer to your lab later, and we can 'interview' the robot as a sidebar."

You convey Mark's message to Joyeuse.

"Two new friends!" Joyeuse says. "Please invite them over, Master, and offer to make them breakfast!"

Chapter 3: The Camera Eye

A few days later, you're sitting in a dive bar in San Francisco's Mission district with Mark, a somewhat scruffy, young reporter in a leather jacket. Mark has Mediterranean features, wavy, black hair, and ample beard stubble. He takes a deep pull on one of those artificial cigarettes that delivers all the nicotine with none of the illegal smoke, then opens up a cheap Chromebook that looks about ten years old and starts typing furiously. The place smells of smoke that never quite came out of the retro, upholstered furniture. It's the afternoon, so the place is mostly empty except for some dedicated drunks and you two.

"Thanks for coming," Mark says, even as he's typing something different about the atmosphere of the bar. "You'd be surprised how many people insist on just answering via email. But that's bullshit reporting. It's like trying to sell the public a car you've only seen in a picture. To find the truth, you've got to kick the tires. You've got to look them in the eye."

He looks you in the eye.

"Like right now, I can basically tell you're a nice guy," he says, going back to typing. "You try to do right by people. Haven't had to stick anybody in the guts to get what you want." He hesitates. "That's a compliment."

"Thanks," you say awkwardly.

The bartender, a tattooed and thoroughly pierced young woman with the build of a roller derby player, approaches Mark.

"PBR," Mark says lightly, as if it's just a reminder.

The bartender then looks to you expectantly.

1) "PBR for me, too."
2)"Got any, like, chocolate coffee porters?"
3)"I'll have the Miller High Life, please. The Champagne of Beers!"
4)"Guinness. For strength."
5)"Just water for me, please."

(Please have a second choice in mind if you pick 2.)

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Choose in Choice of Robots Chapter 3: The Camera Eye
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2015, 09:23:29 pm »

With a name like Issac, I'm going 4.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2015, 10:05:43 pm »

5. Water is free! :P

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2015, 11:10:23 pm »

5. Water is free! :P
1+ we can't think properly with alcohol In our system and reporters can be very tricky so it is probably in our best interests to stay sober.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 71