Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade  (Read 8767 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 12:15:34 pm »

Blerk, meant gws. The IP holders.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 02:33:15 pm »

Yeah... Good old GWS, whoes full name is "this is why I can't afford to play tabletop Games Work Shop".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 03:02:21 pm »

Anyways, here's the most recent stream of the game, Dec 19th. Judge for thyself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8-ly-vQO0
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 10:10:19 pm »

::Forgotten threads and cities rise from the ancient depths of the forums::

For those of you who are interested in this game, it was recently added to Steam.  For quite a while I would say this game has been a bit scant on particularly interesting screenshots due to the alpha nature it was in. Being closer to a finished product now the screenshots are much nicer looking and more enticing.

As a recap; this is a third person shooter in the style of Battlefront. Capturing points using different classes, vehicles and so forth. Playable factions are Space Marines,, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks (At least from last I heard). The interesting element is that while you have to buy the game to play as the factions, you can play for free as a basic Ork boy.

Edit: After reading a sticky on the Steam forums, apparently this idea was dropped, possibly to be included post launch, back in January 2015.

Excerpt from Steam Page:
Engage in massive battles
Take part in massive military campaigns between 4 factions for the conquest of a persistent world.
Dive into the shifting frontlines and crush your foes! Engage in melee, take to the air with a jump pack or fire into the fray from one of the turrets of a fully armed Predator tank. Combat in Eternal Crusade ranges from a personal clashing of Chainswords to truly epic warfare.
Your faction is your family now
Victory is not a thing for a single warrior to claim. Whether you’re in PVP or PVE, your squad must work together to overcome constant resistance in their quest for glory. Face death side-by-side with your brothers as you defend strongholds or delve into the Underworld to cooperatively combat alien hordes of Tyranids.
Choose your allegiances and background
Pick between twenty different sub-factions, then earn hundreds of weapons and accessories drawn from 29 years of Warhammer 40,000 lore to craft your perfect warrior..

From what I remember watching some people play this, general response was that it was a good game but these videos were done about a year or so ago and as I mentioned earlier, this game has had a long production time.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:13:29 pm by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 10:20:55 pm »

I'm hopeful.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 10:34:42 pm »

The absolutely worst it can be is a free ork-themed IMVU thing. Assuming they ever actually get to that point, since apparently orks and eldar aren't in yet. But hey, as long as it doesn't cost anything to get into, it will grow in userbase and make enough to not die.

Edit: After reading a sticky on the Steam forums, apparently this idea was dropped, possibly to be included post launch, back in January 2015.
Never mind, game is dead on arrival.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 11:52:12 pm »

It is rather disappointing that the free to play Ork Boy system isn't going to be in the game. That was met quite positively when it was first announced as a clever way to entice players as well as represent the numbers of Orks.

The statements on this are rather oddly placed. The FAQ on the official site still highlights the "Free to Waaagh!" system, but apparently during a dev stream in January 2015 they said it wouldn't be present and this was later covered again in a blog post around November 2015.

It seems like they might be struggling to have all the content advertised completed by release date. Ork and Eldar look like they're going to be additions after release. There is a screenshot on Steam of a bunch of Tyranids so they have some variety in factions besides Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines. I would assume the deciding factor for the games success is how well it can keep players after the first week or month after release.

I remember in Warhammer Online a problem with the PvP content was that both sides would avoid the other, taking castles where the enemy weren't present to deny them medal drops you got upon killing the other side. Later on, Order and Destruction had different times of the day when they had a lot of players on so the campaign would flip back and forth as one side outnumbered the other. I wonder how, if it applicable, they will counter these scenarios.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 12:50:16 am »

I would assume the deciding factor for the games success is how well it can keep players after the first week or month after release.
There are two deciding factors. Retention is important, but doesn't even come into play if you can't get high initial numbers. It's possible that their basic gameplay is really polished. Not likely, considering everything else, but possible. It doesn't matter, if that only leaves them with five digits of players to retain, and that's an entirely possible situation here. We're looking at a franchise where the established fanbase is divided between pre-designed factions, and they're starting the game out with only two of them. What's more, their development style has killed the hype in most communities by promising something great and then dialing it way back to something mediocre. Now they're stuck trying to transition to a model of releasing something mediocre and scale it up into something great, which is not really compatible with typical MMO user number trends.

I wonder how, if it applicable, they will counter these scenarios.
They have manual control over what the Tyranids do, and that has long been their canned answer to any potential balance problem.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 01:03:46 am »

I'd like to imagine that Nid incursions would be threatening enough that, were it to occur in a battle between two armies, that they'd have to prioritize the Nids over one another.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 11:41:47 am »

Last I recall 'Nids were supposed to be the opponent you fight in co-op only "dungeon" missions.

Which I don't know if they ever actually made it into the game.

Basically there are so many unfullfilled promises and rolled back ideas on this game I'm not in a huge rush to try it.

And it's a $50 game to start with in EA? Bwhahahaha. No. I get why it is that price; they sold backers several hundred dollar packs on the assumption this would be a F2P game. Now they're going to a standard release model and they need to do something so their backers don't fly to Europe and set their fucking offices on fire.

This game had fail written all over it from Day 1 and what I saw of alpha and beta just showed they struggled to meet anything other than the basic necessities: a battlescape and Space Marines. Almost all if not all the original devs jumped ship on the project and what's here now is the product of devs coming in and doing a whole lot of work in a year and a half to make it playable.

Steam reviews currently indicate:
-Major performance issues on AMD machines (what else is new, if a game doesn't run like shit on an AMD it's a miracle)
-No keybinding
-No upgrades/progression
-2 maps and no ability to choose your map
-Melee combat that essentially sounds broken (the life steal you get from melee means you can do 3v1 and still not die as long as you keep connecting with your attacks)
-The game is no longer F2P but apparently you still get Rogue Trader Points. So not only are you going to pay $50 for the right to play this game, it has a full-blown cash shop to boot.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:04:02 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 12:29:23 pm »

And it's a $50 game to start with in EA? Bwhahahaha. No. I get why it is that price; they sold backers several hundred dollar packs on the assumption this would be a F2P game. Now they're going to a standard release model and they need to do something so their backers don't fly to Europe and set their fucking offices on fire.
This part isn't new, it was actually originally going to be $60 for the base game iirc but game prices in general have been dropping. Comparatively new, they added a cash shop to profit from the f2p orks who were part of the initial hybrid model, originally it would have been "buy into factions individually instead of buying everything at once".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 12:47:53 pm »

I don't recall what their price point was. But "F2P, pay hard cash for the faction you want, then cash shop" was better than "pay full price for everything, then cash shop."  Especially for a game is currently as hollow as this one. F2P is the chance to find out if a game is for you, then let you decide to spend more.

Now it's just "give us all the money please" and "oh did you like it? Please give us more money then."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 12:50:50 pm »

So I'm curious, as someone who hasn't been following the game and all I know is what's said on the steam page... how exactly is this an MMO? Having 16v16 'matches' sounds more like Counter Strike than an actual procedural MMO Shooter like Planetside. Is this because World of Tanks claims that it is an MMO?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 12:52:49 pm »

They thought they would be Planetside.

Turns out they didn't get anywhere close to it.

Calling this an MMO is at best wrong and at worst deceptive.

Maybe one day if they can reach their "persistent massive battlezone" it will be worth the title. But right now it's literally "Warhammer 40K: Space Marine with 16vs16 and vehicles."

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 01:06:38 pm »

Yea, eternal crusade isn't an MMO, right now is more of a pvp third person action shooter game with matchmaking, ala CSGO and etc.

There is apparently some sort of PVE mode planet with some level of persistency to it, but I never saw any video detailing it. Also, Orks and Eldar only barely show up in one of the trailers, and I haven't seen any sign of Nids yet apart from artwork. Its a solid game as it is, but its certainly no planetside. And as it was mentioned before, their f2p microtransaction model is rather on the expensive side.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5