Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 98

Author Topic: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. OOC Thread. [Ended]  (Read 99707 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: The Tyranny of Dragons. OOC Thread. We're back!
« Reply #1320 on: August 31, 2016, 09:02:25 am »

Apologies, but the turn is going to be a little late. I'm still trying to figure out what Adrik's backstory is. :P

Nobody knows, not even him. :P

I can bounce some general ideas at you in PM, but that may be crossing the line from player/co-gm too far. Maybe better if it's a surprise to everybody.

Edit: Btw, does anyone want to me to add any RP/Character art stuff to the 2nd post for them? Like journals and character portraits and things?

It'd be cool if there was more than me there.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 31, 2016, 09:15:22 am »

Ah, wait, I've got it. All I needed to do was sleep on it

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 31, 2016, 09:21:49 am »

Plot twist!

He'll never guess his father was really a Flumph.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:53 am »

Plot twist!

He'll never guess his father was really a Flumph.
Get out of my head!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 01, 2016, 11:41:53 pm »

Sorry that took so long. I really struggled trying to figure out what Adrik's backstory was, and how to lore dump it, but then I realized that I could easily just use delaying tactics.

I've also been asked to make a Discord. So here's a Discord. The link only works for a day, apparently. PM me for a fresh one. Fixed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:57:09 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: September 01, 2016, 11:53:05 pm »

You can make a link that doesn't expire.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: September 02, 2016, 11:38:29 am »

Btw, the computer I'm using can't really connect to many chat programs, so eh :P

Also figured I might tackle our lack of reliable healing by shopping around town for an NPC. Can't rely on the GM to do everything for us!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: September 07, 2016, 02:34:08 pm »

Master Plan: Post so much that MNIM realizes I'm not playing his game anymore. He's playing mine.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: September 08, 2016, 12:40:21 am »

Sorry, no update tonight.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: September 08, 2016, 04:08:55 am »

Edit: Btw, does anyone want to me to add any RP/Character art stuff to the 2nd post for them? Like journals and character portraits and things?

It'd be cool if there was more than me there.

Hi, if you guys didn't know I will be joining soon and I'm in progress of making pixel art of my character (while making a sheet), so after it's done you will be allowed to put it there :P.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: September 09, 2016, 09:04:59 am »

So what exactly is the process for magical item research?

If I'm looking at the numbers right, there's a set DC, and it ends when you get either a certain amount of successes or failures? How much successes would I have needed to accomplish anything here? Did I accomplish anything, or was it all a waste, or is that intentionally left out to keep me wondering? Is that right?

Also, should I deduct any gold for wasted time/resources?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: September 10, 2016, 01:25:44 am »

I scraped together a rough system last night, where 5 successes were required to complete the research. I assigned research a DC of 15, and every 5 above 15 earned another success (20 = 2 successes, 25 = 3 successes). A roll of 10-14 meant that no progress was made. Anything lower meant that a failure was accrued, and a spell slot wasted. You can keep researching until you run out of spell slots. Once that happens, you have to wait until the next day. There's no lasting penalty for failures.
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I don't think I'll keep this system, I just wanted figure a better way to make magic item creation more interesting.

And no, you don't have to deduct gold. In this system, I decided the bulk of the cost should come from actually making it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: September 10, 2016, 08:21:32 am »

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I don't think I'll keep this system, I just wanted figure a better way to make magic item creation more interesting.

I dunno, that system seems to work fine for our purposes. Keep it simple, right? Research is the most boring part (since I have no active role, and I'm going to fail more than half the time), so I'd rather it go by the quickest. I wanna get to the part where you give the group a sidequest to go get the rare reagents for me to finish the artifact.

Collecting Troll Snot, Unicorn Hair and Bulette Kidney stones is a lot more fun than 'Sorry, you failed the research again.'. :P

That being said, if your intent is to limit my magic item research ability in general, just don't let me make something from nothing-make it so I need to loot a schematic or something, or I have to design a copy of an existing magic item we have. That makes alot more sense, canon wise. Technically I'm pushing the realistic limits of the 5th edition here, as magic items are not in mass scale production in this era/world due to the spellplague.

Either one works for me.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: September 12, 2016, 12:09:58 am »

I wanna get to the part where you give the group a sidequest to go get the rare reagents for me to finish the artifact.
Collecting Troll Snot, Unicorn Hair and Bulette Kidney stones is a lot more fun than 'Sorry, you failed the research again.'. :P
It really is, but it is more work/time. That's what I was trying to set up with the Apothecary sidequest; flavorful, rewarding, but not getting in the way of the adventure.

Update tomorrow. I've got jury duty, and so I'll have plenty of time to write the turn. Here's hoping I don't get called!
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 98