Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Reconquering - An illustrated suggestion colony (re)builder  (Read 13754 times)

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
Re: Reconquering - An illustrated suggestion colony (re)builder
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2015, 11:33:23 pm »

We could just toss the corpses in a room and hope they don't reanimate.
how would you feel if the dead body of your closest human companion, that is not you was left to rot in some small room with hundreds of other bodies? What if it was in its own small room?
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:36 am »

How else do you intend to get them used to death?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2015, 12:45:35 am »

In a way that wont get us lynched. This aint DF, we arent some deity messing with people.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2015, 01:06:25 am »

Only way for a group to get used to death is if they feel the deaths served a purpose or was for a greater cause. Currently, those that died due to power failing wasn't exactly for a reason. I really don't see how the survivors can get used to those deaths. Only way we can have a positive outcome is if we set up some sort of memorial.

How about we build a wall of remembrance? we don't have to bury the bodies this way, they can be cremated in a symbolic fire that's looked upon as a key-mark in the colony's history of the first tragic event/colony's awakening/coming out of the dark(sleep).

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2015, 01:27:47 am »

Well, it was well-kown that the technology wasn't 100% reliable.
Both fusion reactors and stasis capsules were quite new, and there was a rather high possibility for failures.
Nevertheless some lost relatives and friends there, but they were prepared that it could happen.

Cremating them and building a memory wall sounds like a nice idea, too. But there is no crematorium. You would have to burn them outside the bunker and attract who knows what.

The area around the bunker (the green field on the map) is secure, now that the deer is dead. It is surrounded by a wall and has a entry in the south with a little guard house. The wall has some gaps in it now and everything is very dirty outside, but aside from that it's safe.
It has a concrete floor, though, with a street going from the wall entrance to the bunker entrance, so there won't be any grave digging here.

Let's see what the scout team will find ;)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2015, 01:42:13 am »

Only way for a group to get used to death is if they feel the deaths served a purpose or was for a greater cause. Currently, those that died due to power failing wasn't exactly for a reason. I really don't see how the survivors can get used to those deaths. Only way we can have a positive outcome is if we set up some sort of memorial.

How about we build a wall of remembrance? we don't have to bury the bodies this way, they can be cremated in a symbolic fire that's looked upon as a key-mark in the colony's history of the first tragic event/colony's awakening/coming out of the dark(sleep).
+1
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2015, 03:49:31 am »

Cremation is good.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

zomara0292

• Bay Watcher
  • Its a lie. he is still an escaped lunatic brony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2015, 06:41:37 am »

Did anyone read what the GM said? If we burn the bodies, we must do it outside, and risk atracting god knows what. Burning bodies in a crematorium takes a long while. A very long while. Plus, a lomg while ago, didnt he say that individuals will be handling their dead by themselves?. Making all this moot, unless you want to confiscate the dead bodies. Now, if we wish to bury the two guards that died doing their job, that would be far more acceptable. We coud bury them and give them a mamorial, with their names etched straight into the bunker wall, or, if we feel really ambitious, we could shoo away the shroom things, carve up the carcass, and turn its bones and hooves into a mini-mamorial dedicated to those to, and use the report to write a heroic short story of their fight, and death in te line of duty, to rase moral of our guards. But that would obviously be propaganda.
I hear a piranha is good eating.  I have a spear; I'll be fine!
The Pilot and their cargo handlers paused when they saw that the entire camp is covered in eldritch runes coated in blood. And rotting monkey corpses everywhere..

They decide that they didn't get paid enough for this..

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2015, 11:06:10 am »

On a side note, 12 liter of diesel per day per generator is well, not a lot.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2015, 12:27:18 pm »

They are far more efficient than today. And it was the first value I found on google ;) Did not check the output, though. It said 0.75-1.1, and I lowered it a bit to 0.5 per hour.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »

Diesel has a 35.8 MJ per liter energy density. This means that with 100% efficiency, your generator would produce 4.97 kW of energy.

The average US household uses about 1.2kW. Your average fusion/other power plant produces between 300 MW and 1.6 GW.

And that's why I almost always use arbitrary size units.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:31:54 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »

Alright, from now on they are Zulkinium generators. Zulkinium is a fuel invented in the year 2049 by Frederik Zulke and has an incredibly high energy density, compared to other types of fuel.

The generators are able to produce about 60 MW, the fusion reactors about 480 MW.

Is that better? ;)

edit: I edited the last turn, but I will keep using "energy" instead of MW.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:11:20 pm by Asgarus »

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2015, 08:30:26 am »

Reconquering
An illustrated suggestion colony (re)builder

[Knowledge Database]
[Story and turn overview in the opening post]

Turn 10
June 2171
The Crucible

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

The first 24 hours have passed. A lot happened and the colonists worked hard.
Hopefully the scouts out there didn't run into any danger tonight.
After the next turn, every turn will be a day!

The wall is now lowered, separating the former capsule hall into two sections for medicine and science.

The storage is now sorted and clean. The capsules and spare parts are brought there, except for a few, which stay at the hospital.

Your engineers managed to repair some of the fusion generators.
They managed to repair five but couldn't save a fourth.
They started those three and also one of the two reserve reactors.
We now have 6 running reactors and 1 offline.

The spare parts of the broken reactor were stored away (spare parts can be turned into metal by the factory)

A group of engineers stay at the engine room and begin to adjust and manage the energy flow.

Active tasks
(done)Lowering the wall to seperate the capsule hall into hospital and laboratory.
(done)Inspect and clean up the storage.
(done)Salvage (75%) / store away the capsules.
(done)Check and repair the reactors.
(turns remaining: 1)[10 Scientists, 5 Engineers, 6 Workers]Set up the laboratory.
(turns remaining: 1)[10 Doctors, 5 Engineers, 6 Workers]Set up the hospital.
(turns remaining: 1)[10 Engineers]Adjust the energy flow.
(turns remaining: 2)[15 Guards]Scout the area to the east of the bunker.

Permanent Tasks
[10 Guards]Man the guard post inside the entrance.
[5 Guards, 3 Scientists, 3 Doctors]Guard and observe the carcass.
[5 Doctors]Run the improvised hospital.
[30 Farmers]Farms.
[4 Engineers, 2 Scientists]Server room.
[5 Engineers, 10 Workers]Factory.

Population
Spoiler: Population (click to show/hide)

Hospital Queue
Spoiler: Hospital Queue (click to show/hide)

Advisors
Spoiler: Advisors (click to show/hide)

Storage
Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Food (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Materials (click to show/hide)

Energy
Spoiler: Energy (click to show/hide)

Production queue
Spoiler: Production (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blueprints (click to show/hide)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2015, 08:50:04 am »

Is that better? ;)
It let's me abuse physics, so yes.

One Zulkinium generator produces 60 MW, and requires 50 liters a day. Assuming 100% efficiency, that  gives us an energy density of about 100 000 MJ/liter. (This also means that the total stored energy is about the equivalent of the Hiroshima bomb. So no smoking in the fuel storage.)

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that if we wanted to burn the corpses, lighting them up won't be a problem.

(What I meant was actually using "units" of fuel, with the unit defined as an amount that made sense.)

Bon, actions :

Have our scientists carefully take and analyze a fungal sample. Be careful to isolate it so that it doesn't infect anyone
Also test local soil, air, and samples of nearby plant life.
Investigate if we have any communication equipment. Maybe the moon and Mars colonies are still out there. Contacting the mars expedition from the ground will be problematic, but we should be capable of reaching the moon
Look for any old stile maps. We might need fuel soon, or a dependable power source. Maybe a hydro dam?
Get the farms up and running

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2015, 10:34:46 am »

Bon, actions :

Have our scientists carefully take and analyze a fungal sample. Be careful to isolate it so that it doesn't infect anyone
Also test local soil, air, and samples of nearby plant life.
Investigate if we have any communication equipment. Maybe the moon and Mars colonies are still out there. Contacting the mars expedition from the ground will be problematic, but we should be capable of reaching the moon
Look for any old stile maps. We might need fuel soon, or a dependable power source. Maybe a hydro dam?
Get the farms up and running
+1
Max avatar size is 80x80
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10