Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Dark Horse  (Read 2600 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
The Dark Horse
« on: January 25, 2015, 05:42:04 am »

This is a dark game about darkness. You are Walter Darkly, unassuming janitor in the dark, seedy underbelly of Duskesha. You work for Erebus, a small manufacturer that sells industrial light bulbs. You clean their main offices.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

A week ago the company was forced to downsize, and as part of it they moved offices to a smaller one in a shadier part of town. You aren't particularly happy about this, because you have to walk to work and it's further away than it used to be. Passing by the stim freaks and gangsters always sets your nerves on edge. Today when you arrived you were told to clean the server room downstairs. When you took the elevator down with your cart, you discovered that they are keeping the lights off down here. There's enough ambient light that you can see once your eyes adjust, but it's very dark. When you arrived at the server room, you discovered a man you didn't recognize slumped against one of the server racks. He had a mohawk, dyed green, several piercings, and a cord trailing from the back of his neck to the rack.

What should you do?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Horse
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:43:22 am »

Are the stats from 1-100 or how does it work?
PTW
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 05:46:46 am »

First off, check if he's dead.

If yes, put him somewhere out of the way where he won't disturb your cleaning.

If no, put him somewhere out of the way where he won't disturb your cleaning, and beat him severely if he incoherently resists.

If he coherently resists, however, hear him out and pretend to sympathize.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:48:49 am »

As you reach out to touch him, the mohawked man convulses, his eyes snapping open and fixing on you. He opens one of his hands, revealing what you recognize as an autoinjector from your dark, seedy gambling days. He lunges forward and stabs you on the arm with it, and you can feel something wriggling its way past your skin. "Your problem now, motherfucker," the man croaks, and then convulses some more, his eyes rolling up in his head. After gingerly feeling your arm, you check for a pulse. He is dead as fuck. Now what?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 05:56:39 am »

[...] put him somewhere out of the way where he won't disturb your cleaning. [...]

Also, how good in terms of quality vs. expense are the clinics around here?

It's probably also a bit optimistic to expect we have health insurance, right?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 06:33:50 am »

This is obviously the company's fault. We need recompense! Then medical treatment but more importantly recompense!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 07:14:52 am »

You decide to clean around him, since dead people are pretty heavy and it would probably be hard to move him. After a few minutes of mopping tile, you start to get a little angry. You basically just got stabbed in company property, doing your job! Who knows what this creep injected into you? You might have to get medical treatment now, and the company better pay for it! You throw your mop to the ground dramatically and head for the elevators, intent on complaining to your supervisors. As you round the corner in the hallway, you hear the distinctive dinging sound of the elevator doors opening on this level. As the elevators come into view, you see a woman in sunglasses headed in your direction. She's wearing a leather jacket, black gloves, black pants, and boots. An Erebus employee is trailing behind her, irritation in his voice. "Ma'am? Ma'am! You can't be down here. If you don't leave I'm going to have to call security!"

The woman looks you up and down, then walks up to you and taps you on the shoulder. "Hey, mister. I need to ask you to come with me," she says.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:22:21 am »

"Why? Are you from management? If so I have a complaint to file. If not. I'm the bloody janitor, what in the name of Steve's left big toe do you need me for?"

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 07:24:10 am »

> initiativelessly defer to the other emplyee
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 07:32:38 am »

> initiativelessly defer to the other emplyee
+1
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:35:23 am »

"Why? Are you from management? If so, I have a complaint to file. I was--"

The woman grabs you roughly by the shoulder before you can finish your tirade. "Let's go, chum. We need to have words." She drags you to the elevator, and the employee stares at the both of you disapprovingly as you leave. Inside the elevator, she hammers the button for the top floor, waits a few moments for it to start rising, then pulls a little key out of her pocket. She sticks it in the firefighter slot and turns it, stopping the elevator. Then she turns to you, crossing her arms over her chest. "All right, fess up. Where've you got it?"

"Where have I got what? I don't know what you're talking about. Who are you?"

"Don't try me, punk. I can sense it on you. I don't want to search you, and you really don't want me to."

You hold your hands up in surrender. "I really don't have any idea what you're referring to."

She studies your face, rubbing her chin. "Alright. Did you see anybody else down there?"

"Yeah, there was a guy with a mohawk."

"Did he give you anything? Don't lie to me."

"No, he didn't give me anything. He stabbed me."

"He stabbed you?"

"Yeah, see?" You hold up your sleeve so she can see the mark on your arm. "With one of those autoinjectors."

She shakes her head at you. "Ah, fuck, you gotta be kidding me. He injected it in you?"

"What is it?" you ask insistently.

"Alright, I didn't want to get you involved in this any more than you needed to be, but I might as well clue you in. You can call me Liz."

"I'm Walter. Walter Darkly." You hold your hand out to shake, but she doesn't reciprocate.

"Well, Walter, you have got inside you a very important little implant. A lot of people are going to be looking for you very soon. Unfortunately, by now it's probably working its way up into your brain, so there's no way to get it out of you without killing you." She reaches into her coat pocket and pulls out a small disposable pistol, pointing it at your chest. It looks like one of those high-calibre, one-shot dealies you remember from your dark, seedy gambling days. They were very seedy. And dark. "So basically, you've got two choices, here. I shoot you, and haul your body to someone who can get that implant out of you, or you put all your cards on the table and come work with me and mine. What's it gonna be, Walt?"

What should you do?
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 08:38:05 am »

While being shot and dissected has been a childhood ambition of ours, there is a time and a place to entertain such notions, and this is not quite it.

Ask if we get sunglasses and a biker outfit like hers if we join. If yes, grudgingly agree to the offer. If not, happily agree to the offer.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 08:46:47 am »

While being shot and dissected has been a childhood ambition of ours, there is a time and a place to entertain such notions, and this is not quite it.

Ask if we get sunglasses and a biker outfit like hers if we join. If yes, grudgingly agree to the offer. If not, happily agree to the offer.

+1
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 08:54:28 am »

+1

The almighty power of +1.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2015, 10:05:11 am »

+1

The almighty power of +1.
+1
Pages: [1] 2