Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42

Author Topic: The Dark Star (Space game) [Who are "Them?"]  (Read 53449 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (Space game) [Incoming transmission!]
« Reply #510 on: February 28, 2015, 07:42:55 pm »

((Not to mention that isn't how computers work. You simply cannot do anything besides damage the wiring. That isn't hacking unless you have an axe.))

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #511 on: February 28, 2015, 07:43:18 pm »

((relax guys, all i managed to do was to get the door to open and close. I was setting up a door for a shop. Really not hacking, don't know why I used that word when it was more like programming. Technically it was still a computer though, just a tiny one that's sole purpose was to open and close a door according to a motion sensor. I did use electrical wiring for it, copper wire transmits electricity and data, so thus is an electrical wire.))
((can we go back to IC now? And maybe not shoot me down every word I type? I just wanna play the game. So in this case just forget all mentions of me hacking prior to this. I just thought of another justification i could use but I'm letting it go))

((let's play!))
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 28, 2015, 07:58:04 pm »

((Mmph, family emergency happened; will be posting later--destination: MedBay...as the local doctor.))

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 28, 2015, 08:00:51 pm »

"Would you like me to build a drone with a face? From what I understand, many organics have a deepseated fear of the Jugglers. Perhaps I should manufacture a body based on that race."

no,no,no. Juggler you seem to be confused. Our goal is not to scare them our goal is to establish friendly relations with them. If you want my opinion, I believe you should try to construct a body that looks like a sentient hunk of steak. After all, everyone loves meat
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 28, 2015, 08:04:52 pm »

((relax guys, all i managed to do was to get the door to open and close. I was setting up a door for a shop. Really not hacking, don't know why I used that word when it was more like programming. Technically it was still a computer though, just a tiny one that's sole purpose was to open and close a door according to a motion sensor. I did use electrical wiring for it, copper wire transmits electricity and data, so thus is an electrical wire.))
((can we go back to IC now? And maybe not shoot me down every word I type? I just wanna play the game. So in this case just forget all mentions of me hacking prior to this. I just thought of another justification i could use but I'm letting it go))

((let's play!))
((That's neither hacking nor programming. That's just electrical wiring.))

"Would you like me to build a drone with a face? From what I understand, many organics have a deepseated fear of the Jugglers. Perhaps I should manufacture a body based on that race."

no,no,no. Juggler you seem to be confused. Our goal is not to scare them our goal is to establish friendly relations with them. If you want my opinion, I believe you should try to construct a body that looks like a sentient hunk of steak. After all, everyone loves meat
"Don't feel like waking up with a RoboJuggler on your ceiling?"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 28, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »

(Just sayin', you guys are making a lot of assumptions from one thing...)

((Mmph, family emergency happened; will be posting later--destination: MedBay...as the local doctor.))
\o/
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 28, 2015, 08:12:59 pm »

I don't know how I'd react to a robojuggler on the ceiling. Now waking up with YOU on the ceiling, now that's scary.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2015, 08:18:25 pm »

I don't think they've made any assumptions at all, with the possible exception that strapping the janitor to a missile and firing in their general direction is a good idea.

Actual assumptions, pick and choose:
  • This is a message from the previous drones, which were S0 AI that have gone completely bonkers from a lack of space-nannies. We should prepare to be vandalised.
  • This is a message from a new species who got a garbled copy of our languages off the probes. We should reply to them.
  • Said aliens are insane religious fanatics. We should turn the ship around and go home.
  • Said aliens are slightly drugged merchants, trying to communicate that they're a good deal through the rainbow haze. We should buy all their stuff with crudely- written IOUs
  • This is somehow in the distant post-apocalyptic future and a cash for paint station is trying to woo us in with flattering remarks out albedo. We should ignore it
  • Alien modern artists are complementing us on our sweeping designs and nice paint job. We should ask them for a grant
  • This is a dream and we're still really in-transit. We should go deeper.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:23:04 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

armach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2015, 09:26:00 pm »

Makai unhardened the exterior shell that he had encapsulated himself in and began to re-sync with the ship. He then made his way to the ship's bridge and calls out on the PA system. "It is in our best interests to reply to the message before we risk the life of a crew member. We should also attempt to locate the source of the signal."     

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 01, 2015, 06:09:03 am »

Makai unhardened the exterior shell that he had encapsulated himself in and began to re-sync with the ship. He then made his way to the ship's bridge and calls out on the PA system. "It is in our best interests to reply to the message before we risk the life of a crew member. We should also attempt to locate the source of the signal."     

"Gee, could the source be the single point of light in all of nearby space? Surely not."

"But sure, let's check. Maybe it really is the ancient darkness that beckons us, though it doesn't seem likely."

Check source of signal, if possible.

"I'm disappointed we can communicate so easily. I was hoping for some totally alien things. Like, ineffable architects of the universe. Space gods. Now that they're speaking our language, it takes some portion of mystery out of the whole thing."

Send a quick reply.

Quote from: The Reply That Started It All, as the history books will have it
Greetings! Thank you!

We are new here. Are you the star in the distance? We are enticed by your radio signal, and applaud you for your mastery of interstellar dialects!

PRAISE

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 01, 2015, 04:06:42 pm »

On further analysis, the signal does not seem to have come from the star, but from some other patch of the darkness. Turning the telescope that way, they saw, dimly, a small planet of some kind, much closer than the two they'd noticed so far while looking at the star but still probably quite far. DAD Tym sent a brief response in that direction. It took 4 hours to receive a reply:

We did not expect a reply. Joy! Come closer that we may speak more easily/quickly.

These are our native dialects, though we did not know/understand. We are not a star. We are those who came before.

PRAISE THEM
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 01, 2015, 04:09:45 pm »

"I find their usage of capital letters sinister and disturbing, what about you guys? I think we're about to become the catch of the day."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 01, 2015, 04:11:08 pm »

Indigo looks surprised and excited.
"A new planet with sentient life AND they speak our language!? This is HUGE, What do you think their culture is? What do you think they want us to praise?"
Indigo says speeding up with each word.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 01, 2015, 04:14:03 pm »

"The chittering idiot god that seeks to devour all of sentient life, if we're lucky."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 01, 2015, 04:15:07 pm »

Indigo looks even more excited.
"AMAZING! DO YOU THINK WE CAN FIGHT IT!?"
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42