Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42

Author Topic: The Dark Star (Space game) [Who are "Them?"]  (Read 53498 times)

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
  • alchemy too stronk pls nerf
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (Space game) [Launched!]
« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2015, 03:50:13 pm »

"Technically, unless some civilziation ascends some kind of godhood or multiverse transportation, or other miracle technology we don't know about, everything here is going to die sooner or later. ...Well, almost everything."

((Because photons.

Also, isn't that the quote from that movie about the guy who almost started World War III?))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2015, 03:55:16 pm »

((Yes. It's called The War Games.))
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 16, 2015, 03:57:54 pm »

"Technically, unless some civilziation ascends some kind of godhood or multiverse transportation, or other miracle technology we don't know about, everything here is going to die sooner or later. ...Well, almost everything."

"That smacks of a lack of imagination. A society isolated from ours has two likely states, dude! One, primitives. Two, gods. The third, which is that they approximate our level of technology, is disastrously improbable. Why, that they're even a mere million years ahead or behind of us is stepping beyond any reasonable expectations. It's likely more!"

"That is, if there are aliens on the other side. There could just not be any, though considering the obvious case of foul play in terms of life proliferation in our corner of the universe, I'd say it's perfectly likely there would be some."

"That is, if the Dark Star takes us anywhere. It could not. We could just die. Maybe we're all totally dead right now, and the punitive afterlife we deserve manifests as an interminable approach to our goal while being surrounded by the incredibly dense and horrendously boring."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 16, 2015, 04:29:36 pm »

((I'll give Tiruin a couple more days (since TBH I'm still recovering from various things) but then I'm moving this along.))

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 16, 2015, 07:07:30 pm »

"The collective has interest in what created the object. This is the only abnormal stellar object known to the collective. No known theories can account for its existance. Likely artificial."

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #410 on: February 22, 2015, 12:14:25 am »

((I forgot my colors, Michael is navy and MIKE is navy-glow-cyan))

"Stop saying words I can't understand"

Opening dictionarial program

"How long until we either die horribly or go through the dark star?"
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2015, 06:23:40 am »

'It would be a most unsatisfactory and disappointing end to both our lives, the expedition and the careers of several eminent scientists if that were to be the course of fate we were to encounter, so I feel that it would be best not to dwell on a possibility of failure and therefore continue looking onwards with optimism, as we must be prepared for whatever may be beyond that sphere'
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2015, 03:21:57 pm »

((Alright, this updates by tonight at the latest. I hope Tiruin can get her post in, but if not we can always make it retroactive.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »

((Alright, this updates by tonight at the latest. I hope Tiruin can get her post in, but if not we can always make it retroactive.))
((Please make it be retroactive if possible, given my current and bloody annoying net condition. I've been searching back for when the recruiting occurred, but the pages move towards 'Loading...' or 'Connecting' in most times... :-\ I made a post that acknowledges your earlier OOC bit on me, but the browser crashed as well as all the related data getting wiped.
...Loading each page doesn't help as our net is the problem here. Sorry ahead!))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2015, 07:22:01 pm »

((It's fine! And you've still got some time - there are some things I must do today before I can update. If you want to read through, there's a link to the first IC post in the OP, but you should be fine with that summary I PM'd you. And making things retroactive is no problem, especially if RP'd as part of the ship's or crew member's log.))

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 23, 2015, 07:26:07 am »

Mission report: 5 days after arrival in Dark Star sphere of influence

With consultation between the Captain, the AI, and navigational officer Enzarl, an insertion burn was performed to place the Aelius on a shallow-angle entry course with the Dark Star, as soon as possible. Arrival now imminent.

In the time since arrival, the crew ran final checks of every on-board system, including themselves. No mission-threatening irregularities were discovered. Flight Officer Sound-Glorious-And-Bring-New-Life-Unto-Creation records fully operational condition in away-craft, and has secured it against trauma and vibrations the ship may experience upon entry. Ebony confirmed all stocks in the chem labs are present and correct according to the mission charter. Makai and S4 performed cursory mental and physical checkups on the rest of the crew (notes logged in confidential files). The AI noticed no faults in mechanical systems, except for a small irregularity in the hibernation suite a few hours ago. It seems to have corrected itself, and both sensory confirmation and Ra'sara's examination of the life-support systems shows no further irregularity since, but the area has been noted for increased monitoring.

[Additional observational data of Dark Star environs obtained from ship's sensor contained in tranmission.]

[Astonomical data from vantage point in Dark Star system collected from ship telescope and transmitted, as per request of sponsor-party-77A]

[Any personal messages from crew members included in encrypted subset.]

Transmission ends. Last reported communication from SS Aelius prior to entry into Dark Star.

(I've made some music for the occasion., but if you don't like it, here are some alternatives: 1 2 )

The wall of darkness approaches. It was impossible to tell how close it is with any precision or certainty, but when before it had seemed immense, now it was a field of black nothingness occupying half of the sky. Looking out the cameras that could still see the stars, one might almost think they stood on the dark side of a barren planet, staring up at the unobstructed night from a flat pitch-black ground. The sensors returned nothing. The scanning waves they threw disappeared into the field of darkness. Nothing.

The event horizon drew indeterminately nearer. How would they know when they crossed it? An event horizon admits nothing but in one direction, all inside shrouded by gravity, or whatever was at work here, but all that light would still be falling in, showing the outside. Hypothetically, anyway: it could not be known for sure without venturing inside, from where the knowledge would never leave. Except, perhaps, from this one. That's what they were there for after all. This one was different in other ways, perhaps there was a way out.

Suddenly, motion. The cameras showed the sky whirling, the sky whipping around at random angles until it settled. By the new positions of the stars, it was quickly calculated that the ship's path now pointed directly into the darkness, and yet the instruments registered no acceleration, no centripetal stress along the hull, no shifting of any masses or ballasts within: the ship had not rotated. But now the darkness rises, the black horizon grows to encompass more of the sky, until, within a few minutes, only a rapidly shrinking circle of the distant stars remains visible, and soon, it closes to nothing. There is only darkness in every direction.

This does not last long. A wave crashes over the ship: the cameras register pure white for a moment before they shut down or overload. Quickly, they divert more power to the magnetic shields, but the hull begins to rattle violently. The entire ship quakes, filled with the roaring noise transmitted to the atmosphere by the vibrating metal. The temperature outside climbed rapidly, alarmingly. The drones went in and out of contact, the lights flickered, the ship would surely be torn apart-

And then there was nothing.

The crew came to their senses. No one seemed injured, but they could not remember. There was the storm, and then nothing. There was an indeterminately long gap in the records of the ship's systems as well, which no chronometer on board seemed able to account for, as not only were the system clocks wiped but no one could remember the frame of reference for the mechanical clocks during the entry. Judging by biological functions, though, it couldn't have been more than a few hours.

Immediate checks revealed that most systems were still functional, though there seemed to be some damage and a full diagnosis would be needed. The AI had lost contact with 2/3 of the drones. Most of the hull cameras seemed still functional, just needing a rebooting, but some of them would need to be serviced. Immediate visual confirmation showed that 3/5 of the drones were still present, though unresponsive. Only a few of the unresponsive ones seemed to be heavily damaged, but there was minor to moderate damage amongst both them and the still responsive ones. More diagnosis would be needed. Plenty appeared undamaged, though.

Around the ship, in all directions, only darkness was visible. Except, that is, for a single, distant point of light.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dark Star (Space game) [Through the Horizon...]
« Reply #416 on: February 23, 2015, 07:37:31 am »

Ha, I knew the AI would get disabled at some point, but NOOO I was still considered useless! I'll show him!

Shamus tests his wings to see if he could fly,

If yes, then say
oh, it's been such a long time since I last flew. Wait, if the AI is disabled.... then maybe the doc might be to. Oh Queen I need to help him! Shamus flies to the doctor's office.

If no, then say So you go through the trouble to disable the AI but you can't disable the artificial gravity!! What kind of EMP are you. Wait, if the AI is disabled.... then maybe the doc might be to. Oh Queen! Someone needs to go to help him! Shamus runs on all 6's to the doctor's office
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 23, 2015, 07:44:32 am »

Reboot everything, check for system irregularities. Salvage totaled drones for parts. Repair unresponsive drones. Begin systematic sweep with drones and cameras to identify extent of damages. Repair anything possible. Diagnose all damage. Ensure all vital sustems are performing adequately.

After tending to those matters, the AI proceeds to do a diagnostic on itself and the Core. Noticing an abnormal amount of new data, it pings the data. ((Zal, this is your cue.))

"I'm not disabled you imbecile. The drones short circuited. They are rebooting. My Core is approximately six times as hardened then the rest of the ship. There has been an abnormal data buildup, however I am monitoring it. as well as rebooting everything."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:34 am »

"No instadeath. Good."

Check around for structural and cosmetic damage to both crew and corridors. Any peculiar things that are immediately evident?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2015, 09:53:35 am »

Indigo looks around confused for a few moments before finally speaking.
"... What's with that light?"
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42