Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Headset Advice  (Read 732 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Headset Advice
« on: January 23, 2015, 10:53:12 pm »

Recently, I was in possession of a Logitech G35 headset. It was fairly old, somewhat heavy, the faux-leather had mostly peeled off, and the cord (wrapped in fabric) was bulging in some weird ways (though the fabric - the plastic was intact). And the cable was way too long.

I loved them.

Then, I came to college, and the USB plug ended up under one of my chair legs. Just the metal part, and not sure how. I bent it back into shape (somewhat). Then... it happened again. This time, I bent it back into shape (kinda sorta), but they didn't connect again. May have damaged the actual connectors bending the plug back into shape, I dunno.

The biggest problem though?

They absolutely spoiled me for on-ear controls.

So now I'm looking for a new headset (or some way to cludge the old pair back to life - as far as I know, I might be able to with a new USB plug, some electrical tape, a pair of scissors, and a bit of know-how). I don't want something terribly expensive (sub-$100 preferred), but I really would like USB plug, on-ear controls, and preferably something non-faux-leather. Circumaural is an absolute must. Wireless, I couldn't care less (though it means the same issue is... unlikely to reoccur). Durability is also a must - I don't want to buy a new set anytime soon after this one.

What does Bay12 have to say?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:12:59 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
Re: Headset Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 11:04:16 pm »

Sennheiser headsets are usually very high quality for the price, but some should be handled carefully. That said, mine haven't broken for a few years, and they are a good fit.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Headset Advice
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:48:39 am »

Sennheiser headsets are usually very high quality for the price, but some should be handled carefully. That said, mine haven't broken for a few years, and they are a good fit.

That's a little more expensive than I'm willing to go.

On the topic of possibly bringing the old one back from the dead, a little bit of google-fu has told me that it should be possible to splice on a new connector. Might be able to save myself buying a new set.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.