Yeah I like the warmth
- 13 (26.5%)
No I don't like the style
- 7 (14.3%)
No, coats/other items are better
- 9 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: If you had ye olde cloke/robe, would you wear it in public?  (Read 9646 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: If you had ye olde cloke/robe, would you wear it in public?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 09:05:33 am »

LOLNO
I mean, I'd want to, but enough people around here think I'm a total weirdo for not following Football like it's my religion and RPing as a kid when everyone else was busy playing football, without being labeled as 'the cloak-wearing weirdo' as well.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 09:49:32 am »

* Mastahcheese proceeds to don 16 separate cloaks AND NOTHING ELSE, and carry around a two-handed sword.
FTFY

Also, I totally want this dudes getup:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, mostly the awesome coat.

And the swords.

That looks like it would take an hour to put on.

Also, white cloaks and robes somehow look more nerdy than black and brown ones.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:55:32 am »

I have a fairly nice cloak from that time when I had to dress up as Jon Snow. The fabric's a bit to thin for my taste though. I do still wear it from time to time, although without the fur, because it's just so warm otherwise.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 10:50:04 am »

Black and brown cloaks look more like they're intended to be practical. A full cloak is a very utilitarian garment, really, so making it a hard-to-clean colour is weird. It'd be like having white overalls while not being Morgan Freeman.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 01:00:52 pm »

The third picture looks good enough to be wearable. The first one is ugly as a... Very ugly thing. Would begets wear it.

The second one is a... Slightly tunic-esque shirt?
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 04:05:18 pm »

I'd love to get a greatcoat or somesuch. Mostly because these parts can get very windy in the winter, which combined with rain makes umbrellas more of a detriment than something useful.

A big ass coat on the other hand is the perfect thing for that kind of weather.

Also somewhat related, but I'd also love to get my hands on a brown leather coat of some sort.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 10:27:10 pm »

Dudes. Dudettes. Today I saw someone on main street wearing an actual cloak. He seemed to have a matching vest on underneath. A lot like this, only dark blue:

The weirdest part is, he didn't seem to be drawing many looks. In fact, I was the only one rudely staring for more than a few seconds. And no, it wasn't a graduation gown. Well, maybe it was, but it looked awfully medieval for a gown.

I couldn't tell if he was some weird nerd by looking at him. He was wearing it proud. No Dracula cloak-lifts or anything like that.

Then I thought about it. The weather today was negative three million degrees Celsius, and it wasn't raining. This guy was the only one without five coats on who wasn't shivering. Genius. Though he must have had other fabrics on to compensate. No way one cloak&vest can keep you that warm.

Cloakspiration of the day.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2015, 01:35:20 am »

I have a cape (medieval, Not superman),  and no, I dont wear it in public.

I asked my grandmother to make it for me almost 2 decades ago for halloween. I dug up an authentic pattern online (no easy task in the 90s), and she made it for me.  She has long since passed on.  I hang onto it for sentimental reasons.  Not a bad looking cape though.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2015, 09:12:17 am »

I would probably wear one, if I had one.

I know my mother wears hers about. its a tad small for me though.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2015, 10:55:00 am »

I'm a big fan of coats in general, with four different ones in rotation depending on the weather - two wool ones, a heavier one for -20 degrees celsius tier weather and another I'm wearing now-ish that works for everything from milder winter to early spring, a leather double-breasted trenchcoat that's a decade older than myself and a poly-cotton beige I don't really like, because it has a flap over the buttons that makes it look like a tan sack with arms.

Which brings me to a thing against robes - too... amorphous? for my tastes, and once they stop being so, well, they become a coat of some description.

Cloaks? Sure, I'd be cool with them - I mean, hell, I sometimes go out in a goddamn top hat I got for my birthday, the stares are more amusing than anything, but I don't have one and, goddammit, I love my coats.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:57 am »

Thus the "mostly just the coat" comment.
I don't really need the rest of the anime-esque 30 layers of belts and sock things, just the coat. The coat looks like it would be decently practical to put on, looks like a snappy thing with a built in belt. Not too difficult.

And I don't care how nerdy I look. NERD PRIDE!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2015, 01:50:31 pm »

The one time I wore a cloak in public was Halloween of senior year in HS. My school had a strict no costumes policy, but somehow I managed to make it all the way to 6th period before I got caught. I remember nearly making it to the class door when I heard "Uh, hey Mr. Lord of the forest!" (it was a big green cloak).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2015, 05:12:52 pm »

I'm not grown out quite enough for a ponytail yet and I wouldn't want to only half wear the look.
Shoes...

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2015, 06:58:53 pm »

I do have a coat that is the billowy and flowing type. My Mom made it for me for Christmas for one year since I hated when my ass gets cold from sitting down outside. The one I have now is the 3rd revision and she is making the 5th revision to my new one. I'll post a pic since I wanna show it off since my Mom is very talented and kind.

Also, YES I WOULD WEAR THE CLOAK SINCE I LOVE IT. Or maybe a mage/wizard outfit when I'm not going to work (loose clothes and machine tools dont mix).
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 12:20:38 am »

If I had one I might wear it on occasion to fuck with my buddies, but other than that? Never.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4