I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 660844 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7590 on: September 14, 2023, 10:04:02 am »

I have started noticing an interesting trend among Christians here, in Ukraine:

They envy and admire Muslims. I mean stuff like: " They actually pray regularly. Their mosques are always full. Their women are modest and chaste. They don't allow sodomy run rampart"  and similar BS. Is this a local phenomenon or do Christians in your countries have similar sentiments?

The conservative/regressive ones do, or some of them anyway. Depends on if they're more bothered by social liberalism or xenophobia.

Really when you get into the socially conservative sphere of religious people they all become pretty interchangable. A fundamentalist generally has more in common with fundamentalists of other faiths than with moderates of their own faith when it comes to actual social attitudes.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7591 on: September 14, 2023, 10:33:26 am »

Here in the southeastern US the Christians I've interacted with all think the Muslims are going to take over the country and start beheading people any day now, so no, I don't think that's very general or universal.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7592 on: September 14, 2023, 12:23:53 pm »

You do occasionally see them praising sharia law (or at least its implementation, if not when it's referred to by that exact term, ha) or whatev', though.

Like, they want to glass every muslim country on the planet, but they're envious of some of the theocratic policy or practices seen in some of them. So some degree of envy, yes, it's just envy that's part of a generally genocidal sentiment, so...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7593 on: September 14, 2023, 02:35:10 pm »

There's a difference between admiring devotion itself and admiring the object of that devotion.  Thing is, devotion itself isn't what really matters; it turns out the object of devotion is quite significant.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7594 on: September 14, 2023, 02:36:13 pm »

Even when it's explicitly just a different name for the same critter? :D

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7595 on: September 14, 2023, 02:49:29 pm »

Well, the catch is that Muslims believe it is the same critter but many Christians don't. Well, most Christians seem to believe that Mohammed was a charlatan and Allah isn't anything, but those who think it is something generally think it's some kind of demon pretending to be God. Like in Narnia. The only Christians I know of who do think it's the same critter are Universalists, and, let's be honest, they don't really count.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7596 on: September 14, 2023, 05:09:13 pm »

There's a difference between admiring devotion itself and admiring the object of that devotion.  Thing is, devotion itself isn't what really matters; it turns out the object of devotion is quite significant.
Devotion and not its object is the only thing to exist, however difficult it may be to quantify. and therefore matter.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7597 on: September 14, 2023, 11:18:34 pm »

Nope, haven't heard about that here.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7598 on: September 15, 2023, 04:36:07 am »

Nope, haven't heard about that here.
If you're referring to my post, I will revise my wording.

'Within the balance of probability, devotion and not its object is the only thing to exist, however difficult that devotion may be to quantify. Therefore it is the only thing to matter.'

Most religious folks will acknowledge that their worldview doesn't rank highly in terms of probability, simply that their faith stipulates it to be true anyway.

Regardless of faith, though, the real-world likelihood of most religious thought being correct is nearly zero, and this doesn't factor in the different layers of faith. From institutional, to national, to regional, to parish, to church, to individual etc.

The likelihood of an Irish Catholic from Ulster, living in Ballymoney and participating in the Parish of Ballymoney and Derrykeighan, attending Our Lady & St Patrick's Catholic Church, and with a personal cocktail of beliefs concerning, perhaps and among other things, the accuracy of saying 'this is the body of Christ'  ----  the likelihood of her being correct is technically possible, but not in a way that would register on any meaningful scale.

In this scenario, the object of her faith isn't important. But the fact of her devotion is.

Edit: Unless you're this guy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 04:48:09 am by TD1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7599 on: September 15, 2023, 05:42:11 am »

No I agree with you, I was responding to Strongpoint's question lol
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7600 on: September 15, 2023, 06:17:04 am »

Aha, yea, I wondered.

Cheers anywho.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7601 on: September 15, 2023, 10:53:57 am »

So it is a local phenomenon. Probably because we never had any major anti-Muslim propaganda on the state\church\party level and most Ukrainian Christians met exactly zero Muslims in their lives.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 10:56:22 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7602 on: September 15, 2023, 06:36:44 pm »

More the former than the latter, if anything. Most stateside christians have met exactly zero muslims in their lives, too (especially in any way that actually indicates they're islamic), but that doesn't stop the more rabid ones from publicly calling for bombing muslim population centers.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7603 on: September 19, 2023, 03:01:11 am »

I suppose this little vent rant fits the most in this thread.

I cannot understate how much of an embarrassment the Chick Tracts are. While he is of a broadly similar denomination to myself, there's a reason why the saying goes "the most vehement disagreements are between people who are not in total opposition". Actually no, that is being charitable. He is a moralizing, dogmatic, science-denying, fundamentalist. Catholics go to Hell, Orthodox go to Hell, non-denominationals go to Hell, non-fundamentalist Evangelicals go to Hell (with myself being in the fourth category). Only his little sect, with its bizarre interpretation of theology is worthy.

I still read them, to riff on them, because I think they're hilarious in a tragic way, or a "oh no I can't look away" way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7604 on: September 20, 2023, 09:03:27 am »

I suppose this little vent rant fits the most in this thread.

I cannot understate how much of an embarrassment the Chick Tracts are. While he is of a broadly similar denomination to myself, there's a reason why the saying goes "the most vehement disagreements are between people who are not in total opposition". Actually no, that is being charitable. He is a moralizing, dogmatic, science-denying, fundamentalist. Catholics go to Hell, Orthodox go to Hell, non-denominationals go to Hell, non-fundamentalist Evangelicals go to Hell (with myself being in the fourth category). Only his little sect, with its bizarre interpretation of theology is worthy.

I still read them, to riff on them, because I think they're hilarious in a tragic way, or a "oh no I can't look away" way.

The DnD ones however are all hella balls to the walls awesome

"DON'T TALK TO ME BLACKLEAF. YOUR CHAR DIED. YOU ARE DEAD"

10 panels later

Blackleaf's player has died. If you die in the game, you die in real life
Pages: 1 ... 505 506 [507] 508 509 ... 523