I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661326 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7290 on: April 29, 2023, 08:49:41 pm »

That and also generally taking Jesus' teachings to heart as much as I can. I'm still not applying them fully (see my previous violent meltdowns here), but I can't help but melt down sometimes because I have borderline personality disorder and mild autism.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: April 29, 2023, 08:59:04 pm »

That and also generally taking Jesus' teachings to heart as much as I can. I'm still not applying them fully

Applying them fully is hard to do.  It seems we humans always fall short and miss the mark - especially when compared to a higher ideal way of being.  But in the trying, failing, and trying again, there is a lot to be learned, and it does get easier.  Since ultimately, it is we who have to encourage ourselves, it's helpful to not beat ourselves up too harshly for imperfect results, but to just be satisfied with what we are able to do.  Like planting an acorn, and expecting an oak tree: at first, it's just a little sprout.  No height, no girth, no protective bark... Useless for most tree purposes.  Better to be patient and tend to it, allowing it to grow, than to smash it for not being a mature oak tree right now.  Positive changes in ourselves start small, and have to be nurtured (also by us) to grow. 

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: April 29, 2023, 09:27:41 pm »

Obviously, all patriarchal deities are bullshit.
If they had the strength to perpetuate their ideologies, they would do so.
As they did.
Now they don't.
Because half of us are women, and the time of the patriarchy has long since passed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: April 29, 2023, 10:19:19 pm »

That and also generally taking Jesus' teachings to heart as much as I can. I'm still not applying them fully

Applying them fully is hard to do.  It seems we humans always fall short and miss the mark - especially when compared to a higher ideal way of being.  But in the trying, failing, and trying again, there is a lot to be learned, and it does get easier.  Since ultimately, it is we who have to encourage ourselves, it's helpful to not beat ourselves up too harshly for imperfect results, but to just be satisfied with what we are able to do.  Like planting an acorn, and expecting an oak tree: at first, it's just a little sprout.  No height, no girth, no protective bark... Useless for most tree purposes.  Better to be patient and tend to it, allowing it to grow, than to smash it for not being a mature oak tree right now.  Positive changes in ourselves start small, and have to be nurtured (also by us) to grow. 
Yeah.

As they did.
Now they don't.
Because half of us are women, and the time of the patriarchy has long since passed.
My sect isn't patriarchal.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: April 30, 2023, 01:40:44 am »

My sect isn't patriarchal.

Yeah, It is nice that your sect chose to ignore the clearly patriarchal* structure of the Bible. I'd say it is a good step towards ignoring all of the Bible.

*Including the original meaning of the word - autocratic rule of the oldest male in a family\clan in which God is meant to be the oldest of all Men, the supreme despot
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: April 30, 2023, 01:43:15 am »

Lol

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: May 01, 2023, 05:00:37 am »

You found a welcoming and understanding community and started taking a conscious effort to improve your attitude, right?
Yeah, that is usual the case. People do all sort of things in pursuit of acceptance/approval, love/companionship, sense of purpose, fulfillment, etc. Often all we need is just something to keep us motivated or in more extreme case some structure to ground them and allow for some balance/distraction and opportunities for positive interactions.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 05:18:30 am by jipehog »

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: May 01, 2023, 05:17:18 am »

As they did.
Now they don't.
What do have faith in ?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7298 on: May 02, 2023, 07:39:56 pm »

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: May 02, 2023, 08:07:44 pm »

(sleepy)
I actually don't know, these days?  I actually have a lot more faith/hope in my life, but I'm not what one thing I most... "take strength from" or "prioritize most" or whatever meaning of faith we're talking about.

Despite everything I still have faith in people, I think.  People have so much potential, we grow and change and often for the better.  So I guess I'm still a secular humanist haha, as a general thing.
(I said "other people" at first, but nope!  I have faith in myself too now!)
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7300 on: May 03, 2023, 02:08:24 am »

[..]we grow and change and often for the better.[..]
Sound great. In the context of your last post I would like to emphasize this part, as I have been arguing against reductionist notion that religion is about god but a tapestry of cultural traditions. If you happen to like history there are some interesting material on how these traditions have been evolving and likely will continue to grow in one way or another as people shape it to their own needs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7301 on: May 03, 2023, 07:33:39 am »

I was thinking about something similar earlier today. A lot of Christians assume that religion shapes history, but I've always found that history shapes religion.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7302 on: May 03, 2023, 07:57:13 am »

I was thinking about something similar earlier today. A lot of Christians assume that religion shapes history, but I've always found that history shapes religion.

Both are true, you can't argue that a leader of an obscure apocalyptic Judaism sect, Jesus Christ, (and to a larger extent the later leader of the sect - Paul) didn't influence history. Same for Muhammed and others.

But religions mutate and adapt to the world, too. The current in-progress adaptation of Christianity is the acceptance of LGBT. It didn't arise in the church(es) as a result of internal theological discussion, it is the result of external secular forces.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7303 on: June 04, 2023, 06:14:56 pm »

Guys. Listen. This is stupid question, but it is also very, very important.

So, Apollo is an hot piece of ass the Olympian God of Youthful Radiance, Music, Medicine, and most importantly to this question, the Sun. He has a chariot that he uses to pull the sun across the morning sky. It is his gig. It is his job.

Then there is Helios, The Titan of the Sun. Literal personification of the sun itself. He is the sun.

Does this mean, Apollo drags Helios around the sky everyday? Like, is Helios literally tied to the chariot and flails around like a ribbon while Apollo rides the vessel in hypersonic speeds?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7304 on: June 04, 2023, 06:51:08 pm »

Yes, absolutely, and they're both very
hot
while doing it.

Never underestimate a twink!
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 523