I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661776 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7125 on: April 10, 2023, 09:23:48 am »

I have long since decided that my religious beliefs are immune to logic and thus I will never deconvert. There is no atheist argument that can convince me to, because I believe religion and secular stuff must be kept fully separate-- and that separation includes rationality. I apply it to science or beliefs opposed to Christianity however, in fact I am proud to be a skeptic.

Such a pure and honest example of special pleading.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: April 10, 2023, 09:49:54 am »

Yeah I am up front about it unlike some others.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7127 on: April 10, 2023, 05:37:37 pm »

Happy Easter; I thank God for every holiday I can sleep

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7128 on: April 10, 2023, 06:24:12 pm »

I have long since decided that my religious beliefs are immune to logic and thus I will never deconvert. There is no atheist argument that can convince me to, because I believe religion and secular stuff must be kept fully separate-- and that separation includes rationality. I apply it to science or beliefs opposed to Christianity however, in fact I am proud to be a skeptic.

Personal experience is hard to disprove.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: April 10, 2023, 06:33:07 pm »

Eh... is it? I've hallucinated plenty of the course of my life, congenital stuff means it's literally my baseline state of existence. Personal experience is really easy to disprove, especially when you're entirely aware it wasn't particularly real. Human brain glitches real easy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:34 pm »

That's very true, appearances can also be deceptive, and often my own opinions are quite unreliable.

Edit:
Personal experience is hard to disprove for certain things.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 07:40:59 pm by Schmaven »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: April 10, 2023, 07:38:37 pm »

It’s why reliance on eyewitness testimony is so chilling for the legal system.

Elizabeth Loftus has done a lot of work on it; I’m pretty sure she was among the authors of the paper that found changing the descriptive verb in a car crash (such as “crashed”, “collided”, or “touched”) resulted in people changing how fast they recall the vehicles going in a pre-recorded car crash the week before.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: April 10, 2023, 07:43:20 pm »

Still though... If you definitely know your brother of your whole life, and you watch him steal your car; there is no mistaking that fact no matter how much time passes (alzheimer's not withstanding).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: April 10, 2023, 08:03:21 pm »

Lot more than dementia, some of it as simple as poor lighting and a similar build, never mind actual cognitive impairment of some sort due to intoxication or something neurological, or eye problems of some sort. Human sensory interpretation just... flat fabricates a lot, we've found, even when it's in otherwise good shape.

I've mistaken random people for folks I lived with for well over a decade, just due to not being particularly close yet -- probably only three or four times in my life between them all, but it's happened more than once.

It's understandable how much trust folks put in their own senses -- you kinda' have to, to some degree, just to live -- but... past a certain point, that trust is probably unwarranted. It's definitely something I've internalized as true after hallucinating nonstop for the last 30+ years, heh, but it's just as true for folks that don't have conditions causing outright hallucinations. Just not as easy for them to notice.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: April 10, 2023, 08:51:02 pm »

Personal experience is hard to disprove.

It is not about personal experience. It is ignorance. As is a desire to ignore knowledge. She basically said "I decided that I'll keep believing even if proven wrong. "

You know, if Jesus will come to me tomorrow and have a chat with me proving his magical divine nature, I will consider that it may be an elaborate fake, a hallucination, or even games of some other supernatural entities but I'll have to change my assumed probabilities of things being true.

My personal problem with people who claim personal experience with supernatural of any kind is not even the possibility of hallucinations or another glitch of a human brain. How do they know which supernatural they felt? What is their methodology to determine if they had a chat with Jesus or Satan playing Jesus? Or perhaps it was Zeus or Ra? Or some small spirit.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: April 10, 2023, 08:53:58 pm »

I meant more the sort of personal experience like 'the more I look for good qualities in others, the more kindly I regard them' than 'Thor showed me his hammer'

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: April 10, 2023, 10:53:39 pm »

I meant more the sort of personal experience like 'the more I look for good qualities in others, the more kindly I regard them' than 'Thor showed me his hammer'

Do you mean something like "I feel good being a Christian therefore Christianity is true"?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: April 11, 2023, 04:52:52 am »

Do you mean something like "I feel good being a Christian therefore Christianity is true"?

I don't know much about Christianity to be honest.  What I mean is that the spiritual teachings I have applied in my life have worked, and work repeatably, so for me, those teachings are true and effective.  No one can convince me they don't work for me, because I have personally experienced them work over and over.  The mechanism by which they function however is certainly up for debate.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: April 11, 2023, 04:59:16 am »

Ah, the thing is: I'd stop believing if it was really disproven (somehow). But it can't, so the only way to convince me to deconvert would be non-objective arguments. And since I made up my mind on my ideology and philosophy by now...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: April 11, 2023, 10:46:12 am »

I don't know much about Christianity to be honest.  What I mean is that the spiritual teachings I have applied in my life have worked, and work repeatably, so for me, those teachings are true and effective.  No one can convince me they don't work for me, because I have personally experienced them work over and over.  The mechanism by which they function however is certainly up for debate.

Or you persuaded yourself that they work and have a heavy confirmation bias.

And of course, some of the ancient wisdom do work. Suff like "if you are acting like a jerk towards others you will suffer" is true but there is no need for the supernatural to explain it.

Ah, the thing is: I'd stop believing if it was really disproven (somehow). But it can't, so the only way to convince me to deconvert would be non-objective arguments. And since I made up my mind on my ideology and philosophy by now...

God-creator as a concept can't be disproven*, soul and afterlife can't be disproven but Christianity and its dogmas? Why exactly can't it be disproven? What makes it immune to disproval? Besides - "I won't accept any proof because of magic"?

*I'll never understand why what is asserted without evidence should not be dismissed without evidence and requires any disproval
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 523