I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 666837 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6750 on: September 05, 2020, 07:41:30 pm »

If the holy spirit represents the thing which gives you sympathy for fellow humans, than blasphemy against it would be psychopathy, I guess?

Another interpretation would see the Holy Spirit as the driving force for evangelicism, which makes blasphemy a bunch of stuff that could interfere with that.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: September 07, 2020, 07:16:14 am »

Man, bloody Jeffress. Walk by the TV, words come out of his mouth, and I'm not paraphrasing, "The only thing the world can see of God is the Church."

And I'm just, like. Fuck off, you blasphemous little shitgoblin. I'm not even Christian and the sheer fucking heresy of the statement and the crap that man was spewing related to it was just outright offensive.

Swear half the time I walk by the christian broadcast network or whatever it is and that man's on, the same level of shite is being laid out, too. If that's the kind of priesthood modern christianity is supporting, it's no bloody wonder attendance and whatnot is dropping.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: September 07, 2020, 09:12:41 am »

Man, bloody Jeffress. Walk by the TV, words come out of his mouth, and I'm not paraphrasing, "The only thing the world can see of God is the Church."
Now that's one horrifying picture, given what the world occasionally sees happening in the Church.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:16:05 am by HmH »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: September 07, 2020, 10:58:33 am »

I am not familiar with this Jeffress person. 

That said: that's usually the point of statements like "the only thing people can see of God is the church."  It's basically saying - "why are you surprised when the world has such animosity / thinks so poorly of Christians, when all they see is how the people claiming to be Christians behave?"

Or maybe I'm missing what's wrong or incorrect about the statement?

It's not surprising either; a large part of Jesus' teachings were the same kind of statement directed at the religious folk of the day.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6754 on: September 07, 2020, 11:23:52 am »

You're absolutely wrong regarding how the shitgoblin was presenting it, yes. It was more Church is most blessed and has had great things and authority bestowed it by God, God shows itself only through the church, etc., etc., etc. There was not a single ounce of humility or what you're talking about.

And it's Robert Jeffress, televangelist, american megachurch pastor, Fox news contributor, pathways to victory guy, heard all over the bloody world. Regularly hosted by the Christian Broadcasting Network. Be glad you're not familiar with him.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: September 07, 2020, 12:02:50 pm »

Ah ugh. Yeah saying "You can only know God if you get it from this particular church" is really ... well, it's part of the type of nonsense that is called out by Jesus' teachings.

It's just sad.  Well, beyond sad really.  Sadly we don't have respected religious leaders to call this sort of thing out...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: September 07, 2020, 02:01:31 pm »

We really just need to keep a clone of Jesus around.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: September 07, 2020, 02:34:31 pm »

Or embrace peganism.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: September 07, 2020, 03:18:05 pm »

Or embrace peganism.
I haven't been able to google that term, so I have to ask: do you mean a mixture of paganism and veganism, or of paganism and pegging?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 03:20:33 pm by HmH »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: September 07, 2020, 03:41:15 pm »

I'm just waiting for Wilbur Mercer to arrive.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6760 on: September 07, 2020, 04:52:41 pm »

Or embrace peganism.
I haven't been able to google that term, so I have to ask: do you mean a mixture of paganism and veganism, or of paganism and pegging?
You cinfuze me with for somebody who knows how to spell.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: September 07, 2020, 05:24:39 pm »

Or embrace peganism.
You cinfuze me with for somebody who knows how to spell.
My brain autocorrected to paganism, then HmH free my attention to the misplaced e in peganism. Thank you IPad/Siri/autocorrect algorithm.

I wonder if the AIs we create will develop religions of their own

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: September 07, 2020, 06:31:39 pm »

The allmaighty lord manteau.
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: September 07, 2020, 08:47:05 pm »

You're absolutely wrong regarding how the shitgoblin was presenting it, yes. It was more Church is most blessed and has had great things and authority bestowed it by God, God shows itself only through the church, etc., etc., etc. There was not a single ounce of humility or what you're talking about.

And it's Robert Jeffress, televangelist, american megachurch pastor, Fox news contributor, pathways to victory guy, heard all over the bloody world. Regularly hosted by the Christian Broadcasting Network. Be glad you're not familiar with him.

I find this extremely hilarious actually.  It speaks volumes for how unfamiliar with their own religious corpus these "adherents" are, that this man is trying to rouse to his cause. 

Multiple references exist in the bible, both old and new testaments, stating that God's work is highly visible in all natural things. If I really felt inclined, I would compile a list, but I'm really not. 

Edit:

Here, take for example, the rhetoric used by JESUST H. FUCKING CHRIST HIMSELF, in Mathew 6, 25 - 34.

Quote from: JESUS H CHRIST
25“This is why I tell you to never be worried about your life, for all that you need will be provided, such as food, water, clothing—everything your body needs. Isn’t there more to your life than a meal? Isn’t your body more than clothing?
26“Look at all the birds—do you think they worry about their existence? They don’t plant or reap or store up food, yet your heavenly Father provides them each with food. Aren’t you much more valuable to your Father than they? 27So, which one of you by worrying could add anything to your life?
28“And why would you worry about your clothing? Look at all the beautiful flowers of the field. They don’t work or toil, 29and yet not even Solomon in all his splendor was robed in beauty more than one of these! 30So if God has clothed the meadow with hay, which is here for such a short time and then dried up and burned, won’t he provide for you the clothes you need—even though you live with such little faith?
31“So then, forsake your worries! Why would you say, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear?’ 32For that is what the unbelievers chase after. Doesn’t your heavenly Father already know the things your bodies require?
33“So above all, constantly chase after the realm of God’s kingdom and the righteousness that proceeds from him. Then all these less important things will be given to you abundantly. 34Refuse to worry about tomorrow, but deal with each challenge that comes your way, one day at a time. Tomorrow will take care of itself.”

Yes-- Obviously, Jesus felt that God only presents himself through the priesthood. OBVIOUSLY!!

SMH
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:51:29 pm by wierd »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: September 07, 2020, 09:10:17 pm »

Also Paul's famous comment about Yahweh revealing himself in nature, "so that they have no excuse."

Also, "the heavens declare the glory of God," etc.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 09:13:11 pm by Eschar »
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 523