I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663565 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3150 on: October 24, 2015, 09:28:45 am »

REPENT for your STRAWman beFORE it is TOO LATE you FACEbook HYPOCRITES of BABYLON

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: October 24, 2015, 09:33:33 am »

Look, Facebook itself is already internet VD. They didnt call syphillis the "Social disease" for nothing you know.

It is not suprising that it harbors the most vile intellectual filth that humans can concieve of. Really. Aggregating and concentrating "Like minded" people and their vitriol is like, kinda its purpose for existing. (aside from the obvious, which is to make Mark Zuckerberg filthy fricken rich of course.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:37:32 am by wierd »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: October 24, 2015, 11:30:01 am »

"Like minded" people

You. YOU, sir! You have just been awarded the Noble Prize in Applied Punnery.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: October 29, 2015, 10:10:13 am »

I'm doing an assessment on the 4th century bishops and their invective against heathen emperors.

Under Constantius Arianism (belief that God and Jesus are separate) was supported, interestingly, and this was accepted by the Nicene Council (barring the odd one exiled for their blasphemy) and many other Christians.

Shows what a fine line we walk between "blasphemy" and fact.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3154 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:34 pm »

Shows what a fine line we walk between "blasphemy" and fact.
Relevant?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: November 05, 2015, 04:13:38 pm »

Going to throw bit quite a toxic bomb here, but according to this study, religious children are less likely to share with others than non-religious children. further more, this correlation strengthen as the child gets older (Having longer time under religious influence) and for children from deeper religious households.

The theoretical assumption this study suggest as to the causation is by indicating that while religious children are less likely to share with others, they identify themselves as more moral than non-religious children (A notion they share with their parents) and as a result, do not feel the need to share with others as they are already moral enough (In their own opinion).

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3156 on: November 05, 2015, 04:27:02 pm »

Interesting.

(Having longer time under religious influence)

Not actually studied, as far as I can tell. Pretty sure they'd need to test with kids of that age who'd swapped religions or something to be sure.

Can't say I think they come off as particularly neutral, but eh.

It would be interesting to see how this relates to geography, as well. I feel like the Islamic group would tend to draw more heavily from the Middle East, but I have absolutely nothing to back that up.

It's a bit disheartening. Plenty of people screwing up a fundamental message of Christianity.

And with that, I think I might be filtering this thread out of my replies for a bit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:38:51 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: November 05, 2015, 04:39:41 pm »

Going to throw bit quite a toxic bomb here, but according to this study, religious children are less likely to share with others than non-religious children. further more, this correlation strengthen as the child gets older (Having longer time under religious influence) and for children from deeper religious households.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what these people are saying. Sampling bias hits this pretty hard, with almost all of the irreligious children coming from the wealthiest countries they sampled from.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: November 05, 2015, 04:48:06 pm »

I wouldn't put too much stock in what these people are saying. Sampling bias hits this pretty hard, with almost all of the irreligious children coming from the wealthiest countries they sampled from.
How can you tell?  A lot of this is greek to me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: November 05, 2015, 08:12:22 pm »

That kind of sounds accurate throughout history. It seems that the more persecuted Christians are, the more firm the believers get and Christianity will spread stronger (but not faster) But once it's less persecuted, it spreads much faster, but not very strong if you know what I mean. I guess that when Christianity is suddenly persecuted, it will die off a large amount, but if it is suddenly "liberated" (like during Constantine) it spreads like crazy. That's just what I'm thinking.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3160 on: November 05, 2015, 08:42:18 pm »

A lot of the spread post-Constantine was political. Suddenly, instead of being barred from public office (iirc), Christians were suddenly the only group eligible for it. So the nobility and senate flocked to the new official religion. And then status quo ensued for another thousand or so years, in all the countries born out of Rome's collapse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3161 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:34 pm »

A lot of the spread post-Constantine was political. Suddenly, instead of being barred from public office (iirc), Christians were suddenly the only group eligible for it. So the nobility and senate flocked to the new official religion. And then status quo ensued for another thousand or so years, in all the countries born out of Rome's collapse.
Except for all the countries now full of protestants, new popetm catholicism, everyone in the east, all the meditteranean muslim countries and so on

That kind of sounds accurate throughout history. It seems that the more persecuted Christians are, the more firm the believers get and Christianity will spread stronger (but not faster) But once it's less persecuted, it spreads much faster, but not very strong if you know what I mean. I guess that when Christianity is suddenly persecuted, it will die off a large amount, but if it is suddenly "liberated" (like during Constantine) it spreads like crazy. That's just what I'm thinking.
Unsurprisingly suppressing a religion reaffirms its believers and tolerating it allows its proselytizers to spread it, this isn't unique to Christianity m8 this is how all ideologies work and it doesn't even always work like that
If the Saudi Arabians stopped killing missionaries I don't think there'd be an explosion in Christian conversions any time soon

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: November 05, 2015, 10:30:13 pm »

Unsurprisingly suppressing a religion reaffirms its believers and tolerating it allows its proselytizers to spread it

I think the solution may be to laugh at them
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: November 05, 2015, 10:32:44 pm »

Unsurprisingly suppressing a religion reaffirms its believers and tolerating it allows its proselytizers to spread it

I think the solution may be to laugh at them
I think that's the same as suppressing it.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: November 05, 2015, 10:43:13 pm »

It doesn't create martyrs. Not proper martyrs at any rate; if done perfectly many may die by their own hands
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 523