I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663908 times)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #2880 on: September 11, 2015, 05:18:57 pm »

how is that in any way a consolation
thincake

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: September 11, 2015, 05:21:22 pm »

Pretty sure from the christian perspective it's the exact opposite from a consolation, since that state largely entails damnation to the religion, with saving people from that being one of the core tenants. So not only is it a tragedy, it's a failure from a spiritual perspective in allowing the unsaved to die.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2882 on: September 11, 2015, 05:23:32 pm »

I'm bad at jokes.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: September 11, 2015, 05:27:23 pm »

A good one would involve a chicken and three crates of whiskey, not sudden crane death.
thincake

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: September 11, 2015, 05:29:14 pm »

Pff.  Ispil's consolation was funny, and OW's was funny (assuming one realized it was satire).
But yes Frumple you've pointed out the major fridge-logic of Christianity.  I don't blame you, because most people don't seem to get it.

Those who get it, and stay Christian, are fucking terrifying.  They mean well, but they live a horror.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: September 11, 2015, 05:30:36 pm »

A good one would involve a chicken and three crates of whiskey, not sudden crane death.
Well. It can involve sudden crane death, so long as it's the crane that's dying. Presumably the chicken ate it, the ravenous little dinosaur bastards.

e:VVV That's the joke, yes. Bird crane not giant metal crane.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 05:34:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: September 11, 2015, 05:33:29 pm »

Depends what sort of crane too.
thincake

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: September 15, 2015, 04:22:28 pm »

You know, OW, I only just now noticed you wondering about that quote in the OP. I originally posted it (though I don't remember where), but I'm about 95% certain it was deleted. RedKing (IIRC) had it in his sig, paraphrased for the sake of length, for a while, but not any more. I regret to inform you that it's lost to the annals of history, but the good news is that it's not much of a loss -- it was eminently unremarkable, just a metaphor with a bonfire, gasoline cans, and people.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: September 15, 2015, 11:48:47 pm »

You know, OW, I only just now noticed you wondering about that quote in the OP. I originally posted it (though I don't remember where), but I'm about 95% certain it was deleted. RedKing (IIRC) had it in his sig, paraphrased for the sake of length, for a while, but not any more. I regret to inform you that it's lost to the annals of history, but the good news is that it's not much of a loss -- it was eminently unremarkable, just a metaphor with a bonfire, gasoline cans, and people.  :P

If you can point me to a file search program that can search inside of .mht and .maff files I might be able to find it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:50:24 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: September 16, 2015, 08:05:32 am »

I've been reading Hume lately, and I quite like his debunking of both the anthropic principle and teleological argument.

To sum it up in his words:
Many worlds might have been botched and bungled throughout an eternity, ere this system was struck out: much labour lost: many fruitless trials made: and a slow, but continued improvement carried on during infinite ages in the art of world-making
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: September 25, 2015, 10:04:48 pm »

Hey guys! I'm back. Been gone for a while. Did you miss me?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2891 on: September 26, 2015, 04:11:42 am »

The answer to that question origamiscienceguy is grisha5

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2892 on: September 26, 2015, 04:13:05 am »

It's kinda hard to tell when basically nothing has happened in the thread since August.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2893 on: September 26, 2015, 04:27:55 am »

Speaking of which, for the few who haven't heard there was a crush in Mecca that killed 700 people. It's like our Football crush but on crack, apparently these things happen every few years since it's not as safe as it could be
Also Prince Khaled al-Faisal blamed African muslims for the crush whilst just about everyone else said it was more to do with authorities not doing anything smart

Crushes are weird things, people don't die because it's a stampede, they die because the cumulative force of thousands of people pressing forwards means that the people in the front of the crush have forces strong enough to bend steel (not exaggerating) on their abdomens - all under the Saudi sun. You can't breathe under that. Only way to stop it is to make sure it never happens with strong crowd control and clear paths ensuring safe entry and exit; I wonder why the Saudis haven't taken this more seriously as thousands have died already and thousands more will die needlessly until they do so
A lot of these things happen in Saudi Arabia around choke points like tunnels and bridges or events like the stoning of the devil; their worst event alone killed 1,400 people after they got stuck in a tunnel with no ventilation
Of all the ways to go this is not the best one; honestly it boggles me the sheer scale of death - I would've expected 70 killed not 700

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: September 26, 2015, 09:21:21 am »

Speaking of which, for the few who haven't heard there was a crush in Mecca that killed 700 people. It's like our Football crush but on crack, apparently these things happen every few years since it's not as safe as it could be
Also Prince Khaled al-Faisal blamed African muslims for the crush whilst just about everyone else said it was more to do with authorities not doing anything smart

Crushes are weird things, people don't die because it's a stampede, they die because the cumulative force of thousands of people pressing forwards means that the people in the front of the crush have forces strong enough to bend steel (not exaggerating) on their abdomens - all under the Saudi sun. You can't breathe under that. Only way to stop it is to make sure it never happens with strong crowd control and clear paths ensuring safe entry and exit; I wonder why the Saudis haven't taken this more seriously as thousands have died already and thousands more will die needlessly until they do so
A lot of these things happen in Saudi Arabia around choke points like tunnels and bridges or events like the stoning of the devil; their worst event alone killed 1,400 people after they got stuck in a tunnel with no ventilation

And yet they keep going there. This tells you pretty much all you need to know about western religion
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 523