I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 664169 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2580 on: July 23, 2015, 10:12:52 am »

The point I'm making is specifically countering omnipotence though, not God as a whole. Omnipotence as a concept is meaningless because it can't exist.

...that's not an argument. And as I said, that's like saying differentiation is meaningless because the gradient of a graph at a point can't exist.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: July 23, 2015, 10:13:22 am »

I actually hate the rock question, it's silly.  God could create the rock, then be unable to lift it.  He'd no longer omnipotent, but there's no contradiction.  Then maybe he could delete the rock and be omnipotent again.  It doesn't really matter...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: July 23, 2015, 10:18:44 am »

It's silly because omnipotence is silly. It doesn't work, and I've yet to see anyone tell me how it actually could short of saying it just does.

More iron chariots.

You mentioned before that you doubted God's omniscience Arx, do you doubt His omnipotence too?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: July 23, 2015, 10:24:28 am »

It's silly because omnipotence is silly. It doesn't work, and I've yet to see anyone tell me how it actually could short of saying it just does.

Not to be 2edgyFedoraMe about this, but isn't the basis of God "The Impossible"? Is there a reasonable conclusion of God created the universe, other than 'he just did'? How he formed life? You can tie scientific reasons into how God did what the Bible said he did, but then he's no longer God. He's just a manifestation of natural processes.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: July 23, 2015, 10:46:21 am »

Think of it this way: There's no real reason why God couldn't have created the universe (assuming He exists, I mean, we aren't exactly sure from a purely atheist perspective either), however, there are many reasons why He couldn't be Omnipotent. Or Omniscient for that matter, or omnibenevolent, or immutable, or perfect, or... The list goes on for a bit wronger.

My personal... Belief, is that if the Christian God does indeed exist then He's 'simply' just a very-powerful-being, on a universe-buster scale, and the various things attributed to Him are just massively over exaggerated.
The circle is complete.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: July 23, 2015, 10:53:59 am »

hilarious revisionism

I find this particularly a) offensive and b) arrogant. Unless you actually read Hebrew, and have read the original passage, you aren't in a position to say whether a translation is revisionist.
Okay yeah, that was disrespectful of me.  Sorry.

Here's the closest I'll probably ever be to reading the original Hebrew:
http://biblehub.com/text/judges/1-19.htm
Seems to put all the focus on God, just like all but the most recent translations agree.  But you're right that I don't know Hebrew.  It's just a suspiciously convenient change.

But what I should have focused on is that the edit doesn't resolve the underlying issue.  God was with Judah, and granted them victory over the mountain people.  But He or they failed to drive out the valley people.  Specifically because of iron chariots.  It strongly implies God was at least still helping them, so I argue this is still evidence of God failing.

Also I still think that this god doesn't act anything like Jesus or Jesus's father.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: July 23, 2015, 10:57:09 am »

And the issue always comes down to faith... What a terrible thing, indeed.

The circle is complete.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2587 on: July 23, 2015, 11:18:57 am »

More iron chariots.

You mentioned before that you doubted God's omniscience Arx, do you doubt His omnipotence too?

Much as I fear I may go blind from quoting myself,

And honestly, I mostly agree with you guys about the omnipotence. Particularly given things like the variant translations of pankratos and all that.

I think you'll find I've already answered that question. I do still hold that from a human standpoint He might as well be, physically and in many ways metaphysically, but the Bible suggests Almighty just means really frickin' mighty.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: July 23, 2015, 11:47:32 am »

Do you think the bible is the only way to know God?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: July 23, 2015, 12:32:40 pm »

Do you think the bible is the only way to know God?
First you need to answer the question of "Is the bible a way to know God"

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: July 23, 2015, 12:41:39 pm »

I think we should try to understand God (and ourselves) through reality (and again, through ourselves, first), IMHO, before trying to understand God through a text or teaching of some sort, such as the Bible. To do it backwards often means not quite understanding what you're reading and then misinterpreting reality, which is even worse.

This is obviously, easier said than done, but the backwards path often leads to terrible things.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:54:21 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2591 on: July 23, 2015, 04:28:25 pm »

But we can't understand reality, it is too big for our minds to comprehend.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: July 23, 2015, 05:22:14 pm »

Better to spend ages searching for answers in ourselves and the universe (at the same time) than to risk misinterpreting a doctrine and stunting our (spiritual and scientific) growth. Well, at least that's how I see it, and since its my personal opinion (and experience), I cannot claim it is right and true.

This is why I'm no atheist, but certainly not a proper Christian according to most doctrines. I believe (emphasis in believe, as in, I don't know if this is true or even properly reasonable) that we should look for evidence of God and the divine in ourselves and the universe, and the first step to this is admitting that, in the grand scheme of the cosmos, we don't really know much of anything, and that quite a lot we know and take for granted (from both science and religion, in several ways) is based on speculation and relies a lot on our imperfect senses and awareness.

As such, (again, I believe) taking anything for granted, either by refusing to accept the existence of God because we cannot perceive it; or by completely assuming we are absolutely right in regards to God because we interpreted  and understood (with our limited senses and awareness) a source of information attributed to Him in a way or another, means imposing limitations on your awareness and stunting your growth as a living mind.

I'm not really an agnostic, though, since I do believe in God and the divine, I just admit that, currently, I do not have enough awareness to claim it to be real. Faith, after all, doesn't mean knowing something to be true, in an empirical sense, but feeling that something is true. Some feel it, some don't, its part of our nature regardless.

As badly worded as it is, this is roughly what I believe in.

If the fundie protestant view of hell is true though, I'm prob kinda fucked, but whatever :v
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:23:56 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: July 23, 2015, 11:41:47 pm »

Quote from: Judges 1:19
And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
The NIV version changes it to "they" couldn't drive them out, for obvious reasons, but even that hilarious revisionism doesn't really address the issue.

This is now one of my favorite bible verses, (along with Ecclesiastes 1:2, Ecclesiastes 3:19, and the fake passage from Ezekiel in Pulp Fiction)

EDIT:
Also the story of Daniel Vs. Bel and the Dragon

EDIT:
Also Mathew 23:23 and 23:13

EDIT:
And Ecclesiastes 1:15, 1:18,  4:13, and 7:20, 9:1-6, 9:10-12, and of course 12:8
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 12:55:08 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: July 24, 2015, 12:11:10 am »

My favourite is Genesis 11:8.

Quote from: BIBBLES
The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 523