I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661672 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #2415 on: July 03, 2015, 02:22:25 am »

This is the passage that people generally cite when calling Islam inherently violent. Taken from this.

One translation of the above refers to this passage, so I'll include it.

Spoiler: Surat At-Tawbah (9:36) (click to show/hide)

It's late and I don't have any meaningful commentary to contribute except that they both give the overwhelming impression that something was lost in translation, but there they are at any rate.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:32:57 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 03, 2015, 04:34:04 am »

Truthfully told, the existence of religion in and of itself is a catalyst for violence. That isn't to say it would not happen otherwise, as often it is merely used as a bad justification for actions people would likely commit otherwise, or that it is the fault of the religious people themselves (atheists and so forth can be just as bad in the 'holy crusade' mindset.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 03, 2015, 05:43:40 am »

Truthfully told, the existence of religion in and of itself is a catalyst for violence. That isn't to say it would not happen otherwise, as often it is merely used as a bad justification for actions people would likely commit otherwise, or that it is the fault of the religious people themselves (atheists and so forth can be just as bad in the 'holy crusade' mindset.)
To paraphrase a certain ancient satirist, it may be of interest to those studying the chemistry of religions that at the point of contact of two religions a large amount of lead is precipitated.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 03, 2015, 11:01:00 am »

If you have the word of God behind you, who's to judge your holy intentions.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 03, 2015, 01:54:02 pm »

'Holy' is another way of saying arrogant.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: July 03, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »

And 'atheist' is another way of saying self-righteous, but that isn't a very constructive thing to say is it?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 03, 2015, 02:21:01 pm »

"Atheist" means not knowing a thing (the existence of God).  It's inherently humble, though I agree some anti-theists get pretty pushy.
"Holy" means...  I honestly don't know actually.  Depends on the religion I guess.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 03, 2015, 02:23:27 pm »

"Atheist" means not knowing a thing (the existence of God)

No it doesn't. It means not being a theist aka, being an unbeliever. Nowadays it's mostly used to refer to people who don't follow any religious creed. Back in the day it could be used to refer to people who did not conform to the speaker's religious creed (eg: ancient Christians got called "atheists" for not taking part in the Roman Imperial Cult)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 03, 2015, 02:31:48 pm »

I think that's what I meant?
An atheist is a non-theist.  An atheist isn't convinced there is a God.  People are atheist by default, just by not being sure.
I didn't mean to imply that Atheists were wrong by definition, that'd be silly.

Whereas anti-theists are convinced that there isn't a God, which is a positive claim.  Even Dawkins isn't technically an anti-theist, but he does clarify that he considers the existence of gods extraordinarily unlikely.  Just theoretically possible, like brain-in-jar scenarios.

I think strict anti-theism is fundamentally wrong, which I think makes me an agnostic atheist.  I'm with Dawkins on the odds of there actually being a deity, though.  Particularly any of the conceptions of god/gods humanity is aware of.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 03, 2015, 02:32:34 pm »

"Holy" means...  I honestly don't know actually.  Depends on the religion I guess.
Isn't 'holy' generally a synonym for 'sanctified'? So, 'set apart'?
thincake

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: July 03, 2015, 02:33:51 pm »

I think that's what I meant?
An atheist is a non-theist.  An atheist isn't convinced there is a God.  People are atheist by default, just by not being sure.
I didn't mean to imply that Atheists were wrong by definition, that'd be silly.

Whereas anti-theists are convinced that there isn't a God, which is a positive claim.  Even Dawkins isn't technically an anti-theist, but he does clarify that he considers the existence of gods extraordinarily unlikely.  Just theoretically possible, like brain-in-jar scenarios.

I think strict anti-theism is fundamentally wrong, which I think makes me an agnostic atheist.  I'm with Dawkins on the odds of there actually being a deity, though.  Particularly any of the conceptions of god/gods humanity is aware of.

This is a fact oft misunderstood by many theists, and needs highlighting.
This is a blank sig.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: July 03, 2015, 03:35:06 pm »

I think the term you were looking for is "agnostic".

Much like atheist means "Not a theist", agnostic means "not knowing."  It comes from the word gnosis, meaning knowledge.

The default condition is not having knowledge. (and through that absence of knowledge, not having any belief in any particular god)   

Much like the distinction you are making, (hard vs soft atheism), there is a distinction between agnostics as well.  Hard agnostics, like myself, assert from a purely logical point of view that knowledge of a supernatural god is impossible, and thus anyone stating that they know such knowledge is spreading falsehoods. This includes affirmative statements against the existence of such entities.  Rather than take such a positive position on the debate, the hard agnostic states that the question is worthless to even bother with, and just ignores it as irrelevant.  The soft agnostic however, simply has never encountered any information at all about any particular god, and thus by default has no knowledge. (For instance, the absence of knowledge I have about any belief systems that extra-terrestrials might have. I have never met an ET, so I have no clue whatsoever about what ET believes.) Soft agnostics have the potential to become either theists or atheists, depending on circumstances. (ET could come down from the sky and share the great virtues of the Juffo-Whup, and win them over for instance.) Hard agnostics do not, having consciously chosen to ignore the issue completely, due to its irrationality.

It is my argument, as a hard agnostic, that hard atheists and devout theists are both "equally wrong" in their assertions of knowing something about a divinity.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: July 03, 2015, 03:37:31 pm »

And 'atheist' is another way of saying self-righteous, but that isn't a very constructive thing to say is it?

I meant the 'holy' used in the context Laptism gave.

And you think atheists are self righteous? Meh, I suppose a few are. I like to think I'm not, but I'd be the last to know :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: July 03, 2015, 03:42:31 pm »

Not all atheists are self-righteous.

Not everyone who is "holy" is also arrogant.

Making such an obviously false assertion is either indication of delusionment, or of hypocrisy, given the subject matter.

"Holy" means that you hold a higher, "spiritualist" ideal.  It does not need to relate to gods or other divine beings. Running a soup kitchen simply to help the people that cannot afford food, and thus help society as a whole, as a higher ideal, can be considered a "holy" calling for instance.  Would you say the honestly good intending soup kitchen operator is arrogant?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: July 03, 2015, 03:46:22 pm »

As I was saying, I was using the holy used in this context:
If you have the word of God behind you, who's to judge your holy intentions.

It is basically saying, "God is behind me, I am right, you're not, you can't judge me because I'm working for God."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 523