I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 670662 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1965 on: April 28, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »

All hail everybody's favourite atheistic theist! :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 28, 2015, 03:57:56 pm »

Well, for example the sun couldn't have stood still over Gideon because it's the earth that's moving :D
Are you joking?   ;D
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 28, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »

No, that's the original argument against the geocentric model... Go read Brecht's Life of Galilei, it's a great play and very informative about this issue.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 28, 2015, 04:03:32 pm »

That is not accurate. There are several theories about the earth and universe that completely fit with what the bible describe.

...But contradict what can be observed about the earth.
In what way?

I know this will be annoying for you, but "Because God made it that way." Will probably be the answer to most of these.

He fossil record and geological strata for one thing; they contradict young-earth creationism and/or notions of mankind being a special creation at any rate (though I suppose it doesn't contradict the deist conception of a god who initiates the big bang and then leaves)

Young Earth and miraculous human origins cannot, at any rate, be simultaneously squared with the fossil/geological evidence AND the idea that God isn't dishonest (even if you do assume that "God made it that way")
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:12:36 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 28, 2015, 04:05:37 pm »

The bible was written from the perspective of humans, who at the time thought that the sun went up and down in the sky. We now understand that the earth must have stopped moving but the people back then would have perceived it as the sun stopping.

PS. It was Joshua, not Gideon
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 28, 2015, 04:07:52 pm »

The bible was written from the perspective of humans, who at the time thought that the sun went up and down in the sky. We now understand that the earth must have stopped moving but the people back then would have perceived it as the sun stopping.

PS. It was Joshua, not Gideon
Such a changeful nature only supports the elusive God of the Gaps....
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 28, 2015, 04:09:07 pm »

Sorry, sorry, it's Gibeon, not Gideon.

But now you've acknowledged that not everything in the bible is true literally... So why should the creation story not be told as perceived/understandable by people back then? It's not like they could imagine the big bang if they didn't even have the heliocentric model...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 28, 2015, 04:10:36 pm »

:D
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 28, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »

You know, I really don't get why you do this all the time, Dwarfy. Sure, it's fun once or twice, but it gets old really fast...

E: And technically it also stood still over Joshua, I guess, but that's beside the point.
The Bay12 postcard club

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: April 28, 2015, 05:10:35 pm »

I do it all the time because I can, because I'm interested, because it's educational, and because it hones my own beliefs.

How many times must I repeat that? :/
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: April 28, 2015, 07:32:08 pm »

That is not accurate. There are several theories about the earth and universe that completely fit with what the bible describe.

...But contradict what can be observed about the earth.
In what way?

I know this will be annoying for you, but "Because God made it that way." Will probably be the answer to most of these.

He fossil record and geological strata for one thing; they contradict young-earth creationism and/or notions of mankind being a special creation at any rate (though I suppose it doesn't contradict the deist conception of a god who initiates the big bang and then leaves)

Young Earth and miraculous human origins cannot, at any rate, be simultaneously squared with the fossil/geological evidence AND the idea that God isn't dishonest (even if you do assume that "God made it that way")
Young Earth Creationists have made theories regarding the fossil records. I do not know much about it, but it has to do with Noah's flood depositing lots of sediments which quickly hardened into layers after the earth dried, burying the bones deeply. Regardless, The creation museum certainly isn't afraid of fossils

I don't want to argue creation vs. evolution here because it never leads anywhere. I am just showing that with the same evidence, different theories are possible. Some with God in them, and some without.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1976 on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:20 pm »

They're not afraid of fossils, but they're also not afraid to lather it in dogma:
Dr. Snelling added that the intact skeleton of this allosaur is a testimony to an extremely rapid burial, which is confirmation of the global catastrophe of a Flood a few thousand years ago.
Michael Peroutka, one of the board members of the Foundation, says that this fossil is a testimony to the creative power of God and also lends evidence to the truth of a worldwide catastrophic flooding of the earth about 4,500 years ago as described in the Bible.
Ken Ham stated, “While evolutionists use dinosaurs more than anything to promote their worldview, especially to young students, our museum uses dinosaurs to help tell the account of history according to the Bible.”
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 29, 2015, 08:59:19 am »

They're not afraid of fossils, but they're also not afraid to lather it in dogma:
Dr. Snelling added that the intact skeleton of this allosaur is a testimony to an extremely rapid burial, which is confirmation of the global catastrophe of a Flood a few thousand years ago.
Michael Peroutka, one of the board members of the Foundation, says that this fossil is a testimony to the creative power of God and also lends evidence to the truth of a worldwide catastrophic flooding of the earth about 4,500 years ago as described in the Bible.
Ken Ham stated, “While evolutionists use dinosaurs more than anything to promote their worldview, especially to young students, our museum uses dinosaurs to help tell the account of history according to the Bible.”
True. I am not saying that this is not the only explanation for fossils being so close together. It could be that the earth was very calm as the bones became fossilized, or God just made it that way. Interpretation will change the theory for different people.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: April 29, 2015, 09:02:44 am »

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:49:49 pm by penguinofhonor »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: April 29, 2015, 09:43:52 am »

Plus there's the whole Scientific Method, where you make hypothesises and test them against observable evidence to see whether they work or not. 'God made it that way' is not testable, since there's no way to determine whether it's true or not (or people will move the goal posts and say that God made things that way too) and thus you can't use it as a theory/hypothesis since you can't predict or use it in any constructive way. 'There was a giant flood that made all of the fossils' is a better hypothesis since it is actually testable and provides a prediction about how the world works. The only problem is that that hypothesis doesn't fit in with established evidence. If a global flood did exist, then we should see a single band of fossils with all different types of animals mixed in it. Instead we have seperate bands of fossils enclosed in different types of rocks, and fossils are clearly seperated from each other by which band they appear in. Which means that either the global flood didn't happen, or the hypothesis needs to be changed to fit with what we observe.

What I'm trying to say is that different interpetations of evidence are fine, but if those interpetations don't match the evidence or can't be tested then they aren't following the scientific method and thus aren't acceptable as scientific theories. And if they aren't proper scientific theories then you can't use them to make predictions to learn more about thexworld around you, and instead just admire them from afar as pleasing but unapplyable theories.

Or something. That probably turned out more condensing then I meant it to be. Sorry about that.

EDIT: I guess that a better way of saying all of that would be, that just because different interpetations of data exist does not mean that all of the interpetations are valid. Instead they must be weeded out using the scientific method, until you have the one that fits the data the best.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:59:31 am by USEC_OFFICER »
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 523