I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661459 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1260 on: March 15, 2015, 12:32:41 pm »

Religion doesn't come into my life at all, except from a societal perspective - i.e. the morals. But, then again, I don't pick said morals because they're in the bible. I pick them because they're moral.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 15, 2015, 12:34:21 pm »

Dwarfy, your posts make up a disproportionate amount of the total in this thread - maybe deep down religion is more important to you than you might think ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 15, 2015, 12:40:08 pm »

Nah, I just love arguing. Religion is so theoretical, I can never be wrong :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #1263 on: March 15, 2015, 01:29:31 pm »

Nah, I just love arguing.

Fight! Fight! Fight!

As for myself, religion is pretty meh. I was raised Unitarian, and was never much interested in it - I remember when I was young and some friends were saying something about god, and I was all "Who dat?" and they were all "There's a man in the sky!" and I was "...No, seriously, who dat?". I find science much more useful for establishing an understanding of the world, philosophy much more useful for juding whats moral and whats not.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 15, 2015, 02:47:56 pm »

Hegel would hate you :P
Apparently there were three pillars to arguing god's existence. Post Kant and Hume they were arguably destroyed. Ontological, design and cosmological. This led to a "sea change." We stopped arguing for god's existence and started arguing for religion. Thus we moved into the post Kantian philosophy of religion. Hegel says we should move back to arguing about God.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 15, 2015, 06:27:06 pm »

Hegel would hate you :P
Apparently there were three pillars to arguing god's existence. Post Kant and Hume they were arguably destroyed. Ontological, design and cosmological. This led to a "sea change." We stopped arguing for god's existence and started arguing for religion. Thus we moved into the post Kantian philosophy of religion. Hegel says we should move back to arguing about God.
...although it's up to debate whether Hegel ever wanted to argue for God's existence as an external object, like most philosophers had been doing until his time. I'd rather say that Hegel simply took the Christian concept of God for granted, and his attempt to prove the "concrete" existence of a God is yet another demonstration of the "subjective movement of Spirit" within his own dialectic. It's pretty interesting from a psychological point of view, but since Hegel was mostly unable to tell the difference between words and things, he was poorly qualified to make any existential arguments about anything.   

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 18, 2015, 09:02:04 am »

Genesis verse 26
To sum it up, it states god and the multiple other ?gods? Exsist.
"In our likeness"
Another reason to say the bible is the knockoff version of the real thing
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 18, 2015, 09:17:55 am »

Could be the royal We
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

HeroPizza42

• Bay Watcher
  • My ☼mandrake army☼ is almost ready
    • View Profile
    • Pinterest
« Reply #1268 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:43 am »

ptw
My Pinterest

Sorry for my grammar and spelling, I have Dyslexia amongst other problems.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 18, 2015, 10:36:01 am »

Genesis verse 26
"In our likeness"

This is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit talking about themselves. They do this alot. "Let us make man in our own image"
The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are different from eachother, but together they are God.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 18, 2015, 10:38:23 am »

Pretty sure it's just the royal We.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 18, 2015, 11:04:15 am »

Genesis verse 26
"In our likeness"

This is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit talking about themselves. They do this alot. "Let us make man in our own image"
The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit are different from eachother, but together they are God.
+1
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 18, 2015, 11:13:32 am »

I've heard the Trinity explanation, and it does fit the Christian perspective.  But keep in mind that Jews follow the Old Testament (for a looong time), and they believe G-d is indivisible.  Their explanations I found say it's either the "royal we", or he was addressing his angels.

That second explanation suggests that angels naturally look like humans, though, which is a little odd.  Some angels can at least appear human-like (enough that the people of Sodom called them men).  But other angels are 6-winged beasts (Seraphim) or burning wheels (Orphanim).

Trying to figure out if even Satan's default image is humanlike, but apparently not.  He was/is a cherub.  Which are *not* exactly cute winged babies.  They are large enough for God to ride on, and have four faces - Human, Eagle, Lion, and either Ox or "cherub" (indescribably unique, I guess).

It's possible that the angels (or all the ones God was addressing then) have a human-like form, and that shared image is what God was referring to.

That would also explain why God's appearance is supposed to be beyond comprehension, and nobody can see him without dying, and yet many people had face-to-face meetings with him.  Jacob even *wrestled* with God, and WON.  And was awarded the existence of Israel:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/32.html

Awesome origin story aside, it suggests God (like the angels) has a limited human body he can walk around in.  And while this obviously isn't the true image of heavenly beings, the fact they have it in common makes it a fine image to create humanity in.

The bible is *fascinating* sometimes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:14 am »

It seems that angels have the ability to change their appearance.  Although some interpreters have said that the phrase “sons of God” in Genesis 6:2 refers to angels, the Bible frequently makes it clear that angels are nonmaterial; Hebrews 1:14 calls them ministering “spirits.”  Intrinsically, they do not possess physical bodies, although they may take on physical bodies when God appoints them to special tasks.  Furthermore, God has given them no ability to reproduce, and they neither marry nor are given in marriage (Mark 12:25)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 19, 2015, 12:37:04 am »

Trying to figure out if even Satan's default image is humanlike, but apparently not.  He was/is a cherub.  Which are *not* exactly cute winged babies.  They are large enough for God to ride on, and have four faces - Human, Eagle, Lion, and either Ox or "cherub" (indescribably unique, I guess).

I thought he was a seraph

Jacob even *wrestled* with God, and WON.  And was awarded the existence of Israel:
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/32.html

Awesome origin story aside, it suggests God (like the angels) has a limited human body he can walk around in.

Or alternately, that wrestling is fixed.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 523