I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661117 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1170 on: March 08, 2015, 03:58:44 am »

Sleeping is just one example of a situation where your consciousness (and your self?) appears to be temporarily extinguished. Is there any reason to presume that consciousness is uninterruptible in the first place? What if it's discontinuous in the same way as visual perception, which has a natural refresh rate of about 12 FPS? If consciousness is periodically renewed in a similar manner, who's to say that you're not dying a dozen deaths per second?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 08, 2015, 04:00:14 am »

I'm pretty sure the natural refresh rate of visual perception is a bit higher than 12 FPS...
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1172 on: March 08, 2015, 04:16:38 am »

Quote from: Professor Wikipedia
The human eye and its brain interface, the human visual system, can process 10 to 12 separate images per second, perceiving them individually.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 08, 2015, 04:27:59 am »

Hehe, I was about to post the same link.
When the images are perceived as a continuous movement, it's already a sign of the fact that you are missing something in between the frames and your brain is interpolating to fill in the gaps. The threshold for that is probably higher than 12 FPS, and as we know, about 45 FPS is necessary to prevent flicker on a film/computer screen, but the exact numbers are not relevant to a XXPhilosophical DebateXX.

EDIT: In my opinion, the most frightful aspect of the teleporter thought-experiment is that a supervillain would eventually try to conquer the world with an army of clones. Meeting an atom-by-atom copy of yourself would certainly be interesting, since it would be like looking at a mirror-image made flesh. Your "copy" would say and do exactly the same things as you would, resulting in a very strong illusion of a shared consciousness, which would be enough to convince either of you to voluntarily disappear (or make another "copy", if you are a supervillain). This scenario would be an empirical proof of the epiphenomenality of consciousness, perhaps the strongest proof you could get (too bad it's impossible).   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:47:50 am by surqimus »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 08, 2015, 04:38:32 am »

Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you were saying something else.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1175 on: March 08, 2015, 04:50:04 am »

There's also a visible difference between 60 FPS and even higher rates. Still, not really relevant.

I'll talk more about the oblivion/sleep-death thing in the morning. For now I'm going to bed.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 08, 2015, 08:37:29 am »

... people say that, but I can't really tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, much less 60 and something higher. It all looks and plays about the same to me once you're past the point of obvious stutters, which happens (for me, anyway) in the 30+ range.

Unless the thing's gone buggy and that causes everything to go into super-speed ala old dos games on a modern computer, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 08, 2015, 09:05:05 am »

There's also a visible difference between 60 FPS and even higher rates. Still, not really relevant.

I'll talk more about the oblivion/sleep-death thing in the morning. For now I'm going to bed.
you mean another version of Orangewizard will tall more about it. Not you, surely
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 08, 2015, 10:14:57 am »

I don't really like the idea of oblivion and repeatedly dying.
+1

I like the idea of eternal living in paradise much better
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 08, 2015, 10:35:02 am »

I've always been fond of just plain oblivion, myself. Several decades of this shit is more than enough to want to peacefully sleep for the rest of eternity, and I've yet to see a description of an afterlife that wasn't either some sort of fridge horror or boring as hell (or both, in some cases). Just... let me have peace, damnit. Or at least eternal epic!dream mode or somethin'.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 08, 2015, 10:52:46 am »

Agreed, I'm actually comforted that the Jewish afterlife for gentiles seems to be... well, there isn't one.
I'm absolutely scared of dying, but only instinctively...  A dreamless sleep isn't terrifying, just disappointing.
Huh.  And yet the idea of never waking up just makes my skin crawl.  The survival instinct is just that strong, it's an overwhelming yet irrational fear.

Really, the idea of being forced to live forever should be the terrifying one.  Though I'd love to spend a few decades or centuries as a time-traveling, completely passive observer.  There's no reason to believe that happens, but it wouldn't affect reality at all so... why not?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 08, 2015, 11:09:42 am »

I don't really like the idea of oblivion and repeatedly dying.
+1

I like the idea of eternal living in paradise much better
No doubt that's why you believe it.

Also, nothingness here too. I'd much prefer immortality (with an in-built die option) but, on the other hand it beats what Cryxis thinks is waiting for me.

Which reminds me of something I said a few years ago and which subsequently stuck in my mind- "religion was made by old men afraid of their own mortality."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 08, 2015, 11:11:55 am »

re. oblivion

But then from one's own perspective it's equivalent to never having existed in the first place (unless we take four-dimensionalism into account
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 08, 2015, 11:22:05 am »

It's only waiting if you let it.
Don't say I didn't try to help you if we die and you go there.
But if I'm wrong and there is no afterlife I can be fine with the nothingness to come
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 08, 2015, 11:29:58 am »

... except it wouldn't be help, t'me. The christian afterlife is damnation regardless of which direction you go, from my perspective. Infinite torture or infinite slavery with a side of grotesque personality reconstruction -- both sound pretty horrible. I personally want nothing to do with any aspect of an abrahamic afterlife, short of maybe the bit where people are just annihilated.

'Course, the heaven generally isn't framed that way, but that's why it's fridge horror instead of just straight up :-\

Bleh. I should have remembered there's a reason I generally don't like thinking too hard about religious afterlife scenarios...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 523